fx 6300 on an asus m4a89gtd pr0

apostolosgt

Jul 9, 2013
hi i recently bought that cpu for my motherboard.would it work?
i know that the cpu doesnt refer to asus support list but i read that some people in here made it work.please inform me what to do in order to make it happen.
i allready flashed to latest bios.thank you very much

Mar 6, 2012
Supposedly yes:
m4a89_FX.png

Kalessian

Aug 18, 2004
That pic shows the TD pro not the GTD pro. Regardless, a user here (KingFatty[sp?]) has a 6300 on a GTD pro/usb3 and he has it overclocked very nicely, like 4.8ghz or something.

Yes, it will work. There may be problems with power saving features or turbo but it's not a deal breaker.

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
Yes, running on this computer I'm now typing on.

What is the version number of the beta bios you now have installed?

apostolosgt

Jul 9, 2013
i got the 2029 most recent bios.do i need to flash to 3030 beta?also 890fx and 890gx dont have huge differences except video card support.pci lanes.i see above that cpuz recognies the cpu as zambesi is that normal?

Last edited:

schmuckley

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2011
It should work;That board and the CH4 should support FX chips.
They advertised them that way at least :)

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
Actually this is the board I have.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4A89TD_PROUSB3/

And the 8320 works fine with the newest beta bios. Granted I haven't overclocked it yet. I do know this chip is capable of 4.6Ghz, so let's hope this board will take it there... I am getting my case for it today and will have some time this weekend to see.

Sazuzaki

Jul 11, 2013
does it have any updates for its BIOS as well? ask that guy that uses that board, what revision is his board and what BIOS so that you can replicate his result in terms of making it work.

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
Earlier you said you were using version 2029, are you still running that version beta BIOS?

When you say AMD overdrive, are you referring to some software, a setting in the BIOS, or the normal operation within windows or something?

apostolosgt

Jul 9, 2013
ok people my results are: everything works .amd turbo core ,bios settings evrything looks like am3+ board.i got the latest bios not beta.amd overdrive software worked after a new install.even the auto overclock option from bios works.im very pleased for an old motherboard.also i managed to oc the cpu easy to 4.1 (from auto overclock bios) and auto turbo core to 4.8 .the voltage was set by default to 1,45 something.
the windows 8 enterprise cpu rate is at 7.5.
i dont see much benefit in windows 8 enviroment compared to athlon x4 except that the athlon was oced to 3.62
the temps 47 celsius for stock clocks with zalman performa and about 30 celsius room temp are normal?
THANK YOU KINGFATTY i got inspired from your experience.

Last edited:

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
Oh, hmm maybe I should try that too, what is the number of the BIOS you are running so I can try it out?

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
I might as well bring up my issue within this thread for anyone looking at this down the road. I currently have a M4A89TD PRO/USB3 motherboard. I was able to get my 8320 up to 4.5Ghz, but I am seeing one core drop to 2.9Ghz while running prime. All cores will read 4.5Ghz and then one random one will drop to 2.9Ghz and it will switch off between cores. I also noticed the HT link will not go any higher than 2200, even though I manually set it to 2600. The cpu maxes out @ 56c and I am using 1.46 volts, which is high for that clock. This chip can do 4.6 @ 1.472, but it won't do it in this board. I assume the motherboard is causing one core to throttle?

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
Maybe, would you be able to re-try the experiment, except have a fan blowing on the motherboard's passive heatsinks (even a house fan, something to cool them)?

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
Do you think I would need to do that with this setup? I have two 120MM fans installed on the top and two in P/P for the H60. I would think that would be enough airflow to keep motherboard vrms cool?

4ddc8dfe-1793-4606-b7c7-88201a27b969_zps21d55e22.jpg

apostolosgt

Jul 9, 2013
i used bios oc utility and got it to 4422 and turbo at 4771 with air cool.temps are steady at 47 celsius and max core at 26.is taht good?

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
i used bios oc utility and got it to 4422 and turbo at 4771 with air cool.temps are steady at 47 celsius and max core at 26.is taht good?

Looks pretty good to me!

On another note, it turns out this motherboard will throttle with any core clock over 3.5Ghz. I can't even run turbo or the CPU will throttle. I am seeing one random core drop to 2.9Ghz and then it happens to the next core and so forth. I guess I will have to keep the 8320 at a stock 3.5Ghz in this board. I guess I should be happy that the board even supports it.

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
If you are having throttling, that usually means the motherboard VRMs are getting too hot. You might want to try this if you have one or two spare 80mm fans laying around. I mounted these just using zip ties, they fit nicely between the rear fan and the cpu so that I could put them directly against the motherboard heatsink for support. See more info here:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2310468

IMAG2117.jpg

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
If you are having throttling, that usually means the motherboard VRMs are getting too hot. You might want to try this if you have one or two spare 80mm fans laying around. I mounted these just using zip ties, they fit nicely between the rear fan and the cpu so that I could put them directly against the motherboard heatsink for support. See more info here:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2310468

IMAG2117.jpg

Great thread and thanks for the info. Looks like it's time to rig up some fans and see what I can do. I will update this post on my findings. I may see if I have any left over Fujipoly pads too.

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
Ok great. Something I would also be very interested in: is it worthwhile to re-apply new thermal compound and/or re-seat the motherboard heatsinks? I think the fans are more than enough, but I wonder if more cooling is possible by pulling off the mobo heatsinks and re-applying new thermal paste. For all I know they are just using thermal tape instead of paste, so it's not worth touching it, but I have no idea. If they are using paste instead of tape, maybe it's worth seeing if a fresh paste could help even more. I never took off my heatsinks, just applied the fans.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
Ok great. Something I would also be very interested in: is it worthwhile to re-apply new thermal compound and/or re-seat the motherboard heatsinks? I think the fans are more than enough, but I wonder if more cooling is possible by pulling off the mobo heatsinks and re-applying new thermal paste. For all I know they are just using thermal tape instead of paste, so it's not worth touching it, but I have no idea. If they are using paste instead of tape, maybe it's worth seeing if a fresh paste could help even more. I never took off my heatsinks, just applied the fans.

I am pretty sure there is no thermal paste under the mosfet heatsinks. They should use basic thermal pads to help with the heat transfer. Fujipoly pads like this one have probably five times the W/mk rating vs. the stock pad that comes with the motherboard. I would need to remove the stock heatsinks to find out the thickness. Most likely .5mm or 1.0 mm thick. I may go this route if If a fan doesn't help.

I have one of these left over from an old build, I may try to see if I can attach it somehow. (JB weld anyone :D) Not sure if it would be effective though?

IN0183112809.jpg

Mar 6, 2012
I upgraded to an 8320 on this board and I also have throtteling at 4ghz and above. It only seems to happen when all threads are used, so I keep it at 4.6ghz now since I primarily use the pc for gaming. I tried aiming a table fan at full on the vrms but it didn't seem to make any difference.

Did you lose the throtteling with your setup kingfatty?