Front tow hooks for a 99 Ram

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
We're looking for front tow hooks for a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 4wd diesel but are coming up empty and not seeing a good way to attach them. Does anyone have any experience or know something we don't It kinda sucks to get stuck while towing through sand and have no good way to attach a strap.

drnickriviera

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2001
I added a front receiver hitch to our 01 2500, then used a receiver shackle. Probably not as cheap as you want, but it's bolted to the frame, so you know it's not going anywhere

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
The front hitch is a good idea because it distributes the force to both framerails. Plus you can put a winch on it

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
If he goes with the front hitch, if it is a square receiver type, you can also slip a winch into it with the proper mounting hardware. Then just attach to the battery to pull yourself out. They showed that trick once on either Trucks or Xtreme 4x4

Edit: Just noticed Throckmorton already mentioned use of the hitch for a winch.

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
The front hitch is a good idea because it distributes the force to both framerails. Plus you can put a winch on it

I've got a buddy that ran wiring to the front and back receivers. He's got one winch on a plate that he can switch back and forth between the receivers to let him pull in the direction that he wants.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
i 2nd the winch idea... i have a 01 ram 1500, im pretty sure the hooks attach to the bumper brackets instead of directly to the frame, so id put at least a brush guard (optimally the receiver with a winch) on it to hang the hooks on.

kornphlake

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2003
The hitch mount winch (Warn multi-mount) is cool because you can pull yourself from either end, and you can remove it from the truck if you're taking a highway trip and don't want the weight or aerodynamic drag. The downside is that your winch can be easily removed by someone who thinks it might look better on their truck, so you've got to use a locking receiver pin, which makes it less convenient when you need to move it. The winch and mounting hardware also make a pretty heavy package, moving it from one end to the other isn't as easy as one might imagine.

A Warn Trans4mer grill guard with a front receiver and a shackle hitch sounds like it would do the trick just as well from the OP's description. On a truck that old it's likely you could negotiate a pretty good deal on an old stock kit, even if it's something they have to order from Warn, you can probably get a good deal since it's slow moving inventory at this point.

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
The hitch mount winch (Warn multi-mount) is cool because you can pull yourself from either end, and you can remove it from the truck if you're taking a highway trip and don't want the weight or aerodynamic drag. The downside is that your winch can be easily removed by someone who thinks it might look better on their truck, so you've got to use a locking receiver pin, which makes it less convenient when you need to move it. The winch and mounting hardware also make a pretty heavy package, moving it from one end to the other isn't as easy as one might imagine.

A Warn Trans4mer grill guard with a front receiver and a shackle hitch sounds like it would do the trick just as well from the OP's description. On a truck that old it's likely you could negotiate a pretty good deal on an old stock kit, even if it's something they have to order from Warn, you can probably get a good deal since it's slow moving inventory at this point.

A big advantage though is that you can keep the winch off the truck unless you're going out somewhere you might need it. It can't be stolen off your truck if its locked up in your garage.

kornphlake

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2003
A big advantage though is that you can keep the winch off the truck unless you're going out somewhere you might need it. It can't be stolen off your truck if its locked up in your garage.

I like how you used different words to make it seem like I was overlooking something. I like the multi-mount, but thought it would be fair to mention the downside. I can almost guarantee that you'll find more situations where a winch would be helpful when it is sitting miles away in the safety of your garage.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
One thing to note is that I doubt he'd get a winch. The one place he's likely to get stuck doesn't have a single place to hook one to. The truck is a hauler, not an off roader.

Nevada Willis

Jan 24, 2017
In looking at all the options for our rescue truck (including suggestions made in this thread,) we opted to go with the full-on front hitch receiver. It was not that difficult to install. Minor trimming of the air damper was required. On the 2500 I did have to drill and tap two holes (one on each side) of the frame to install the recommended "third bolt."

The front receiver has two tow eyes mounted below the bumper so there should be no damage there, and as previously stated, the structure provides really solid frame attachment, strength and stability. We also went with a 10,000 Lb. "Speed Mount" winch that would fit into the front receiver. We went with the Champion winch since it would fit in our storage space.

So here's the deal about a winch. We respond in sand and snow and, well, it's not uncommon for us to have to winch free and even use multiple vehicles as anchor points. As a result I recommend carrying a speed mount winch if you have the storage space. But here are the limitations.

The winch needs to be facing either the anchor point (if the winch is on the vehicle being extricated) or the load (if the winch is on the anchor vehicle) pretty much straight on. Otherwise the wire rope will pile up on one side of the drum and the whole business can jam. So we also made up an extension cable. The speed mount winch can be attached to any 2" receiver and the cable run up to the battery of the vehicle that will be doing the winching. Thus the winch can be positioned to give the most straight pull. If we can use a winching vehicle that also has a front receiver, this whole business gets really easy.

Here is an info sheet on our setup on the 1999 Ram 2500 that illustrates the various options to help anyone reading this thread decide on the most appropriate approach for their needs.

http://www.whmentors.org/evac/winch_pro02.html