FurMark test goes well but can't play games

freinando

Feb 21, 2012
Hi guys I have this newly build desktop. i5 2500k 4.5Ghz 10hr Prime 95 stable and a PNY GTX 560. Windows 7 is OEM.
Everything is fine except running WEI when it comes to video decoding and all video related stuff computer whether crashes or WEI ends with errors. Also trying to play games it wont let me.
I decided to run a FurMark test and at 99% load temps were 70C so no overheating at all. So I guess it is saying the video card is fine and also the PSU is good. Where is the issue then? I remember after I installed EVGA precision software a Directx related installation was taking too long and I forced the process to stop.So I dont know if this can be a software issue and if a directx malfunction can make this instability. BTW Im using 2x4gb 1600 ram. Any help would be appreciated thanks

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
So wait, the first thing you did was overclock everything to the max, and you did this before making sure that your system even worked on everyday tasks?

Wow.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Here:

Reset everything back to stock. Reinstall Windows, formatting the drive. Reload drivers. (No overclocking software nonsense). Run games.

freinando

Feb 21, 2012
Video card is not overclocked, Ram is 1600MHz by default. Just OCed the CPU, don't think it will affect graphics processing, PC only crashes with WEI in the video phase and starting any game so I think it could be some mess with directx windows files due to the reason I explained before.

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
OP what error do u get when u start any game?Also check the video tab by typing "dxdiag" from start->run.The event log is also a good source of information.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
The event log is also a good source of information.

If OP doesn't know enough to drop to stock clocks or how to reinstall windows, I don't think something like this:

EventType mptelemetry, P1 0x80070003, P2 moac, P3 cachereset, P4 4.0.1526.0, P5 unspecified, P6 unspecified, P7 unspecified, P8 NIL, P9 NIL, P10 NIL.
...is going to help him.

Jacky60

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2010
If OP doesn't know enough to drop to stock clocks or how to reinstall windows, I don't think something like this:

...is going to help him.

Lol, its important that he goes back to stock/windows reinstall, tests his games and moves from there. However I also wonder if his graphics card is properly seated in the correct PCie slot? BUT the system needs to be able to run a game before he starts to soup it up/overclock it.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
People need to remember one thing.

Furmark does one thing and one thing only. It makes your GPU as hot as it is ever possibly going to get. It isn't a stability test, it isn't really even suitable as a benchmark of any kind (though it does claim to be). What it will do though, is make your card as hot as possible, and if you are comfortable with the temps in furmark, you need never think about cooling again unless something changes.

freinando

Feb 21, 2012
I built computers for sale in my area. I know how to put a videocard in a pcie slot. I just dont wanna go through the whole windows installation again cuz I dont have the computer anymore, its sold. But the guy is having these issues which I didnt have when I had it about a week ago, and the WEI ran well back then, I didnt test any game tho. But I recall stopping sort of a directx update from 2004 to 2012 after I installed EVGA precision (which BTW I only use cuz I like the temperature/fan speed curve setting) and it entered in a loop and I forced it to stop. I will check later with the guy about the directx diag tool and will give u updates. Meanwhile I need to hear from u. Thx

freinando

Feb 21, 2012
People need to remember one thing.

Furmark does one thing and one thing only. It makes your GPU as hot as it is ever possibly going to get. It isn't a stability test, it isn't really even suitable as a benchmark of any kind (though it does claim to be). What it will do though, is make your card as hot as possible, and if you are comfortable with the temps in furmark, you need never think about cooling again unless something changes.

As Furmark passes, the PSU its not the issue nor the videocard as it is pushed to 99% rendering and drains maximum power. Don't know why you say stability is not tested. BTW I reinstalled nvidia drivers and problem persists.

freinando

Feb 21, 2012
OP what error do u get when u start any game?Also check the video tab by typing "dxdiag" from start->run.The event log is also a good source of information.

Just a black screen, forcing a manual restart.When on WEI is crashes and restarts itself, once went all the way to the end and said couldnt obtain scores.

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
Sounds like a PSU current drop when both CPU/VC are active.

A 4.4ghz 2500k demands a lot of wattage. I bet if you look on the side of that PSU the 12v line is 30a or less.

freinando

Feb 21, 2012
Sounds like a PSU current drop when both CPU/VC are active.

