FX 8300 vs Intel

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

superstition

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2008
Not sure if 8320E is worth ~30$ more over 8300, especially if he decides to overclock these to 4GHz like they should be run :D.
It's not. 4 GHz should be easily achieved with an 8300. (Of course, you need a board and PSU that won't blow up with an 8350 at stock.)

Be sure to disable APM to prevent throttling.
If you read the thread, you'd know that I overclock my FX chips. :)
So?

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
It's not. 4 GHz should be easily achieved with an 8300. (Of course, you need a board and PSU that won't blow up with an 8350 at stock.)

Be sure to disable APM to prevent throttling.

So?

You also must then know that I would choose the 8320E if I were going to overclock?

So what are you talking about? :)

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/jfYscc

If you go with anything AM3+ at this point, you are just punishing yourself.

thats a sub 500$ intel skylake rig, fully upgradeable to i7's from current, and karby lake generation.

AND if you buy one of those windows 7 pro keys for 20$ on the forums, you can save another 63$, which you can put towards... whatever. discreet video, etc. Either way, ZERO reason to do an AM3 at this point.

Windows 7 is not an OS I would consider running in 2016.

That build doesn't include other parts I need, such as storage drives, a monitor, and it has a worse PSU than what I've spec'ed. Here's my build.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZnG9TH

I have a case, GPU, keyboard and mouse already.

For those asking about budget: Ideally under $500, with every part I need, but I have a hard cap of $550 - I simply don't wish to spend more than that. So, I do have some leeway to pick a better board and add a better HSF. How does the Hyper 212 Evo do with overclocked FX chips?

Last edited:

Geforce man

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2004
So, you are not aware that windows 7 upgrades to 10 pro for free? hence... 20$ windows 10pro?

You already have a GPU as well? well there you go, 63$ and another 50, as you said you can go to 550$, gets you the ssd as a boot drive, and a WD black 2+tb drive. Plus it comes with a HSF that will do the job just fine, and the system will consume less power, get things done faster (most likely), and be upgradeable for the current, and next gen. Or you can buy 2012 vintage equipment.

Your call I guess, but again, if you go AMD at this point in time, its because of fierce brand loyalty, not dollars and sense.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/PkWFf8

That includes a storage drive, and a monitor, and I might even have a windows 7 pro key laying around, or 20$ on the forums.

You can go to an ADATA drive for another 6-8$ less, and choose a cheaper monitor as well.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/H7sD4C

There ya go.

Under budget, 20$ windows 7 pro which is FREE TO WINDOWS 10PRO, 546$. Better investment now, better investment longer term. Also that last link includes an IPS monitor as well.

Gold powersupply is great, but un-needed. the Intel system will consume roughly 1/2 the wattage of the AMD system, if not more. The eVGA 500B is a highly reviewed and highly praised PSU. But you could use the under-budget savings to hop up to a more expensive one if you feel like it.

Last edited:

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
For a new 2016 build i would go for the Core i5 6500 system even if the FX8350 (4GHz) would be 5-10% faster (i highly doubt it will be).

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
So, you are not aware that windows 7 upgrades to 10 pro for free? hence... 20$ windows 10pro?

You already have a GPU as well? well there you go, 63$ and another 50, as you said you can go to 550$, gets you the ssd as a boot drive, and a WD black 2+tb drive. Plus it comes with a HSF that will do the job just fine, and the system will consume less power, get things done faster (most likely), and be upgradeable for the current, and next gen. Or you can buy 2012 vintage equipment.

Your call I guess, but again, if you go AMD at this point in time, its because of fierce brand loyalty, not dollars and sense.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/PkWFf8

That includes a storage drive, and a monitor, and I might even have a windows 7 pro key laying around, or 20$ on the forums.

You can go to an ADATA drive for another 6-8$ less, and choose a cheaper monitor as well.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/H7sD4C

There ya go.

Under budget, 20$ windows 7 pro which is FREE TO WINDOWS 10PRO, 546$. Better investment now, better investment longer term. Also that last link includes an IPS monitor as well.

Gold powersupply is great, but un-needed. the Intel system will consume roughly 1/2 the wattage of the AMD system, if not more. The eVGA 500B is a highly reviewed and highly praised PSU. But you could use the under-budget savings to hop up to a more expensive one if you feel like it.

The reason I decided to get an AMD system is that I remain unconvinced the performance delta is worth the extra cost to go Intel for my usage case, and with a $200 processor, I have to force myself to skimp on other parts.

A second consideration is that I won't actually need to upgrade the processor to something far more powerful unless I start creating content in 4k, and I can't do that because my gaming laptop doesn't have performance for 4k, so until I upgrade to a more powerful gaming rig, I'll solely be editing 1080p.

As for the free Windows 10 upgrade, that expires 6/30, and I'm buying the system piecemeal starting next month. The OS is the last thing I'll be buying.

Last edited:

Geforce man

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2004
The reason I decided to get an AMD system is that I remain unconvinced the performance delta is worth the extra cost to go Intel for my usage case, and with a $200 processor, I have to force myself to skimp on other parts.

A second consideration is that I won't actually need to upgrade the processor to something far more powerful unless I start creating content in 4k, and I can't do that because my gaming laptop doesn't have performance for 4k, so until I upgrade to a more powerful gaming rig, I'll solely be editing 1080p.

As for the free Windows 10 upgrade, that expires 6/30, and I'm buying the system piecemeal starting next month. The OS is the last thing I'll be buying.

The upgrade period end date is 7/29/16. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/upgrade-to-windows-10-faq

There is no extra cost, other than maybe 5-10$? I fail to see your logic, but it is your money and you can buy what you want. Just realize that performance wise, fiscally, and for the good of the planet power usage wise, you are making the wrong choice.

