Frostpunk

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Just saw it on Steam. It looks good, but I'll wait until it goes down in price. Little building sim like that isn't worth the current price tag in my opinion.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Looks interesting, lack of replay value comes up alot in reviews though, and campaign is only around 10-15 hours. So ill grab this when its under $5.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
It's a survival game, right?

When I first saw the previews it looked like some kind of RPG/FPS hybrid set in snow, but as development progressed it's more like a builder like Stg said so I lost interest.

CurrentlyPissed

Feb 14, 2013
I'm having a blast with it, one of the better games I've played in years. Very, very polished. Campaign does seem to be short, but I personally see replayabillity, as I got half way through, lost, and can't wait to fire it up again and start over rather than taking off from a save.

Also there will be mod-support next patch, and DLC later. For $30, I think it's a no-brainer. I've spent more on a dinner.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Yes. Iss one of those ridiculously hard city managers. You need to do almost everything perfect, or you will lose. Like similar games your decision to win or lose comes much earlier than the actual loss. You will have to go way back (days, weeks) and do many things differently when you finally realize you're gonna lose.
But because of all that, the warm fuzzy you get from success is that much better. Game only holds your hand a little. Visuals are lovely and depressing. Its a nice steampunk experience if you can handle it. Good music too.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm having a blast with it, one of the better games I've played in years. Very, very polished. Campaign does seem to be short, but I personally see replayabillity, as I got half way through, lost, and can't wait to fire it up again and start over rather than taking off from a save.

Also there will be mod-support next patch, and DLC later. For $30, I think it's a no-brainer. I've spent more on a dinner.

Mod support for additional campaigns would do it for me, id be in at $30 for that.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Yes. Iss one of those ridiculously hard city managers. You need to do almost everything perfect, or you will lose. Like similar games your decision to win or lose comes much earlier than the actual loss. You will have to go way back (days, weeks) and do many things differently when you finally realize you're gonna lose.
But because of all that, the warm fuzzy you get from success is that much better. Game only holds your hand a little. Visuals are lovely and depressing. Its a nice steampunk experience if you can handle it. Good music too.

So FTL without the city building?

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
So would you guys say this is easier or harder than something like Banished?

Just started playing it and so far it's harder. I've had to restart 4x already. Like Shorty said above once you make a mistake you won't realize it till you're deep in and by then you can't stop the bleeding. It's really challenging and can be pretty bleak, but offers fittingly enough glimmers of hope.

Unlike most city builders there's pretty harsh consequences to your misteps like if your 'power plant' goes out you don't loose your tax base for a day you loose your population forever.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Hm, I don't want 'hard' in doing mechanics, I want an interesting experience where I can help the poor and see rewards for it or whatever.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Hm, I don't want 'hard' in doing mechanics, I want an interesting experience where I can help the poor and see rewards for it or whatever.

Well you’re in luck as you’re in charge of a lot of poor people and children. Your decisions and guidance is their last hope for survival so make it count!

If I were to guess it was made by those people who did Sunless Sea because it has a great story that you unfold through exploring. I don’t think it’s the same people though.

It is a city builder so there’s micromanaging which is a little more involving when —— hits the fan. It makes for an engaging game. The scale isn’t huge so it’s not that tedious.

They have another game called This War of Mine that’s also supposed to have a great story and deal with survival out of a war torn country.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
If I were to guess it was made by those people who did Sunless Sea...
They have another game called This War of Mine that’s also supposed to have a great story and deal with survival out of a war torn country.

That wouldn't be good news about Sunless Sea - for me that game was "sail a little and game over'. I wanted to like it and it went badly.

This war of mine though I liked and was a work of art and a reason to buy the next game. I'm gonna get it.

Reactions: paperfist

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
That wouldn't be good news about Sunless Sea - for me that game was "sail a little and game over'. I wanted to like it and it went badly.

This war of mine though I liked and was a work of art and a reason to buy the next game. I'm gonna get it.

I agree Sunless Sea's unforgiving 'run out of gas' brutality wasn't for me either, but the story, characters and environment were alive and that's all I was comparing Frost Punk to.

Dang, wish I bought This War of Mine with Frost Punk. Could've saved some dough.

Last edited:

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
It's pretty good, but after I beat the campaign once, I have very little or no desire to play again. The game can be pretty difficult and punishing, and I just didn't want to go through all that again.

Reactions: paperfist

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
It's pretty good, but after I beat the campaign once, I have very little or no desire to play again. The game can be pretty difficult and punishing, and I just didn't want to go through all that again.

Yep I made the mistake of playing one of those new endless modes after beating the initial game and it took all the fun out. I ended up building what looks like a data center of resources on the map and had no need for humans other then to keep warm. Felt like I was running a welfare program.