Fuel delivery issue - '85 Audi 5000s

JDMnAR1

Lifer
May 12, 2003
So I am currently working on the hand-me-down vehicle refernced in the title. It was given to me after sitting for several years with fuel in the system. Thus far, I have dropped the gas tank and had it vatted to clean it out and replaced the in-tank fuel pump and fuel relay. After reinstalling the tank and verifying that the fuel lines weren't blocked, I now get fuel all the way to the fuel distributor but none to the combustion chambers. I assume this is because the injectors are gunked up as fuel flows freely from the fuel distributor to the cold start valve. I have pulled the injectors and have a place located that will clean them, but before I go sinking much more cash into it, thought I would post here to see if anyone has any experience with this (or a similar) model. If there is something else likely to be problematic once the injectorsare cleaned, I would like to know so I can hopefully check it out now. So far I only have $300 or so in it, but if this is going to be a money pit, I will most likely end up parting it out or otherwise disposing of it.

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
I have a typ 44 audi too.. but quattro and turbo. If it's NA/FWD/automatic I wouldn't really bother.. it's like light beer.
I also have an '84 fwd/auto/turbo that sat for 6 years... drained the gas, replaced it, and it was fine. Maybe you're just unlucky.

but anyways,
I guess you can pull off the igloo, or air filter.. pull the injectors, put them in cups or something... pull the fuel pump relay, short the two big holes (that will power up the fuel pump even with the car off). The more you push the metering plate up, the more fuel you get, naturally. That should tell you if the fuel distributor is functional. It's possible that the point that the airplate pivots on is a little bit seized...
If you have a big vacuum leak, that would do it too. No air drawn across the plate = no fuel.

pressure regulator could be whacked, so that the system pressure is below the pressure required to crack an injector. The injectors for CIS are reaaaly simple. they have an integral filter, and then a pin held shut with a spring.

Are you getting *no fuel* or just very little?
What kind of pressure are you getting?

JDMnAR1

Lifer
May 12, 2003
Thanks for the reply - need to reinstall the injctors and further diagnose. I had them checked at a local shop that specializes in Bosch fuel injector systems on diesel rigs, and they appear to be fully functional.

Based on what I have checked and what you posted, the problem is most likely in one of three areas - fuel distributor, fuel pressure regulator or maybe fuel accumulator. Is there a good way to test each of these to identify where the problem actually is?

As far as your question - the two plugs I pulled were totally dry, so it appears as if no fuel is getting to the cylinders, but as I mentioned when I pulled the line from the fuel distributor to the cold start valve fuel was flowing freely. When I pulled the lines from the injectors to remove them for cleaning - no fuel. Would this be indicative of a problem somewhere in the distributor, or is this normal operation?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.