Future proof

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
They are correct. Your CPU will be holding you back for high-frame rate gaming. If you turn down settings in order to get more FPS to use the 144hz cap you actually increase CPU load and become CPU bound, even if its fine for up to 60 fps. Even the fastest CPUs there are max overclocked can still bottleneck when you're getting up to over 100 fps.

So the general idea is that if I want to play with vsync off on 60hz I should still limit the frame rate somehwere >60 in order not to lose cpu performance and risk lower perofrmance?

Golden Member
Jun 10, 2007
So the general idea is that if I want to play with vsync off on 60hz I should still limit the frame rate somehwere >60 in order not to lose cpu performance and risk lower perofrmance?

Technically Monitors refresh by constant scan. This means that you will gain kinematic feedback basically instantly (+ every layer of latency between the card and the monitor) in terms of monitor latency.

This is why you can see/feel increased response rate even when on a 60 fps screen and you are running at above 60 fps.