FUNNY!!!: Buy one KIA, get a 2nd FREE

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

wetcat007

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2002
Originally posted by: Karsten
KIA always got decent reviews. You can't compare them with 25-30k cars, but that is not what you are looking for when you buy one of these! Sounds like a hot deal to me!

Just out of curiosity how do they compare with japanese competition? aka mazda, mitsubishi, toyota, honda etc...

jodhas

Aug 5, 2001
Originally posted by: PoPPeR
wow are people honestly comparing Kia's to Lexus's in this thread? Why not toss in a K6-2 vs a P4 extreme while you're at it.

Ignorance is Bliss...

Didn't your elementary teacher teach you how to make an apple to apple comparason?

gtd2000

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 1999
I'm not sure why so many people are often overly negative about the Korean cars - I do agree they are of a cheaper grade than the equivalent Japanese model and resale values are often the worst aspect of owning Korean cars. They are generally reliable - more so than a US domestic model I'd suggest.

Kia actually built the Ford Aspire/Festiva which were considered to be a good cheap, reliable run-arounds if I am not mistaken? These were based on two earlier Mazda 121 designs.

So KIA started with Mazda based cars and Hyundai started with Mitsubishi based cars. (Actually Hyundai started with the UK Ford Cortina but thats probably before Hyundai ever came to the USA....)

Thats not too bad a beginning really!

Nowadays Kia uses Hyundai technology which has improved drastically over the past 20+ years.

I still don't think they are up to scratch with the Japanese competition but they are closing the gap.

I could not recommend buying a new Korean car - simply due to the resale values which negate any postive effect of the original sticker price.
I would always suggest buying a used Japanese model of the same level.

It might be that a used Korean car bought privately could be a real bargain, though but I have seen some sorely abused examples in the past.
This is not the fault of the manufacturer - simply that the moronic owners did not take ANY care of the vehicle whatsoever. :|

Greg04

Golden Member
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: funboy42
When my settlement comes in I was going to buy a new van for my family. I have a friend that owns the van and it is very nice. Peppy v6 motor, and I am 6'4" 300+ lbs and I had plenty of leg and ass room. If I can get the van and the car for my wife for free and dump the 88 rusty cougar Im all over this when the time comes. Even if I have to drive out of state to the dealership to get it its worth getting the 8K car for free!
Road trip :)

I sincerely hope that it does come in. After being a personal injury lawyer --- ack! ----- I saw my share of people who waited 3+ years and then encountered the sinking reality that that monster settlement they thought was going to buy them the new house, car, mousepad, etc., turned out to be just - just - enough to cover the medical bills, medicare liens, and the *cough* hard working lawyer.