Futuremark: Mantle and DirectX 12 said to be similar in performance

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zlatan

Mar 15, 2011
Mantle: Support for multi-vendor and launch within the year. A little less than 3 years dev time total.

DX12: Support for multi-vendor and launch by holiday 2015. Supposedly around 5 years of dev time.
I don't think this comparison is accurate. Probably the Mantle name wasn't exist in 2009, but that was the first time when AMD asked the devs about a specific low-level API.
For DX12 the actual development started in 2011. And that's what I heard about Mantle also.

zlatan

Mar 15, 2011
As for multi-vendor support, what chance does that have if it can't even run properly on AMD's own hardware? Has the 285's Mantle performance in Thief and BF4 been patched yet? Or do we just pretend this serious design flaw doesn't exit?

Well this is a natural problem with the low-level APIs. The driver will be just a complier. So everything that is in the driver in the actual model, will be in the program with the new APIs. In this case the devs have to target all microarch versions with specific optimization. This will be an "issue" with DX12 also.

nenforcer

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2008
Microsoft uses DirectX as a huge marketing push to get people to upgrade at least one OS version forward.

There are many people who would still be using Windows XP if it wasn't for DirectX 10 and 11 support missing.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Windows 10 release in April / May with full DirectX 12 support but don't expect any DX12 games until fall / christmas when there is an actual user base to sell to.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Will it be harder to program for dx12 than for consoles?

Just as hard more or less.

DX12, Mantle, consoles, all the same boat.

Hence why DX11.3 will be the most used outside the big titles. And exactly why we got both DX11.3 and DX12 with the same features.