Fry's/Outpost - Shipping cost to Canada?

gramboh

Platinum Member
May 3, 2003
I was angry looking at all the awesome deals on Fry's/Outpost (e.g. P180 for $89.99, Seagate 7200.9/10 400GB $99) which are half the cost of goods here in Canada (ignoring the foreign exchange cost) when I realized they actually ship to Canada.

Anyone have any experience on shipping rates/times and customs costs? I can't seem to get shipping rates unless I input all my info including CC which I don't want to do at this point.

Thanks!

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
If they ship by UPS, your shipping costs will be very high. If they use the Post Office, shipping can be reasonable for smaller items but you may have to assume shipping risks to keep costs down. Any insured and trackable shipping method is going to be very high.

.bh.

pkme2

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2005
If you go to Fry's website and click on customer service; Fry's uses DHL to ship to Canada at the most reasonable rates. I've used DHL to ship from the East coast to Hawaii, which was cheaper than UPS/FedEx from Calif to Maui.

Check their FAQ's for more info.

gramboh

Platinum Member
May 3, 2003
Thanks guys,

I was going to oder an Antec P180B case for $89US but the international shipping charge came to $176.18 which is outrageous.

I know shipping US -> Canada isn't this much as I've had DHL ship a set of Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 speakers + sub (heavy, big box, P180B couldn't be much bigger or heavier) and it was $40US.

$44.51 to ship a Seagate 7200.10 750GB, that is also insane.

I will email them and ask them why its so high.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Just dont forget about customs charges. You may as well bend over and take current rip-off Canadian prices now than go with the hassle of importing that stuff. Something like 20%(J. Crew coat:roll;) for clothing, guessing it's similar for computer parts. I've seen the P180 in Toronto for $140-ish, so after factoring shipping, customs and convenience in case of a defective unit, you're better off buying here.

Seeing as you're in Alberta, I'm guessing you don't have access to a variety of stores. Have you checked out NCIX? They're in BC, prices are pretty good.

gramboh

Platinum Member
May 3, 2003
I usually buy locally from memoryexpress.com they usually have good prices on most items (ends up cheaper than shipping from NCIX or Tigerdirect) but some things are a rip off, e.g. $160 for P180B, Creative X-Fi Xtrememusic $140 and they don't have good heatsinks. I usually buy 1 or 2 items per build from other places to try to save money. I would add in the 6% GST for duty and it's usually a $20 handling fee from the courier.