fx 6300 on an asus m4a89gtd pr0

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
I upgraded to an 8320 on this board and I also have throtteling at 4ghz and above. It only seems to happen when all threads are used, so I keep it at 4.6ghz now since I primarily use the pc for gaming. I tried aiming a table fan at full on the vrms but it didn't seem to make any difference.

Did you lose the throtteling with your setup kingfatty?

I haven't fixed my issue yet, I haven't had time. But my PC will also be used for a gaming machine, is it really that big of a deal if throttles a little bit? Does it put wear on your motherboard? The PC won't see much 100% and even if it did would throttling really be that bad?

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
I upgraded to an 8320 on this board and I also have throtteling at 4ghz and above. It only seems to happen when all threads are used, so I keep it at 4.6ghz now since I primarily use the pc for gaming. I tried aiming a table fan at full on the vrms but it didn't seem to make any difference.

Did you lose the throtteling with your setup kingfatty?

So far it seems to not throttle, but I'm still looking for a definitive way to detect throttling.

For example, is there any utility that can monitor the CPU and see if it downclocks at all, even for a microsecond to where I wouldn't see it on a graph or it wouldn't really affect benchmarks? I was using, ah, the utility that lets you display graphs for every aspect of the system, and the CPU frequency was a rock solid line, so it appears to not have dips from throttling.

I wonder if the desk fan is enough, or do you need to force the air over the VRM heatsinks using fans up in their face? Can you try benchmarking using the utility that plots the CPU frequency and see if it dips predictably?

Kalessian

Aug 18, 2004
Sorry to necro but thread has useful context.

Do any of you still use a vishera in the m4a89(g)td pro/usb3?

I ask because I just set one up. I am noticing that the default vid for cpu-nb for Vishera in these boards is 1.55V, which is very high.

Have anyone found out anything about this? Is this number real or just the motherboard not understanding something. Since I can't undervolt it very far (1.45V maybe) I'm thinking this can't be the real value.

There are some threads on overclock.net about this where people report the exact same behavior I'm seeing but no one can explain what's happening.

I will be installing AMD overdrive later since that reports the cpu-nb vid value in windows I think. Does any other program? HWMonitor does not.

Also, I may have discovered a way to defeat the throttling. I don't think the throttling is VRM-heat related in my case because the VRM heatsink is only warm to the touch and I'm throttling on a 6-core even at 3.8ghz for two cores loaded only!

The throttling always drops the multi down to 15x, so by using fsb overclocking with a 15x multiplier, 300x15 = 4.5ghz. This could completely prevent throttling below 4.5ghz. However, the drop to 15x is accompanied by a relative drop in max Vcore, too (~.8V). Right now I see no way to prevent this so I would need a bit of headroom in Vcore to make up for it.

As a compromise I was thinking to do 275x15 = 4125ghz, then pick a higher multiplier to get >4.5ghz. Then I have sort of a custom turbo that will only throttle to 4125ghz under heavier loads. The problem I am having is I seem to have hit a FSB wall at around 248mhz. I know the board can do more, and I see people getting 250mhz FSB with vishera in other places, maybe this chip is unlucky?

(This is a lot of effort to save a little money but there's some fun involved, too)

Last edited:

dafky2000

Mar 27, 2015
Hey Guys,

I have the same setup, the M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 and I am having troubles with the FX6300... I am not trying to overclock just simple use it haha. I have reseated it a couple times and it always freezes up partially through booting up.. I am running linux and it is right after grub when it freezes and before it starts reading from my hard drive... I have reverted back to my x4 635 for now but I am pulling my hair out wondering if I got a DOA unit - did you guys have to do anything at all in the bios? I am running 3029 right now, which according to AMD's site isn't supported. I have reset my CMOS and still the same issue... I put my old processor back in and everything works fine..

Thanks in advance!

djuuss

Apr 3, 2015
I know how to fix the throttle but you won't like it:

Open Overdrive, enable turbo boost, click apply. Now disable turbo boost and re-apply.

That's all.

This board *should* work with the FX cards , but it takes some manual fiddling:

Vdroop is severe, auto voltage levels are basically unusuable (who needs 1.7 volts on the cpuNB and 1.55 on the cpu?) So for the voltage you'll want to take time for trial and error : What voltage does it actually read during load, what voltage is configured in bios? These two can either be within 0.02v of eachother or differ more than 0.2v.
Wether or not turbo is enabled in bios also affects the actual voltage.

Ive ran it steadily with fx6300 @ 4.7Ghz but with excessive voltage,
I've also had it run 4.1 with boost up to 4.6
(3030 bios)

First the VRM's would get very hot, now for some reason they barely get warm at all.

Last edited:

DanielLong

Jan 5, 2017
Anyone could give me a BIOS preset for an FX-6300 (or any) Vishera CPU? I have CPU load throttling that can be fixed by enabling/disabling turbo in AMD Overdrive, but this is irritating to do at every startup.