Funny Iraqi Myths About Our Soldiers

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Sarcasticor
Originally posted by: etech
I think some of the people defending these "jokes" would also be the type to enjoy racist jokes. The have the same intent, to harm and distort the truth about a body of people. In this case it is our soliders in Iraq.

So what do you say moonie, you thought they were funny. Do you also stand around the water cooler at the post office and tell jokes about watermelons and fried chicken? Got any Polock jokes for us? How about an American solider in Iraq using his X-Ray vision to see a Muslims women's underware? Wow, that would be hilarous to you wouldn't it.

If anything, these statements are insulting to the people who said them. To blow this out of proportion as you have done and make statements about how it is "unpatriotic" to think they are funny says a lot about you.

You never miss a chance to attack your percieved enemy, even if it means you are just chasing ghosts.

Now chill out, have a beer and relax, the sky isn't falling because ignorant people believe in myths.

Just out of curiosity, who is it that you think i am?

Please show me and the entire board where I used the phrase about how it is "unpatriotict".

When you have done that, we may continue this discussion.

For the record, I dislike it when people lie about what I have posted.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
"With those glasses, he can definitely see through women's clothes," said the engineering student, Samer Hamid. "It makes me angry. We are afraid to take our families out on the street."

You know.. I know it is a joke but, wouldn't it be a good tool for the Army to have... to see if someone is wrapped up in bombs and the like. I heard something about this kind of device at airports.. maybe it was posted here.. From humor sometimes comes interesting realities..

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
WinstonSmith in part said:

"Moonbeam... I like Moonbeam, quite a lot. He says quite a bit, although the testosterone level often gets too high to see his point. Often posters make his point for him, which I always find amusing. He has quite the style to get responses, and get people thinking. Sometimes he gets people pissed off, and at least if he can't get people to think, he can get them to feel."

Ain't that the truth..:)

The greatest feat, IMO, is the ability to post as Moonbeam does and always present the empty sack for the folks to swat. I know when I post it is me and I can't seem to be both real and illusion at the same time.. it amazes me to no end. Folks accuse me of being a Moonbeam wanna be... to even approach that kind of capability in intellect and introspective discourse is a quest to be proud of.
I changed my nick name to show my respect for such an elite persona. I know the jabs will never end and this is good in a way... I find it interesting and informative the way the posting unfolds. Never obliquely always falling directly into their own dug hole... and they never know it. Amazing.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Sarcasticor
I think some of the people defending these "jokes" would also be the type to enjoy racist jokes. The have the same intent, to harm and distort the truth about a body of people. In this case it is our soldiers in Iraq.

So what do you say moonie, you thought they were funny. Do you also stand around the water cooler at the post office and tell jokes about watermelons and fried chicken? Got any Polock jokes for us? How about an American solider in Iraq using his X-Ray vision to see a Muslims women's underware? Wow, that would be hilarous to you wouldn't it.

If anything, these statements are insulting to the people who said them. To blow this out of proportion as you have done and make statements about how it is "unpatriotic" to think they are funny says a lot about you.

You never miss a chance to attack your percieved enemy, even if it means you are just chasing ghosts.

Now chill out, have a beer and relax, the sky isn't falling because ignorant people believe in myths.

Just out of curiosity, who is it that you think i am?

Please show me and the entire board where I used the phrase about how it is "unpatriotict".

When you have done that, we may continue this discussion.

For the record, I dislike it when people lie about what I have posted.

So far you have basically said this:

etech: MonstaThrilla

You find that funny? The people that are spreading those "myths" are spreading lies and misinformation to try and discredit the soliders. I would say that they are trying to spread hate amoung the people of Iraq against the US and its government and what they are trying to accomplish there.

They could take lessons from some of the posters on this board.

etech: Fvck you, don't tell me to "chill out" you ignorant little ass. Here you are spreading the lies of the enemy and you think they are 'funny'. There is a reason that certain Iraq's are spreading those lies and there is nothing funny about it.

etech: You have shown your total lack of concern and respect for our troops by spreading lies about them in the past.

etech: Our troops are nothing? Spreading lies about them is nothing?

I see you have been taking lessons from moonie.

etech: Sticks and stones and deliberate lies about our soliders can get them killed. Raising the level of animosity in a country that like Iraq is not funny. That is a very flippant attitude you have towards them.

etech: I think some of the people defending these "jokes" would also be the type to enjoy racist jokes. The have the same intent, to harm and distort the truth about a body of people. In this case it is our soliders in Iraq.
---------------------------
Now Sarcasticor put quotes around patriotic, probably to indicate he was trying to find a catch all term to describe your diatribe. Would you have preferred unpatriotic? Exactly what motive propels you to defend the troops, to point out the hate behind these 'jokes' and to generally carry on as if you had some tremendous burden to focus on one narrow range of reactions these urban legends can evoke. If not patriotism, what, fanatic. myopia sufferer, party pooper, delusional, hot button waiting to explode? If it isn't some notion of patriotism, what are you on about? If you are not the flag waving, Bush supporting, loony tune, than who? You sort of have a rep. :D

So take an opportunity to explain. If you have a case, and I know you do, make it logically. Spare us all the theatrics and make your case. You could have calmly and inoffensively said something to the effect that while the capacity of those who know nothing to invent an entire universe about their enemy is on the one hand fantastically humerus when viewed in and of itself, there are aspects of it that are dangerous to our troops. Nobody here, I think, is so blind they can't see that. (Within limits, of course. We see it abstractly when others are involved, but never when we are engaged in it too. The garbage you make up about me is exactly as if I had X-ray glasses too. Hehe, maybe I do.)

But what you do instead is poop on the floor. You raise a shrill warning that could be a sound point and then you go nuts attacking people who still want to enjoy the joke. I know how you are. I'm the same way too. I hope, however, that the reaction I cause is not unexpected and something I whine about. When you poop on the floor, people are going to raise hell about the smell. And if you continue to take yourself seriously, like it's you that's been wronged, well you'll just cause people more fits. Perhaps you have a secret need to troll. Something in your personality wants to be put up to the wall and summarily executed. I'm trying to peek here into myself. :D You do that too, right? Don't put your hand in a scorpion's nest if you can't stand a sting.

The big thing about needing to be right is the fear of being wrong. I know you think it's psychobabble and all that rot, but nobody knows everything. It would be sort of sad, would it not, to turn your back on some important truth. What if there were a higher order of caring, a better way to love than you currently have the capacity to grasp, that you are trying to avoid. It would be a shame if you won, because in winning you would lose.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Jesus Christ etech take a chill pill. I don't think the OP was trying to find funny what you are accusing him of. I also think you are taking people's response a little TOO personal. Maybe some time away would do you good? This isn't OT it is P&N.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
etech has an inherent dislike for anything even remotely humorous, and anything sarcastic will fly right over his head because he takes everything as literal as possible. As much as things change..they stay the same...