Furmark, Passmark?

Mxster

Mar 25, 2012
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forums and this is my first post in Video cards. I had a question for the more seasoned players out there. Is there really a big difference between Furmark and Passmark? Furmark is freeware, but Passmark can sell for as much as $100 for the professional version.

The reason I am asking this question is because I bought a used 8400 GS off Craigslist. I was def a noob and not knowing a lot about graphics cards. This particular card was passive cooled (haven't had great experiences with 2 of these types so far). It worked fine for about an hour's use, then it would overheat and hard shutdown XP. I removed the heatsink and applied a fresh layer of thermal paste. This seemed to help, but now I'd like your advice on software to stress test graphics cards/video adapters.

Thanks.

bigsnyder

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2004
I personally am not a big fan of paying for benchmark software. I did pay $10 one time for 3DMark Vantage, but that is about it. I do know furmark is widely used so getting comparison data should not be difficult.

Mxster

Mar 25, 2012
I personally am not a big fan of paying for benchmark software. I did pay $10 one time for 3DMark Vantage, but that is about it. I do know furmark is widely used so getting comparison data should not be difficult.

Ok. That's cool. Thx.

hyrule4927

Feb 9, 2012
Unless I'm misunderstanding the question, Furmark is just a video card benchmark and stress test, while Passmark is a full system benchmark without much of a focus on gaming.

Also, I believe you can try out Passmark for free for a month. And if you want a more comprehensive gaming benchmark than Furmark or Passmark, all the renditions of 3D Mark have a free version.

bigsnyder

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2004
Also, I believe you can try out Passmark for free for a month. And if you want a more comprehensive gaming benchmark than Furmark or Passmark, all the renditions of 3D Mark have a free version.

True about 3DMark, but since futuremark crippled the free versions starting with Vantage, they are very limited with the variety of tests you can run.

hyrule4927

Feb 9, 2012
I'd say Furmark is used as a stress test more than a benchmark. Kind of like Prime95 for GPU's, it's a good way to test if your cooling and overclock can cope with extreme (unrealistic, to be honest) loads. But, any such test is dangerous if your system can't handle it.