fun co-op games?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Looking for some new co-op games to play with a friend. Last game we played was Human: Fall Flat and we loved it.

We've played FPS games in the past, but my friend isn't into playing against other people online. He'd rather play against AI or against each other.

mrblotto

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2007
A buddy and I use to play Descent co-op all the time. Dang that was crazy fun!

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Are you looking for a particular genre of games?
Not specifically. Although RTS and rpg is excluded because my friend doesn't like those kinds of games. Sports and racing (unless maybe it's combat racing) are excluded as well.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
Not specifically. Although RTS and rpg is excluded because my friend doesn't like those kinds of games. Sports and racing (unless maybe it's combat racing) are excluded as well.

LOL. That doesn't leave many options.

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
So no rts, no rpg, no sports, no racing, no fps? That leaves pretty much nothing. Maybe something like Broforce? Can you give us some specific games that your friend does like and we could recommend something similar?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
So no rts, no rpg, no sports, no racing, no fps? That leaves pretty much nothing. Maybe something like Broforce? Can you give us some specific games that your friend does like and we could recommend something similar?
I didn't say no fps, I just said no fps against other players

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
I didn't say no fps, I just said no fps against other players
Ah, sorry. Left 4 Dead is pretty fun. Is Borderlands too much of an rpg? Could also try Alien Swarm: Reactive Drop on Steam, pretty sure it's free as well, There's some fun to be had with Ark on a custom server but that requires a monetary investment that is really too expensive and a large time sink. Terraria is fun. Dead Space 2 and 3 can be co-op, that was a decent experience. GTA V Online can be played in a locked lobby and the heist missions are pretty fun along withe general messing around. Are Path of Exile and Diablo 3 too rpg? Ghost Recon Wildlands was a fantastic co-op experience. The Division if found cheap enough is also a decent play through up to and shortly past the level cap (and can be played without ever interacting with anyone.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
If he's good with fantasy medieval (specifically Warhammer) setting, Vermintide 2 is being well-received, and Vermintide 1 can be had on sale right now for like $8 (it was pretty well reviewed too).

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007

Broforce is hilarious. My son and I laugh hysterically everytime we play.

Second vote for vermintide 2 Though you really need 4 players to make it work. Bots suck at the higher difficulty levels.

Nashemon

Jun 14, 2012
Couple of games my friends and I have enjoyed that haven't been mentioned yet.
Portal 2
Hammerwatch
Terraria
Minecraft
Borderlands 1 and 2
Sanctum 2 (not 1)

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Broforce. That will tide you over for a long time.
Helldivers is another good one but the harder maps are actually a lot easier if you play solo (unless your buddy is really good). Still, my girlfriend and I have sunk a solid 25 hours into Helldivers and maybe 60 into Broforce.

Just search the Co-op tags on Steam and it will give you a list of the most popular ones.

PClark99

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2000
Oldie but a goodie, Battlefield 1942 or Battlefield Vietnam. Co-op mode with bots is good fun.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Magicka 1&2, great games and the humor is awesome if you got some geekiness in you.
Payday is also fun but that requires 4 people.
Steam has an overhead tactical co-op shooter for free called Alien Swarm.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Nobody mentioned www.co-optimus.com??

That's typically my go-to for a complete-ish data base of coop games listed by online/couch and how many players. You can also sort by platform and rating...

Mercenary Kings, like Broforce, is pretty fun pixel shooter--albeit quite redundant but still enjoyable.

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
Games you can play as a group against AI or other; basically, none of my friends want to do competitive play.

Payday 2
Tom Clancy The Division
Tom Clancy Rainbow Six Siege
Rocket League
Overwatch
Diablo 3
Grid Autosport
Dirt 4
Destiny 2

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
If you're going to count MMOs then you might as well just count every multiplayer game in existence because you can technically work together on the vast majority of online games. So no, we aren't going to include MMOs into a co-op game list.