Front page core i7 860 article

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: alyarb
Originally posted by: Idontcare
Too expensive.

Intel wants the masses to be motivated to buy $300 cpus but AMD offers more than enough processing power below that pricepoint.

Unfortunately for Intel they relegated the lowest end SKU's to be their penryn/yorkfield chips so the choices people see at Best Buy are (1) Intel's latest and greatest for >$280 minimum, (2) AMD's latest and greatest topping out at $300 and getting cheaper, or (3) last-years Intel cpu's for <$300.

My parents don't know AMD from Intel when it comes to performance, but they do make the assumption that old stuff is slower than new stuff, so when they compare AMD's new stuff to Intel's new stuff they just conclude Intel's new stuff is waaaaay over-priced but they sure as hell ain't going to buy the old stuff from Intel if they can get the new stuff from AMD for the same price.

(I'm not kidding, I just recently had the upgrade to new desktop discussion with my dad, and his conclusion? ditch the desktop and get two $400 laptops, one for him and one for mom)

Just what percentage of the consumer market needs more than 4C/4T and more than 3GHz?

how old are your parents? what resolution were the laptops? 1280x800?

Late fifties, no idea on their laptop specs, its not the kind of thing they'd know enough about to be able to answer the question if I asked them. "Looked good enough in the store" is about all the specs I hear.

drizek

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Ayah
I'm waiting/looking for an LGA1156 that's cheap, quad core and HT. (hopefully I'm not waiting for the impossible)

I think you are. Intel defines that as an i7, which means you will be paying a premium for it.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
I think if someone wants a brand new performance computer, Core i7 750 wins hands down. $110 gets you the Gigabyte UD2 and a $200 CPU. Neither socket 775 nor AM3 can touch this.

Otherwise socket AM3 still provides good performance.

For most people with Quad S775 setups, unless they sell their current setup and the cost of upgrade is small, a 45nm quad is more than sufficient.

alyarb

Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2009
well on the one hand i can't think of a modern laptop that couldn't run their apps, but on the other i'm surprised they didn't consult you before doing it.

alyarb

Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2009
yeah, look what all this integration has done to lynn's overclocks. they could've decoupled the pcie controller and voltage from the bclk and uncore but they didn't. i hope this doesn't sabotage westmere because i will be looking for some very high-freq dual cores.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Idontcare
Unfortunately for Intel they relegated the lowest end SKU's to be their penryn/yorkfield chips so the choices people see at Best Buy are (1) Intel's latest and greatest for >$280 minimum, (2) AMD's latest and greatest topping out at $300 and getting cheaper, or (3) last-years Intel cpu's for <$300.

My parents don't know AMD from Intel when it comes to performance, but they do make the assumption that old stuff is slower than new stuff, so when they compare AMD's new stuff to Intel's new stuff they just conclude Intel's new stuff is waaaaay over-priced but they sure as hell ain't going to buy the old stuff from Intel if they can get the new stuff from AMD for the same price.
I made the same mistake with a cell phone. I thought that a modern $130 cell phone would be just as good as my LG Fusic from 2 years ago, but I could not have been more wrong. I think this new Samsung is the first time I've ever seen lag on a cell phone when trying to type a text message.

Personally I've never spent over $150 for either a processor or a motherboard.
You're not alone. If the processor is more than $150, the OEM computer as a whole will be crazy expensive. Example: $850 Phenom II X4 910 system. In case you're wondering, no that computer cannot play games. It's just hardcore overpriced.

Viditor

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Originally posted by: Infrnl
Originally posted by: Ayah
I'm waiting/looking for an LGA1156 that's cheap, quad core and HT. (hopefully I'm not waiting for the impossible)

look at this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/...E16819117225&Tpk=x3440
1000 chip pricing is $215, it will get there soon Has HT. Not sure what you meant by cheap, but this is a good price IMO

My guess is that the sub $200 total for chip and mobo is going to be the new "sweet spot".