FX-8350 w/Wraith Cooler $119.08 Sh/Prime Asus mobo $89/$69 after Rebate Sh/Prime

Replay

Golden Member
Aug 5, 2001
Microcenter still has in-store deals & bundles on the FX series (and Ryzen). Today's ad had FX-8320E at 79.99 (plus take off another $30 with mobo purchase), also doing FX 8350 & Wraith 99.99 (less another 30 with mobo), Ryzen 3 1200 quad 109.99 (less another 30 with mobo) etc..

Thinking of FX 8xxx upgrades for FX 4130's @4.8 GHz in rigs for LAN guests.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
OzTalksHW on YouTube did some benchmark / comparison videos, with the FX-8xxx CPUs and the Ryzen 3 CPUs.

The takeaway is, the R3 kicks butt.

For the same money, you would be better off investing in Ryzen, IMHO. The poor IPC of the FX Piledriver CPUs is just too limiting.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
OzTalksHW on YouTube did some benchmark / comparison videos, with the FX-8xxx CPUs and the Ryzen 3 CPUs.

The takeaway is, the R3 kicks butt.

For the same money, you would be better off investing in Ryzen, IMHO. The poor IPC of the FX Piledriver CPUs is just too limiting.

THIS. Spending money on Piledriver this late is the game is just silly. The 1300X destroys any of the FX's on single thread performance and is substantially more efficient.

Replay

Golden Member
Aug 5, 2001
Would probably still buy FX 8xxx at the right price, as a drop in upgrade for the two FX 4130 rigs. The cheapest Ryzen is in line for the next generation of budget LAN rigs.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Well I looked and figured in the cost of a mobo with not even enough usb ports (for me), ram (the cheapest), and a ryzen 1300, and to get about 5-8 more fps, it would cost over $150 more, if I was to just use my 16gigs of ddr3 I have now and get the above and just wait for prices to come down in the next year or so to go with a better cpu then something thats just gonna get a little better fps over a 8350. If youre on a budget and have the ram laying around I still think coming up from something worse then the above and pockets are tight, the above is still a good choice, for not all, like me, are made of money, and to gain so little fps, and cough up that much more, and wth is up with the lesser usb ports, I have a ton of crap hooked up to my pc, I need a butt load of usb ports, which means if I went with a lesser am4 mobo Id have to buy usb riser cards as well, so I think if you wanted to get something, sorta updated with usb 3.1 jacks, and on a tight budget and can live with a 10~ fps hit, the above is still a good choice for some.

Also, if you went with the lesser cpu now, when you upgrade later to something bigger in the cpu department, you just wasted your money buying a 1200 or 1300x, and upgrading later. So me, Id get the above, make due with it if coming from something much older then a FX, and just wait for the hype to subside a bit, if your itching to upgrade to something now, and the pockets are kinda on the dry side. Also if youre gonna just be gaming, the above paired up with a GTX1070 or better, or a pair of them, you wont need a Ryzen, FPS with be a plenty, well over 60fps with all they eye candy turned all the way up no matter what you will be playing, especially since most just play at 1080P anyway :p

Last edited:

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
If youre on a budget

If you're on a budget, wait and save up more. Being on a budget doesn't magically make a bad purchase a good one.

Also, if you went with the lesser cpu now, when you upgrade later to something bigger in the cpu department, you just wasted your money buying a 1200 or 1300x, and upgrading later.

So instead you're going to waste your money on an outdated, dead end platform?

Reactions: VirtualLarry

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Because if you upgrade you will spend not only the money you would of spent on this set up, but over the $150 more depending on what mobo you ended up buying, and ram, and then having to yet update your cpu as well later on. Whereas also, this set up can still be passed on to a sibling or elder, how do you just pass on a cpu? Youd make more on the back end passing on you old cpu, mobo, and then ram also if you bought this and waited for this hype to slow down. If youre only going to be gaming with your rig really, what diff will it make if you game on this at 90 fps with this, then spending the above $205~ (using the ddr3 you got laying around), then spending the $205, and $150+ getting a Ryzen 1300+, more ram, and other mobo that may lack the usb inputs you may need,(like I would I have over 10 plugged in), making you spend more the the $150 more over the $205, you would of spent, just to get a few more fps??? I dont get it, and then it would be easier to just slap in the FX mobo, ram, cpu/fan, in a cheap case and give it to your kid or Parent to go surf the web on the super cheap :p Get a Ryzen, you pay more, get just a few more fps, then in the future still have to buy more to get more fps over what you used to get, get half of what you paid for your 1300+, parents dont get a new computer, or your sibling, they pissed at you now :O :p :)

Thats where I can see the value in this. Yes outdated, but to play games with it, whats it gonna show you different the Ryzen will do, doesnt the graphics take care of that ;)