Full out throttling has begun, Verizon throttling AWS

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Link to News Article

There is a lot of money invested in cloud computing so I would imagine Verizon is going to be going head to head with these companies who have money tied up in the cloud computing services. People are already having major issues streaming Netflix too it seems. Why don't these companies just fess up to this? Why continue to lie about it when you have been caught doing it?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Verizon denies using net neutrality victory to sabotage Netflix, Amazon

After a federal court said last month that the government couldn't prohibit Internet providers from slowing or blocking Web traffic, at least one ISP is being accused of taking advantage of the ruling.

On Wednesday, a Texas man named David Raphael wrote on his blog that Verizon was intentionally throttling Netflix subscribers and other Internet users who rely on Amazon's cloud computing service. Verizon quickly denied the complaint, saying it continues to treat all traffic equally.

Raphael, a software engineer for the cloud-based security firm iScan Online, said he was first alerted to the problem on Jan. 26 when the president of his company complained of "major slowdowns" while using iScan remotely. After determining that nothing was amiss with iScan's product, Raphael returned home to find that his own connection to Amazon Web Services — on which iScan runs — had been degraded.

Connections to AWS were limited to 40 kBps, Raphael said — about 240 times slower than the 75 Mbps fiber optic connection Raphael was paying for. Raphael discovered that even content hosted on AWS by others, including Netflix, was also slower.

"This scenario is impacting different AWS folks," he said in an interview.
Thinking the error could be part of a wider phenomenon, Raphael said he tried loading the same content as though he were in the office by "remoting" in. The office connection was normal, at 5,000 kBps. So the problem appeared limited to Raphael's home and that of iScan's president — both of which are on Verizon FiOS.

When Raphael contacted Verizon about the issue, a customer representative acknowledged that Verizon was "limiting bandwidth to cloud providers":

Screen-Shot-2014-02-05-at-11.41.51.jpg

It's worth treating the rep's statement with a great deal of skepticism; the chances that this one person is completely aware of everything the company is doing seems pretty remote. Still, this was after the representative asked Raphael to perform various diagnostic tests, including a speed test using Verizon's own software, which showed Raphael's service was otherwise running normally at 75 Mbps.

"We tested some Google downloads and tested downloading SketchUp [a form of 3D design software]," said Raphael. Everything seemed to perform smoothly; only AWS loaded slowly.

An AWS spokesperson did not immediately reply to a request for comment.
In a statement to the Washington Post, Verizon said it was investigating the report and that the customer rep was misinformed.

"We treat all traffic equally, and that has not changed," the statement read. "Many factors can affect the speed of a customer’s experience for a specific site, including that site’s servers, the way the traffic is routed over the Internet and other considerations. We are looking into this specific matter, but the company representative was mistaken. We’re going to redouble our representative education efforts on this topic."

Under the Federal Communications Commission's net neutrality rules, broadband companies were forbidden from slowing down or blocking connections to content. That prohibition was struck by the D.C. Circuit court last month, enabling companies to legally throttle service if they chose.

Verizon suggested in oral argument last fall that it was interested in different service models.

"I’m authorized to state from my client today that but for these rules we would be exploring those types of arrangements," said Verizon's lawyer, Helgi Walker.

The FCC has said it intends to seek other ways to help keep the Internet open.

Both the report and the denial leave us in a pretty murky situation. Since I'm a FiOS subscriber, you can be sure I'll be testing this myself from home tonight.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
In their defense Verizon says they aren't and the rep was misinformed. I find this incredibly plausible.

Of course lack of net neutrality would encourage this sort of behavior, absolutely, but it's not necessarily happening yet.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
We can't do anything about it, so why complain. Big business has the power. They are in charge. They own Congress and the President.

Maybe we need to be thankful that we even have internet.

:(

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
And did he try a different ISP to see if they were getting the same slow speeds?

Feb 4, 2009
Its a tough question however Verizon has the most bandwidth by far. I generally don't find it offensive for a provider to limit something that is eating up an enormous amount of bandwidth. However I do find it offensive when its used to promote their own option that usually sucks more and costs more too.

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
Net neutrality is dead. Bow to Comcast and Verizon, your overlords

In 2013, Verizon paid $1,531,212 in political contributions and paid $13,703,000 for lobbying.

Anyone think that did that so that they could provide you with more bandwidth?

Uno

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Net neutrality is dead. Bow to Comcast and Verizon, your overlords

In 2013, Verizon paid $1,531,212 in political contributions and paid $13,703,000 for lobbying.

Anyone think that did that so that they could provide you with more bandwidth?

Uno

I've said it many times, it's cheaper to lobby and limit or block your competition than it is to, well, actually 'compete' against them.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
not a surprise. though i did expect them to wait like a year and not after net neutrality was killed.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
I think it's extremely unlikely that an ISP is throttling the entire AWS cloud cluster. That's an incredible amount of websites - not just Netflix but also Dropbox, Pinterest, Spotify...

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006

The FCC has said it intends to seek other ways to help keep the Internet open.

Both the report and the denial leave us in a pretty murky situation. Since I'm a FiOS subscriber, you can be sure I'll be testing this myself from home tonight.

As always OG nice write up/presentation on a matter that affects us all but god damn all this shit is depressing. Seriously what can we do?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
We can't do anything about it, so why complain. Big business has the power. They are in charge. They own Congress and the President.

Maybe we need to be thankful that we even have internet.

:(

All I know is that my Netflix stalls a lot on ATT cable and it makes me, dare I say it, mad. I will pray to be more thankful.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
As always OG nice write up/presentation on a matter that affects us all but god damn all this shit is depressing. Seriously what can we do?

Maybe start a forum here or somewhere and call it something say Voice of the People, to identify major problems facing the world by consensus and rational dialog and having identified them and potential solutions start making noise about them. A boat can be sunk if enough people run to one side of it. You need numbers and focus, like a magnifying glass, I think. If you just bark here there may be no echo.

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012

In the not to distant future, I'm retiring. Suspect that I'll probably move.

Before I go anywhere, I'll be checking the availability of Google Fiber.

Uno

Last edited:

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
FCC needs to reclassify ISP's as common carriers and regulate them as such.

NaughtyGeek

Golden Member
May 3, 2005
Yep and see nothing about testing using a different ISP

"Thinking the error could be part of a wider phenomenon, Raphael said he tried loading the same content as though he were in the office by "remoting" in. The office connection was normal, at 5,000 kBps. So the problem appeared limited to Raphael's home and that of iScan's president — both of which are on Verizon FiOS."

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
On Wednesday, a Texas man named David Raphael...

When Raphael contacted Verizon about the issue, a customer representative acknowledged that Verizon was "limiting bandwidth to cloud providers":

Screen-Shot-2014-02-05-at-11.41.51.jpg

Why does someone named David Raphael identify himself as "Peter" in a chat with a Verizon rep?

It's worth treating the rep's statement with a great deal of skepticism; the chances that this one person is completely aware of everything the company is doing seems pretty remote. Still, this was after the representative asked Raphael to perform various diagnostic tests, including a speed test using Verizon's own software, which showed Raphael's service was otherwise running normally at 75 Mbps.

Doesn't make much sense. If every person who works for Verizon is aware of massive bandwidth limiting on such a hot-button topic, why has there not been a single employee come out even anonymously and spread the word of what the company is doing?

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Did people honestly think this wouldn't happen if they were legally allowed to like they were recently?

I hope people don't mind paying extra just to load competitive websites of the isp in the near future if they are able to access it at all.