In fact if you could drop down to a 250-300w quality psu for cheaper, that would be even better, as the AMD chip at STOCK load can consume, by itself, close to 180w, even though it says "95w", that coupled with the 4 year old motherboard tech, which also consumes considerably more wattage than the intel counterparts, you'd be using even more. Likely max power usage for the intel system w/out a videocard is 80w, whilst the AMD system, if you could somehow run it w/out a videocard, would be closer to 200w, if not more. However you can't do this, as AM3+/8300 is so archaic, there is no on chip graphic capability. Its nice to have a backup if/when upgrading, or if videocard fails.

Either way, you aren't "skimping", you would be buying newer, more modern parts, which will likely run cooler, quieter, less power hungry, and faster to boot.

I'm not telling you these things because I hate AMD, which I don't, I am running one of their videocards now. I used to exclusively purchase AMD chips for my PCs, and the PCs I built for friends and family members. They stopped being competitive over 4 years ago. Currently, I consider them a great video-card maker, and that is about it.

Last edited:

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
So at roughly the same price, will the 6400t only having 4 threads, beat an overclocked 8300 having 8 threads?

I do understand your point about the FX chips being older technology, but I don't consider it a problem - it's a brand new part with a warranty. I'd consider the age of it, were it used and warrantyless.

Geforce man

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2004
6400t? Likely not in everything, but in some yes. 6500 on the other hand ? Likely a win in 99% of scenarios.

Plus... overclocks on a production machine... never a good idea.

Look at total machine cost, not individual chip. And as the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
At stock speeds, the E3-1270v3 comes very very close to a max overclocked (4.7GHz) 8 thread Vishera, while beating it handily in ST and roughly emitting less than half the heat; it will run in most cheap Haswell boards.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
6400t? Likely not in everything, but in some yes. 6500 on the other hand ? Likely a win in 99% of scenarios.

Plus... overclocks on a production machine... never a good idea.

Look at total machine cost, not individual chip. And as the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

I have to look at the individual cost because I was planning on buying piecemeal over the next few months, vs saving (longer, for an Intel).

At stock speeds, the E3-1270v3 comes very very close to a max overclocked (4.7GHz) 8 thread Vishera, while beating it handily in ST and roughly emitting less than half the heat; it will run in most cheap Haswell boards.

Aaaand it's used. Nope. Only considering new for this build.

Last edited:

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
After 4 pages, I have to wonder if there was a real point to this thread. OP seemed to have made up his mind at some point prior to post #1

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
After 4 pages, I have to wonder if there was a real point to this thread. OP seemed to have made up his mind at some point prior to post #1

Actually, I have not. Until I start buying parts, it's all up in the air. I'll probably start with stuff like the display, PSU, etc.

I'm slightly leaning towards an i5 6400t as it's basically the same overall price and it has an upgrade path.

My only real requirements ares hard cap of $550, everything but case, kb/m and no used parts.

And 4 pages? I only see one.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
With the default view it's at 4 pages. I should have probably said 86 posts instead.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
Actually, I have not. Until I start buying parts, it's all up in the air. I'll probably start with stuff like the display, PSU, etc.

I'm slightly leaning towards an i5 6400t as it's basically the same overall price and it has an upgrade path.

My only real requirements ares hard cap of $550, everything but case, kb/m and no used parts.

And 4 pages? I only see one.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($194.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI H110M Pro-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($47.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($28.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Patriot Torch LE 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($56.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Toshiba P300 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($38.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer ($13.89 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($83.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $555.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-04 18:25 EDT-0400

That will do it. Fat dump drive with reasonable SSD for 10. Monitor isn't possible with Intel.

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($194.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI H110M Pro-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($47.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($28.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Patriot Torch LE 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($56.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Toshiba P300 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($38.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer ($13.89 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($83.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $555.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-04 18:25 EDT-0400

That will do it. Fat dump drive with reasonable SSD for 10. Monitor isn't possible with Intel.

2 of the 3 programs he mentions (Photoshp, Sony Movie Studio) can use OpenCL. So tossing in a GPU in there would probably be useful.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I have to look at the individual cost because I was planning on buying piecemeal over the next few months, vs saving (longer, for an Intel).

Aaaand it's used. Nope. Only considering new for this build.
Every PC I have is running on a used CPU, 3 out of 4 were used when I got them. None of them had cooties, no used CPU I have ever purchased used has been DOA, nor have any subsequently failed. To each their own, but I wanted to put that out there for others who might read this thread.

Zodiark1593

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2012
If it's a locked sku of a CPU (as is this Xeon), I wouldn't hesitate myself as they're unlikely to have ever been abused in their lifetime, and unless DoA, will likely work for a great many years.

However, I can understand that Peace of Mind thing with warranty.

Not sure about that 2.7 GHz i5-6400 though. That clock speed likes quite low. That AMD chip could probably beat it out even.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
Yeah, I'm not a fan of that 2.7ghz, for $167 OEM aka no stock fan?

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Yeah, I'm not a fan of that 2.7ghz, for $167 OEM aka no stock fan?

I didn't see that the retail was only $12 more. I was going to add the HSF I used in my server to the system for $19.

I don't know. It doesn't seem like I'll be getting the performance I want for the price I'll be paying. I have to get everything in under $550, including monitor because I don't actually have one.

Maybe I will just forget about building a box specifically for this and schedule time for rendering on my Xeon transcoding/storage server.

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Every PC I have is running on a used CPU, 3 out of 4 were used when I got them. None of them had cooties, no used CPU I have ever purchased used has been DOA, nor have any subsequently failed. To each their own, but I wanted to put that out there for others who might read this thread.

I've never had any issues with used CPUs either. In terms of CPUs (and luxury cars too), let someone else take the depreciation cost.