Fx-8350 overclock

DAMONMCHALE

Nov 10, 2016
Hi all, im having issues getting stable overclocks on my fx-8350.

My current system.
Mobo gigibyte Ga-990fx-gaming
Cpu fx 8350
Gpu xfx rx480
Psu corsair cx750m
Cpu cooler H100i v2 240mm

im currently sitting at 4.6Ghz @ 1.475v and need help getting to 4.8Ghz or even 5Ghz hopefully. Im having issues with my load line calibration and not holding a good voltage. On medium it sits at 1.45v loaded and 1.475v unloaded. On extreme it sits at 1.525v loaded and 1.475 unloaded. Im having issues cooling it when voltage is high on extreme llc. But on medium llc i cant keep it stable. Any tips on picking the right llc or getting higher OC without so much voltage?

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

superstition

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2008
Hi all, im having issues getting stable overclocks on my fx-8350.

My current system.
Mobo gigibyte Ga-990fx-gaming
Cpu fx 8350
Gpu xfx rx480
Psu corsair cx750m
Cpu cooler H100i v2 240mm

im currently sitting at 4.6Ghz @ 1.475v and need help getting to 4.8Ghz or even 5Ghz hopefully. Im having issues with my load line calibration and not holding a good voltage. On medium it sits at 1.45v loaded and 1.475v unloaded. On extreme it sits at 1.525v loaded and 1.475 unloaded. Im having issues cooling it when voltage is high on extreme llc. But on medium llc i cant keep it stable. Any tips on picking the right llc or getting higher OC without so much voltage?

Medium LLC is what you need. That overvolting on extreme isn't useful and you're probably going to get spikes even higher that your sensor doesn't pick up. It means you need to bump up your base voltage BIOS setting when using Medium or something else isn't set right — like too little CPU NB voltage or VRM overheating from lack of cooling.

What are your VRM temps under Prime in HWINFO64? What is your NB temp? CPU temp? What is your CPU NB voltage set to?

Also, your board isn't that good. It may not going to get to you 4.8 and likely won't get you to above that in Prime 27.9 doing 700–900K in place. At the very least you're going to need very very strong airflow through the VRM sink.

strike105x said:
Hi does anyone have any info on the gigabyte 990X gaming SLI VRMs ? How good are they for overclocking...
The Stilt said:
Doubled 4+1 phase analog VRM. Not particularly good. 970A-UD3P has a better VRM (doubled 4+1 phase digital).
The UD3P 2.0 VRMs, by the way, get extremely hot at just 4.7 GHz while testing in Prime even with a 140mm fan blowing toward it on an angle and partially out the back (which I found is more optimal than having a smaller fan mounted straight down on the sink). The heatsink is small and the thermal pad is likely not very special. The 990 board has the heatpipe from the northbridge to the VRMs which might raise temps even more or which might help if you have enough airflow on the NB sink as well. I don't know if the thermal pad is better on the 990.

Actually, now that I look at a photo of your board the pipe goes down to the southbridge, too. All that extra metal and the way heat can flow all the way to the southbridge should help VRM cooling as long as the thermal pad is effective enough. Make sure you have strong airflow at all three heat sink points.
felix said:
I hope that this is not the case also with it's sibling, the GA-990FX-Gaming.
The Stilt said:

For the highest FX clocks you want a Sabertooth R2 or a Crosshair Formula. The Crosshair in particular has a lot of VRM surface area. But you need to cool the socket because it gets quite toasty. The Aura board has a native 7+1 phase setup but not much VRM heatsink surface area. Even the Sabertooth and Crosshair boards are doubled 4s but they're high-quality. The Crosshair even has a 4 pin power plug to deliver extra power.

I would aim for 4.8 Ghz. Even with a custom loop you're probably not going to get 4.9 or above stable. You may want to replace the stock thermal pad with a higher-end Fujipoly if your VRM temps are high.

Last edited:

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Have you tried medium LLC and a bit more base voltage? I've seen a number of FX's on higher clocks than that on air, it likely has more in it so long as your power delivery is ok and your CPU temp is under control.

Even if it tops out at 4.6GHz, 4.8-5GHz is only a few percent more performance.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I haven't been using my FX machine, but I found that my 8350 was a bit temperamental when overclocked. 4.6ghz was pretty stable, with the very rare lock up at idle. Any higher was stable until I spike in load; 4.9ghz was really too hot and required a ton of voltage.

Wracked my brain and tried many different configs, but without going into the red zone I couldn't get it stable. This was on the Crosshair V FZ too...

DAMONMCHALE

Nov 10, 2016
Ok well im hitting my thermal and noise limits lol so maybe i drop back to 4.5 and call it good.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
You aren't really going to notice much of a usable performance difference in clocking it any higher anyway, as previously mentioned by others.

superstition

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2008
Ok well im hitting my thermal and noise limits lol so maybe i drop back to 4.5 and call it good.

If you want a solution to your issue I suggest providing the information I asked for.

What are your VRM temps under Prime in HWINFO64?
What is your NB temp?
CPU temp?
What is your CPU NB voltage set to in BIOS? How high and low does it go in HWINFO64 when running Prime?
Do you have a fan blowing significant air onto the VRM sink?
Do you have a fan blowing significant air onto the NB sink?
Have you tried mounting a fan behind the socket?
You aren't really going to notice much of a usable performance difference in clocking it any higher anyway, as previously mentioned by others.
If you're throttling, yes. Otherwise, these FX chips get their main weakness — single thread performance — addressed with overclocking. It doesn't erase the deficit but every bit of extra speed helps with it.

4.7 GHz is what I would target if I were him with that setup, not 4.5. However, how much fan noise he wants from his CPU cooler can make a big difference in that respect.

superstition

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2008
I haven't been using my FX machine, but I found that my 8350 was a bit temperamental when overclocked. 4.6ghz was pretty stable, with the very rare lock up at idle. Any higher was stable until I spike in load; 4.9ghz was really too hot and required a ton of voltage.

Wracked my brain and tried many different configs, but without going into the red zone I couldn't get it stable. This was on the Crosshair V FZ too...
Any 8350 with a CFZ should get beyond 4.6 unless you have a weak CPU cooler, unless the CPU was degraded. The Stilt said that leakage for AMD's 32nm SOI has been reduced by 45% since the process debuted, though — making old samples hotter.