FUNNY!!!: Buy one KIA, get a 2nd FREE

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BadThad

Lifer
Feb 22, 2000
Why does everyone make a big deal over the 10 year warranty? That ONLY COVERS POWERTRAIN. You guys act like it's bumper to bumper, go read the fine print of that warranty. In most cases, it's completely worthless because the powertrain lasts the longest on most cars anyway. All it covers is the engine, transmission and rear-end, whoopie. How many of those things have you ever replaced in your lifetime, assuming you didn't drive like a moron?

When that bumper to bumper warranty expires, you'll be quite sad you own one of these pieces of dung. It's all the other "little" stuff that breaks on cars that kills your wallet.

Darknight

Dec 4, 1999
Originally posted by: BadThad
Why does everyone make a big deal over the 10 year warranty? That ONLY COVERS POWERTRAIN. You guys act like it's bumper to bumper, go read the fine print of that warranty. In most cases, it's completely worthless because the powertrain lasts the longest on most cars anyway. All it covers is the engine, transmission and rear-end, whoopie. How many of those things have you ever replaced in your lifetime, assuming you didn't drive like a moron?

When that bumper to bumper warranty expires, you'll be quite sad you own one of these pieces of dung. It's all the other "little" stuff that breaks on cars that kills your wallet.

True, the 10 year is a limited powertrain, but according to the kia website, the standard warranty is 5 year, 60,000 miles. Still much better than any other maker. Even the Lexus/Acura is just 4 years...

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001

Have you ever had to replace your engine or trans?

Lets say the Kia Van (off the top of my head):
Engine $4000-$8000 and that may not include labor
Trans automatic $2500-$5000 and that may not include labor.
Now your broke like most americans, living pay check to pay check, do you think you would be kicking yourself in the butt at 98,000 that you didnt take the KIA?

AND ALSO powertrain will cover sensors, drive axles, coverter, pretty much all of the most expensive parts and anything connected to the engine or trans that would fail will still be covered. So what if you loose bumper to bumper and you have to start paying for headlights, marker lights, your radio quits, seat track comes off, all all the little stuff is not going to stop you from getting to work. Besides that little stuff can be had at any junk yard cheap or free depending on how big of pockets are in the paints your wearing.

You get a 5 year 60K bumper to bumper and a 10 year 100K on the power train. Its called added insurance and there IF something should happen. Offered to you is a Chevy with the standard 3 year 36k with no powertrain extended or the KIA with the 5 year 60k and a powertrain 10 year 100K and they both had the same features, reliability, price, resale value, and brand didnt matter because its what you have to spend on a car that does which would you take?

girishkr

Jun 19, 2004
I have a minivan Kia sedona and have been very happy with it. So far no problems didn't have to go into the shop even once. ofcourse it is a gas guzzler but I think I have saved atleast 6-8K upfront when compare to any other minivan like honda or toyota. The interest on 6-8K covers most of my extra fuel expense. I think it is a good value for the money I have paid.

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
BadThad=Lexus dealer ????

Tell ya what ... why don't you tell us what YOU drive, since you offer so much incite into why every Kia buyer has made such a critical buying blunder. You seem hung up on resale value like thats the kiss of death. We purchased our van in February, and I'm fairly certain I don't give a damn about resale value when I plan on keeping it another 7+ years. As of two years ago, I drove an '83 RX7 and an '82 Toyota 4x4. You really think I care about their resale value ??? I now drive a '97 Passat and its paid off, unlike any '97 Lexus model I could have bought.

Drop the resale argument, you don't sell a minivan that soon after you bought it. I'm speaking from experience ..how 'bout you ?

RBC

Jul 27, 2001
I've had a Kia Optima, (loaded for $18k) for over two years (~30,000 miles now). Great car for the money and since I drive my vehicles until the wheels fall off (in the case of an old Renault ~20 years ago, they actually did) this was the perfect commuter car. MUCH more reliable than our '00 Dodge Caravan Sport.

Plus every time I have had it serviced, I get a customer satisfaction survey and telephone call just to make sure I happy with the work they did. BTW, Kias and Hyundai's have come out of the same Hyundai plant in Korea since the '02 model year.

imported_Grimmy

Dec 28, 2001
Er
uhm
the engine and transmission, when you boil it down. are all that IS important on a car, it's funny but if either of those don't work the car DON'T GO.

Power windows out? Oh well, guess I can't hit the drive thru, at least I can still DRIVE THE CAR.

Besides the basic warranty is still QUITE good, a BUTTLOAD better than the warranty on the last car I bought (Ford).

As for resell value looking at the Lexus LX 470 vs the Kia Sedona minivan - a 2003 Sedona carries a value of roughly $16K and the LX 470 $44K new price - $22K and $65K the Lexus LOST $21K in value, enough money to BUY THE NEW SEDONA the Sedona lost about 1/3 to 1/4 of it's value around $6K. You buy a $65K car and lost nearly enough value to outright PAY FOR the NEW $22K car? Hey man whatever floats your boat, personally I don't think a car is WORTH much more than about $20-25K to me, I just don't feel like a car is worth more than that and I'm not paying more than that for one. It's not a matter of "affording" a car, I can march into the BMW dealership today and walk out with whatever I wanted but I don't put that much value on a car. I'll drive my $21K Sedona (bought one of the last 03's on the lot last Xmas for my wife) and I'll take that other $44K I saved not buying the expensive car and do something worthwhile with it, like add-on to my house, buy some land, a new boat, etc.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
This would be a good deal for parents with son or daughter about to drive. Parents drive the minivan. Kid drives the Rio.

Kia has come long ways. Sure it's still no Honda or Toyota but with the warranty, I would have zero problem buying one.

This is coming from BMW, Porsche, Toyota owner.

