Fry's in Sugarland, TX (Houston) is NOW OPEN!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HonkeyDonk

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2001
i've been driving past this stupid fry's for months now...argh, will they frickin open up so i can spend money there!!!

HonkeyDonk

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2001
drove by it today, still the same old empty building....seems like they abandoned it haha. dammit, they better open soon...i've got a nice tax return coming andn if they want to see any part of it, they'd best be opening soon.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: HonkeyDonk
drove by it today, still the same old empty building....seems like they abandoned it haha. dammit, they better open soon...i've got a nice tax return coming andn if they want to see any part of it, they'd best be opening soon.

the one in austin was like that for months before it finally opened.

jwardl

May 31, 2003
Could be some sort of regulatory/legal thing holding them up. No inside knowledge, just a thought. I've heard of home/business delays due to waiting on a permit or something of the kind.

HonkeyDonk

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2001
Originally posted by: ElFenix
Originally posted by: HonkeyDonk

the one in austin was like that for months before it finally opened.

yeah i remember that when I was at UT.

Speedwagon

Dec 4, 2004
Speaking of Frys is there mail order branch Fry's Outpost any good? I thinking about buying something online and have seen both good and bad about there products. Anybody have any bad experiences with Outpost?

Jul 1, 2000
Originally posted by: jwardl
Could be some sort of regulatory/legal thing holding them up. No inside knowledge, just a thought. I've heard of home/business delays due to waiting on a permit or something of the kind.

Rumor that I heard (from a source I cannot name) is that Fry's had troubles with their electrical contractor.

BlackPear1

Sep 6, 2004
I wonder how long it will take to iron the problems out. I drove by on Friday afternoon and there didn't appear to be a single contractor (or anyone else) at work.

IW

Jan 1, 2002
Likely they're having a problem finding enough non-native English speakers who are ALSO deficient in the slightest understanding of computers and technology products.

Even in Silicon Valley they had store clerks who knew absolutely nothing and in many cases had a hard time understanding what you were asking and you had an even harder time understanding what they were saying.

I think they like the stores to start out with minimal wage clerks so they can indoctrinate them and they don't have to worry about them knowing anything on their own.

It has improved a bit in recent years though since some speak reasonable English and a few even seem to know something these days...albeit it not much! :eek::confused::disgust:

jono8

Oct 16, 2001
Originally posted by: IW
Likely they're having a problem finding enough non-native English speakers who are ALSO deficient in the slightest understanding of computers and technology products.

Even in Silicon Valley they had store clerks who knew absolutely nothing and in many cases had a hard time understanding what you were asking and you had an even harder time understanding what they were saying.

I think they like the stores to start out with minimal wage clerks so they can indoctrinate them and they don't have to worry about them knowing anything on their own.

It has improved a bit in recent years though since some speak reasonable English and a few even seem to know something these days...albeit it not much! :eek::confused::disgust:

hahaha... though from the times I've been to Houston, there's as much of a supply as there is in the Bay Area

machoman013

Oct 20, 2003
yeah, he's right. but never the less, an excellent location for most of SW Houston. When the hell are they going to open it though? It's taking them forever!

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
saw alot of activity there yesterday.. lots of cars... maybe employee training or recruiting?
doors to the install bays were open too.

petben

Jan 26, 2005
Though fun to poke around for the sheer volume of it all, Frys is vastly overrated. Lots of second rate and refurbed items used to draw you in for the "low low prices" but the quality stuff is average pricing. And in my experience, a very difficult return policy.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: petben
Though fun to poke around for the sheer volume of it all, Frys is vastly overrated. Lots of second rate and refurbed items used to draw you in for the "low low prices" but the quality stuff is average pricing. And in my experience, a very difficult return policy.

Are you nuts?
Frys stocks great stuff.. has great weekely specials... games at way below retail on launch days...
return policy was very good in California stores... never had a problem... prolly spent 40k over the years in Frys

petben

Jan 26, 2005
I've shopped there since the first one opened in the Bay Area. The bigger they got the worse they became to deal with on returns. Last time I tried they told me I couldn't return an answering machine I bought a week earlier because they "no longer stocked that item." They took it off the shelf jsut that week. After negotiating for a half hour with several employees and finally a manager I got $10 off my next purchase (the answering machine was $30). Admittedly the games are usually priced well, but that is what they use to draw you in. As I said, I have shopped there, but you can find equally good deals online even taking shipping into consideration. I won't buy anything I might need to return.

frankgomez75

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2004
I've returned stuff weeks after I used them...lol
And they have never given me a problem.... though I don't tell them I've been using it.
Anyways, I talked to some guys over at the Frys in Space City on Nasa Rd 1 and they said they would be opening in March with lots of sales. Cant wait.

Kcucumber

Sep 8, 2001
stop having these kinds of posts please. there is no hot deal. there is a hot store opening. that can't be a hot deal.

Winterz

Mar 8, 2005
Did webster already have their grand opening sale? Jus curious because they didn't post their ad online in the Houston chronicle last weekend

Dpsypher

Jan 18, 2005
Originally posted by: Winterz
Did webster already have their grand opening sale? Jus curious because they didn't post their ad online in the Houston chronicle last weekend

I believe they did... we went out there last weekend to do some shopping and they said they had already been open a couple weeks... It is an amazing store.. they did a really good job on this one!!

Can't wait for Sugar Land!!

almostrice

May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Dpsypher
Originally posted by: Winterz

I believe they did... we went out there last weekend to do some shopping and they said they had already been open a couple weeks... It is an amazing store.. they did a really good job on this one!!

Can't wait for Sugar Land!!

What he is saying is the "Grand Opening SALE". The Webster store has been open since mid Dec. The word out is the "G O SALE" will occur for both stores after the Sugarland store opens. But with these delays, it might be Christmas again before the sale.