ftp to http forwarding

stringcheeseincident

Nov 11, 2003
im running an ftp server, so when i go to ftp://myip, i can access certain files. im looking for a free service that will give me a subdomain or something, and it will forward my ftp to it. myip doesnt work, it doesnt forward ftp:// addresses. in my aim profile, aim wont display links linked to an ftp:// address. im looking to fix this.

vexingv

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2002
use the static service offerred by dyndns.org (they have a free option) to create a domain. then install Directupdate on your pc, which will update dyndns w your IP so that you can always access it from the domain name you give it.

DaWhim

Lifer
Feb 3, 2003
www.no-ip.com
if your ip is static, just use the web redirect. put in your ip and pick a domain you want. free
if your ip is dynamic, you will need to run a client to update your ip address.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
You can't web-redirect FTP, there's no such feature in the FTP protocol that is equivilent to HTTP's "refresh".

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
How about this, a java ftp client. You can upload from a java app on a webpage. The only problem is you can't traverse directories (have to set one upload location) and you have to access the uploaded files separately (i just use a password protected directory listing), but I've been using the lite version (fee) and it works great:

http://www.unlimitedftp.ca/uupload/index.jsp

stringcheeseincident

Nov 11, 2003
Originally posted by: ViRGE
You can't web-redirect FTP, there's no such feature in the FTP protocol that is equivilent to HTTP's "refresh".
how would i go about dealing with this? i want to run an ftp server, but i dont want to disable my linksys configuration. any ideas for what to do?

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: stringcheeseincident
Originally posted by: ViRGE
how would i go about dealing with this? i want to run an ftp server, but i dont want to disable my linksys configuration. any ideas for what to do?

check the advanced tab in your router - mine has a tab that allows me to use DynDNS.