FX6300 still relevant?

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I am thinking of buying one of these along with the Asus M5A97 R2.0 AM3+ mobo. I have 8 gigs of G-Skill DDR3 for it, and a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo handy.

It would replace the dual core setup in my signature. I don't want to spend over $200 total to upgrade the computer. I also plan to install Windows 8.1 on it, and figured this might be a good time to kick it up a few notches.

I don't really see anything from AMD coming with Kaveri in my price range. Also the Intel cpu that I would want is $170, the cheapest quad core from them. Along with a new mobo it is just a bit much for the extra cash I have for this.

Currently the computer is used for some gaming, photo editing, and general use in the living room. I also want USB 3, the UEFI bios, and the ability to charge things while the pc is off etc.

Thoughts?

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
An Intel i3 will be faster than an FX6300 in your usage, and is in your price range, assuming you have a GPU already.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2008
What kind of games do you play? If you primarily play older games, the i3 will be a better choice. If you play newer, heavily threaded games, the FX6300 is a better choice, especially if you can overclock a bit.

Dont see the point of waiting for Kaveri since you have a strong dgpu already.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
As always, it's the usage pattern, mainly which games will be played, as already stated. I've had really good results with the Haswell i3s for general use and light gaming. Intel's done something that has made them seem really quick, well over and above the IB i3s, imo. New i3s just murder the 6300 in single thread performance, and the HT really makes it seem like they have a whole other core on tap.

Last edited: