Full Test: 2003 Infiniti M45

Jun 18, 2000
Our test car even had an easy-to-operate intelligent cruise control system, which uses lasers to detect vehicles ahead, and then automatically paces the M45 behind traffic at a selected distance.
That's pretty cool.

I agree its pretty bland, but it's not a bad bland.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
I love it. When you see it in person, you can't help but think "Damn, what a badass car". It looks MUCH better in person, too ;)

prodigy

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I didn't like it at first, but after seeing a few on the road it's growing on me. In black it's so badass.

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
I've seen several, and I honestly think I would have never noticed them if I was not a car enthusiast.
It pretty much epitomizes bland Japanese design. It looks like a Buick next to the G35.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: bigsmooth
I've seen several, and I honestly think I would have never noticed them if I was not a car enthusiast.
It pretty much epitomizes bland Japanese design. It looks like a Buick next to the G35.
Funny thing is, so far the marketing for this car has been targeted at people who typically buy domestics. Isn't the slogan something like "A True American Muscle Car"??? I tell you what though...take out the maple wood, voice-command, laser-cruise and chrome, put in a detuned engine putting out 300-320hp, slap on a Nissan badge and call it the Maxima, cut $12k off the sticker, and hell I'd buy one!

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: gregshin
i actually like that car. It looks much better in person and in motion.

yeah, reminds me of a Marauder! :)

congrats on getting back to the forum gregshin :D

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
What do you guys find good-looking about this car? I guess it looks kind of "muscular" with the high beltline, big wheels and prominent grille... but overall, it's certainly not an exciting design. The proportions look a little odd to me - the rear overhang looks very long.

Overall, there's nothing particularly WRONG with it, but for me, it blends into the crowd a little TOO much.
Or is it that "sleeper" quality that you like? :confused:

psteng19

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2000
Originally posted by: bigsmooth
What do you guys find good-looking about this car? I guess it looks kind of "muscular" with the high beltline, big wheels and prominent grille... but overall, it's certainly not an exciting design. The proportions look a little odd to me - the rear overhang looks very long.

Overall, there's nothing particularly WRONG with it, but for me, it blends into the crowd a little TOO much.
Or is it that "sleeper" quality that you like? :confused:

The ugliest part of the car is the front... the grill and headlights.

There is some aftermarket overseas that tries to fix that, but I doubt any serious M45 owners will look into it.

1 <-- apparently this front spoiler is Nissan OEM factory option (JDM)
2 <-- Looks AWESOME here IMO :D
3 <-- both very clean and nice lookin

EDIT:
-added more pics and comments.
-pics taken from Freshalloy.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: uncJIGGA
The car that Maxima should have been...
But then the Max would cost $42k like this and then Infinity would wonder why it exists!

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
I prefer the clean American front bumper to the ricy J one. Are they available with a manual in Japan?

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Ameesh

the maxima is cool, that is fugly.
But why have two FWD, VQ-engined sedans? Why not let the Altima handle FWD V6, and make the Maxima RWD, V8?? When I say the M45 should have been a Maxima, I'm talking about the platform alone...not the exact styling etc. The M platform is quite a bit different than the flagship Q, n'est-ce pas?

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Ameesh

the maxima is cool, that is fugly.
But why have two FWD, VQ-engined sedans? Why not let the Altima handle FWD V6, and make the Maxima RWD, V8?? When I say the M45 should have been a Maxima, I'm talking about the platform alone...not the exact styling etc. The M platform is quite a bit different than the flagship Q, n'est-ce pas?
They probably didn't want to alienate existing Maxima owners, who are very loyal. Don't forget than many people still think that FWD is superior to RWD in adverse weather conditions.

Additionally, they are now producing the Maxima in the U.S., presumably to keep costs down, at the same factory that builds Altimas IIRC. They can do this because they use the same platform.
They probably would have had to keep importing Maximas if they had based it on the RWD Gloria platform.