FYI: Diamonds and DeBeers's brainwashing

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Old article, but a good read. No doubt the same shenanigans are still going on.

If you must buy a diamond for some reason, buy estate jewelry or synthetic.

I know that DeBeers was really scares when synthetic, gem-quality diamonds started hitting the market. Thats why they have a new certification program.

Last edited:

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
Another reason I love my wife. She doesn't feel diamonds are anything special either.

I have better ways of showing my affection to her than metal and rocks.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
"Estate jewelry" is actually a good term to use on women, it sounds much better than "used diamond."

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
You could argue that DeBeers has pulled off the greatest marketing campaign in the history of civilization. They convinced people that they needed this (useless) product. They developed an atmosphere of peer pressure that subtly urges the civilized world that they must purchase their product or be seen as skinflints who don't love their partners. They convinced people that their product is very valuable, worth a lot of money and retains that value even as there was never any evidence that it was (or is) true.

Perhaps the best part was getting an entire society to believe that there was a benchmark amount to spend on the product - two months' salary for an engagement ring.

I have always been impressed with their ability to pull off this Jedi mind trick on such a large number of people and continue to do so for many decades. It's simply brilliant.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Reminds me of what I read yesterday:

Huge diamond field boasting ‘trillions of carats’ discovered in Russian meteorite crater

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wor...eorite-crater-article-1.1162011#ixzz26q38R9Q7

I bet this will make absolutely zero impact on diamond prices.

Diamond industry is a big scam. Prices are artificially controlled by the monopoly. Supply was never a problem, as there are enough diamonds by DeBeers for everyone in the world to have a cup full of it.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
You could argue that DeBeers has pulled off the greatest marketing campaign in the history of civilization.

The only argument would be whether religion is/was a marketing campaign. If so, religion is #1, DeBeers is #2 and nothing else is close. If you don't view religion as marketing and instead view it as being spread through force rather than public relations, then DeBeers is more successful than all other marketing campaigns combined.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
You could argue that DeBeers has pulled off the greatest marketing campaign in the history of civilization. They convinced people that they needed this (useless) product. They developed an atmosphere of peer pressure that subtly urges the civilized world that they must purchase their product or be seen as skinflints who don't love their partners. They convinced people that their product is very valuable, worth a lot of money and retains that value even as there was never any evidence that it was (or is) true.

Perhaps the best part was getting an entire society to believe that there was a benchmark amount to spend on the product - two months' salary for an engagement ring.

I have always been impressed with their ability to pull off this Jedi mind trick on such a large number of people and continue to do so for many decades. It's simply brilliant.

/this

fuck you wanting a ring 2 months salary for a engagement ring? then a wedding ring? yeah..

and the whole marketing idea of "show her you love her. get her a diamond" or whatever it was. yeah fuck you. i don't need a damn diamond to show someone i love them and if that is what she needs? she ain't the women for me.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
It's the unfortunate reason that marketing departments will never go away: When done well, it's extremely effective.

"Here's a thing you have never seen before, nor have you ever needed it. Well this thing is now the most important thing you can possibly want, and you will do whatever we think you should do in order to get it."
"Oh. Ok then."

One of the greatest.
I can think of another one that's even larger and more pervasive, but there are plenty of threads on that subject right now. ;)

And hey, I love diamonds too. Such an exceptionally stable crystalline structure, such excellent hardness and thermal conductivity. It's a damn fine material. Since artificial ones can be made more perfectly than natural ones, I just don't see much need for the latter. :p

"Here's one that was made by science, in a lab, in a high-tech pressure cooker, built up a layer of atoms at a time. This one was buried under a lot of dirt, and was likely dug up by mistreated third-world laborers." Ooh, yeah, I want the second one.

Last edited:

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
You should link newer information too. The DeBeers monopoly is over. Diamonds crashed in price in 2008. Much of the diamond production now is in Russia and Canada where DeBeers has little to no control. DeBeers no longer buys diamonds and floods markets to control price. The Oppenheimer family (the force behind DeBeers) is out of the business. Class action lawsuits and government actions have crippled the monopolistic capabilities. Etc...

I'm not saying that some points of the OP are wrong, but I am saying that many of the points have been resolved.