A 4.4ghz 2500k demands a lot of wattage. I bet if you look on the side of that PSU the 12v line is 30a or less.

Prime95 and Furmark tests at the same time just to make sure. I'll post the results. I know this PSU has the minimum required I think its 24a in the 12v rails, but it has been the same PSU I ve used over and over in these builds.

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
While you're at it post the rest of your equipment.

Drives, fans, MB.

Edit: Just a thought. Did you get the latest video drivers from Intel? Maybe quick sync is an issue?

Last edited:

freinando

Feb 21, 2012
Its an Asus z68 lx, Barracuda 7200.11 1TB, 4 case fans 3 of them LED, 1.65v 1600 mhz 2x4gb, and your average DVD burner. Will do tests later have to contact the guy who has the rig.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
I do not think that "reinstall windows and format" is a reasonable advice here.

He already run prime, FM etc.

It's either a software, driver, chipset driver issue or maybe something he oversaw.

My advice: Get OCCT (google), let run for 1hr at various settings like small (CPU), large..you can also give the OCCT graphics test a shot.

This would already find 85% of all potential hardware/OC issues....but what you should ALSO do would be running memtest from within windows.

If this all checks out then i would say it's a driver issue, check chipset drivers, DirectX updates etc..etc.. and if all THIS fails then re-install windows.

>>
Also trying to play games it wont let me.
>>

Doesn't really help. WHAT exactly happens?

Last edited:

Ghiedo27

Mar 9, 2011
I'd try down clocking the video card (specifically the ram). And yes, you want to bring the CPU back to stock until things are working. If down clocking the ram "fixes" it you still need to establish if the card itself is bad or if you're straining the 12v rail(s) too much and the video card is just the least tolerant of the voltage drops.

I'm guessing that the CPU is over-volted for the freq (as compared to what it would need with a clean voltage source). It may well be able to handle spiky voltage in the short term, but you don't want to leave it like that.

I would take a close look at monitoring the voltage and seriously consider a new power supply if it isn't stable while transitioning up or down in loads.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I do not think that "reinstall windows and format" is a reasonable advice here.

He did cancel a DX install that hadn't completed. At the very minimum he should have rolled back to before that event. *especially* if it was not his personal system.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
Let's look at hardware. Just because a CPU runs Prime 95 for 10 hrs w/o errors does not mean it's stable. I now prefer IntelBurn test 2.5 or later. I've had machines pass Prime 95 and fail Intelburn test. Second, I hope you have an aftermarket CPU cooler at that OC speed. The 2500k is a great OCer but 4.5Ghz without some tweaking is near the max even with aftermarket coolers. For instance, did you disable the integrated GPU? I do since I have a discrete card. It slightly lessens the internal CPU heat generation and power draw. Second, have you calculated the power draw with that video Card and an OC's cpu?

Personally, I have both of my 2500ks O C'd as follows 103 x 44 for an effective 4532. The ram can take the sight increase in the base clock and you drop the multiplier from 45 to 44. They have been subjected to 24 hrs of Prime, IntelBurn test loop after loop and a few other diagnostic tests (AIDA64) and are rock solid. In any event, I had my machines clocked higher but had to increase voltage etc. and it just wasn't worth the stability risk. I bet if you drop the multiplier to 44 you will be fine (assuming an aftermarket cpu cooler) If using the stock Intel cooler, 4.5 is an accident waiting to happen. And btw, I have an Antec Green 750 watt in one rig and an Antec Truepower II 750 watt in the other. A reputable 550-600 watt PSU should be OK. A cheap one? HMMMMM?

Last edited:

freinando

Feb 21, 2012
The rig does have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 which does the job. 100x45 the multiplier, I dont like to up the MoBo bclk cuz it sometimes conflicts with the graphics card creating instability. About the integrated GPU Ill take a look at it I remember having it messing with the card in a gigabyte z68 board, will check the setting in the Bios but any shoot how should it be set in the Asus board is appreciated. Temps are not an issue, here. Like I said will test both Cpu and Gpu at the same time to check the PSU current. Thank u All keep it coming :)

Last edited:

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
nvidia cards throttle back when you run Furmark, making it not a good test of stability for your video card.

When you run a game it will put a heavier load on the card and could be bringing out issues with it.

Maybe, just a guess.