PandaBear

Golden Member
Aug 23, 2000
God I hope Kia really did improve their quality. When I rented one in Florida last springbreak the following was broken:

1. Latch to open the trunk
2. Latch to fold up.down the seat
3. The passanger side window knob

I know it drives ok and stuff but then again these thing should not break with only 40k on the meter. On the other hand the best rental car I ever got was a Hyndai 350G, great price and drive very well. So I guess it is really a luck factor.

chiragp

Jul 10, 2004
Originally posted by: funboy42

Now your broke like most americans, living pay check to pay check, do you think you would be kicking yourself in the butt at 98,000 that you didnt take the KIA?

AND ALSO powertrain will cover sensors, drive axles, coverter, pretty much all of the most expensive parts and anything connected to the engine or trans that would fail will still be covered. So what if you loose bumper to bumper and you have to start paying for headlights, marker lights, your radio quits, seat track comes off, all all the little stuff is not going to stop you from getting to work. Besides that little stuff can be had at any junk yard cheap or free depending on how big of pockets are in the paints your wearing.

You get a 5 year 60K bumper to bumper and a 10 year 100K on the power train. Its called added insurance and there IF something should happen. Offered to you is a Chevy with the standard 3 year 36k with no powertrain extended or the KIA with the 5 year 60k and a powertrain 10 year 100K and they both had the same features, reliability, price, resale value, and brand didnt matter because its what you have to spend on a car that does which would you take?

Very true !

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Originally posted by: kabob983
I just heard this on the radio a few minutes ago. The Birmingham, Alabama area KIA dealer (Sarah KIA or something like that) is having Buy one KIA, get a 2nd Free!!

Even with that deal, I doubt they'll sell many, but I guess if you want 2 crappy cars, then this is your chance to get them cheap!!

You'll probably need the other one... for spare parts. :p

PoPPeR

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2002
wow are people honestly comparing Kia's to Lexus's in this thread? Why not toss in a K6-2 vs a P4 extreme while you're at it.

pkypkypky

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2001
why the heck is anyone writing about Lexus in this thread? Let's compare Kias to a Phantom while we're at it. The resale value is a great point, but if you didn't know that already then you're not ready to buy a car.

Sedona seemed okay. I researched it for someone else and read good reviews. Obviously a lot of ppl don't trade-in their cars every two yrs for a new one, so they want a good price on a family car. One thing I do remember is that for heavy drivers, the sedona HAD poor mileage. Not sure about now though.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by: PandaBear
God I hope Kia really did improve their quality. When I rented one in Florida last springbreak the following was broken:

1. Latch to open the trunk
2. Latch to fold up.down the seat
3. The passanger side window knob

I know it drives ok and stuff but then again these thing should not break with only 40k on the meter. On the other hand the best rental car I ever got was a Hyndai 350G, great price and drive very well. So I guess it is really a luck factor.

UM yor answer is it is a rental car. Do youthink that most people who rent a car and going to treat it with thte same respect as if it was thier own? Nope hence why when you rent a car no matter who the maker it may have low miles but lots-o-crap is broken.
How do I know this? My dad used to rent cars at our dealership and when ever I rented a car, well, you just got to see what the sucker can do. Why else woudl you of opted for the added insurance :)

RBC

Jul 27, 2001
Why doesn't someone make sensible comparisons:

Sedona vs Caravan (not T&C, different target customer)

Sedona vs Windstar

Optima vs Malibu

Notice, I didn't put in Honda or Toyota as both are better but more expensive.

Cleaner

Feb 11, 2002

I agree with what you're saying but your numbers are off. My friend just had his engine replaced in his Ford Explorer = $3000. I've had multiple automatic and manual transmissions replaced. Most I've ever paid = $1,800 oh and that included the torque converter. I've got an '87 TransAM with 353,000 miles, and a '93 Dodge Caravan with 200,000 miles. Other than the last transmission I put in the Caravan about 5 years ago it runs great. I haven't made a car payment in 6 or 7 years. Insurance and gas is it. Flame on.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Cleaner

I agree with what you're saying but your numbers are off. My friend just had his engine replaced in his Ford Explorer = $3000. I've had multiple automatic and manual transmissions replaced. Most I've ever paid = $1,800 oh and that included the torque converter. I've got an '87 TransAM with 353,000 miles, and a '93 Dodge Caravan with 200,000 miles. Other than the last transmission I put in the Caravan about 5 years ago it runs great. I haven't made a car payment in 6 or 7 years. Insurance and gas is it. Flame on.

You took me to literal. I said it was off the top of my head. It was mainly a point and still with your answer most americans dont have $3000 they can shell out. But were talking Ford America VS Kia Korea. There is going to be a diff in price ebcause the engine will most likely have to be imported in so it will be more expensive. When I worked for ford I sold an engine job on a Ford Windstar and it cost the guy $5300 with labor, Crate engine, and misc other parts.
But my main point was still most Americans dont have alot of cash laying around and thats why alot of people buy cars because of a warranty not because it has to be a Ford, Chevy, Hyundai. The only ones who wouldnt give two poops is the rich, they have money to burn :p

Qwest

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
a nissan dealership in jersey is doing buy one sentra, get one free. i see the commercial all the time.

diggum

May 23, 2000
Nothing to do with the sale, but we bought a fully-loaded 2002 Kia Optima new a few years back. It has so far been awesome. This was their top-of-the-line model, with full leather package, sunroof/moonroof, 4-door, V-6. It is really very powerful, great ride, and I can't say enough good things about it. Hyundai (who makes the guts of the thing) has really turned their quality around in the past 6 or 7 years. My folks have bought lots of Hyundai's through the years, and I always hated them, but at least since 2000, they've got their act together and these cars are powerful, low-maintenance, high-quality automobiles.