Discussion Fruit Cakes - Yay or Nay?

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
It is a common sight every Christmas here and many people have strong opinions on it.

I like dark, heavy fruit cakes rather than the lighter ones. I am not a big fan of marzipan which is common on fruit cakes here. I seek out the ones without it.

On a side note, I also love spice cake which is harder to find than it was 20 years ago.

:)

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
My mother gets me one every year from Collin Street Bakery. Most of them go unopened :^D I actually like fruit cake, but it's a big cake she gets me, and it's intimidating. It's also a huge calorie bomb, and I'd rather get fat off nuts and whisky than pounds of sugar in a fruit cake. I wish she got Claxton instead. I like it a little better, it's smaller, and cheaper.

Reactions: Iron Woode

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
i like fruit cake if its made with real dried fruit soaked in lots of rum. not that BS "mix peal" that you get at the grocery.

Reactions: Captante

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
i like fruit cake if its made with real dried fruit soaked in lots of rum. not that BS "mix peal" that you get at the grocery.

Yeh. Not a huge slab though. Kinda like minced meat or pecan. I think a lot of people base their opinion on mass produced shit.