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
"Here's one that was made by science, in a lab, in a high-tech pressure cooker, built up a layer of atoms at a time. This one was buried under a lot of dirt, and was likely dug up by mistreated third-world laborers." Ooh, yeah, I want the second one.

Nothing shows more dead Africans that brought the diamond means you must love her more.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
You should link newer information too. The DeBeers monopoly is over. Diamonds crashed in price in 2008. Much of the diamond production now is in Russia and Canada where DeBeers has little to no control. DeBeers no longer buys diamonds and floods markets to control price. The Oppenheimer family (the force behind DeBeers) is out of the business. Class action lawsuits and government actions have crippled the monopolistic capabilities. Etc...

I'm not saying that some points of the OP are wrong, but I am saying that many of the points have been resolved.
Ah, from a 1982 issue. Yeah, that might be a repost.

Does this count as a "historic document" now? :$

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
what does diamonds have to do with love? i spent ~$2500 for a diamond ring back on our 7 year anniversary and i think she hates me more now than before.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
every woman wants a shiny diamond, whether they admit it to you or not

men deal with it...women want to be treated like women just as ,em want to be treated like men

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
The ads that Smyth has been running all look like this:
Engagement-Slide.jpg

Yeah, better bribe her fast with a mineral crystal, since heaven knows that she doesn't love you as a PERSON.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Regardless of DeBeers having billions of diamonds, they are very limited to the consumer. Most diamonds you'd buy at a jeweler didn't come from DeBeers directly (most don't realize it's very rare to get a 'new diamond').

Synthetics as engagement rings are for the poor to feel better about themselves, or for those with awesome stones to wear day to day without fear of sentimental loss.

It's like the whole no down payment thing on a home...too many that were not prepared just rushed in to buy since there was no skin in the game. Same with picking up these non-precious metal rings and artificial stones.

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003

I don't see why anyone cares anyway. Manufactured diamonds are fine for industrial purposes, and for jewellery, the only reason people want them is because they're expensive. If you could get a ring with a big ass diamond for $50, would women still want them as wedding rings?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

sorry bro, but this is about 90% of the way the world. The sad part is the bitch with the fake 5 carat ring on her finger is probably going to be the most vocal "about do you know who I am".

No one wants an ugly spouse, no spouse wants to be told a fake ring is the best you can do. May work well in one's 20's, but by late 30's and 40's you are just telling everyone you aren't financially stable yet.

No one has to go out and pay 5 figures for a nice ring, but one should be expected to at least make a sacrifice on this purchase like any other major one people go through.

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
Another reason I love my wife. She doesn't feel diamonds are anything special either.

I have better ways of showing my affection to her than metal and rocks.

Same here. My wife loves sapphires, but she doesn't care how much it cost, how pure it is, or whether it's real or synthetic. She just loves the deep blue color. She's just as happy with a $90 synthetic sapphire piece as she is with a $500+ real sapphire, and probably happier, since she doesn't have to stress as much about not damaging or losing it (her words).

One of the many reasons why I married her. :)

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
No one has to go out and pay 5 figures for a nice ring, but one should be expected to at least make a sacrifice on this purchase like any other major one people go through.
A diamond is a dowry. A form of proof that the buyer can earn a living, do more than just scrape by, and can actually save money for a future goal. Is it the only way to do it? No, but it is a nearly universally recognized symbol of all that. Hate diamonds? Fine, don't buy one. But a person who can afford to buy one is often a better prospect than one who can't. A very nice stone is only a grand or two. This isn't a big expense. It shouldn't put you in debt. It isn't a car or a house, but an affordable bauble to be a bauble.

Last edited:
May 13, 2009
Same here. My wife loves sapphires, but she doesn't care how much it cost, how pure it is, or whether it's real or synthetic. She just loves the deep blue color. She's just as happy with a $90 synthetic sapphire piece as she is with a $500+ real sapphire, and probably happier, since she doesn't have to stress as much about not damaging or losing it (her words).

One of the many reasons why I married her. :)

My wife is the same but I wasn't gonna be enough of an ass to cheap her out like that. I'll save money by taking my lunch to work not buying my wife costume jewelry. She told me to buy the cheaper one and I said no and told the jeweler to get the better one. She loves it to this day.