Front brake squeaks in car.. why??

LordJezo

Banned
May 16, 2001
Front brake squeaks like crazy. But not every time, and not a constant squeak.

Sometimes it is during the whole braking process, sometimes it is short, sometimes it wont happen, sometimes it goes.. squeak <nothing> squeak <nothing> squeak <nothing> as I am slowing down.

I took off the wheel and break pads to look at them and everything looks fine. Brake pad is perfectly fine and I cleaned out all the dust and dirt from everything.

Still squeaks.

I have noticed a slight groove in the disk though, like something on the brake pad had been cutting into it.

But everything was cleaned out.. still squeaks.

LordJezo

Banned
May 16, 2001
Originally posted by: brnbngls
I just recently experienced this. i had to get my rotors replaced.

Rotors? What's that?

How much? Think it's covered under warranty?

Bulk Beef

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
Brake squeal is typically caused by vibration between the back of the pad and the caliper body or piston. You can get anti-squeal goop or spray that you apply to the back of the pad.

LordJezo

Banned
May 16, 2001
Originally posted by: sward666
Brake squeal is typically caused by vibration between the back of the pad and the caliper body or piston. You can get anti-squeal goop or spray that you apply to the back of the pad.

Why would that happen in a 9 month old car?

Oct 9, 1999
on my focus.. the squeal has been coming from teh grooves on the rotor.

The rotor is that solid disk / slotted disc.. I have to replace teh rotor, but so far the mechanic says its okay for the moment, we can replace it when the pads get worn down enough. Plus it is not that bad.. in my case it squeals occasionally. Only a few times i have noticed it squeals constantly.

techfuzz

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2001
Brake squeal occurs for a number of reasons. Worn brake pads tend to begin squeling to let you know they need to be replaced when they're worn down past a certain point. Brake dust on the rotors can cause your brakes to squeal. Incorrectly mounted brake pads or pads lacking adequate lubrication on the caliper side can also cause squealing.

I would take the car someplace that will do a brake inspection for free and have them determine the cause of the problem. A brake problem can turn serious and expensive very quickly if not dealt with soon enough.

techfuzz

pcmodem

Golden Member
Feb 6, 2001
GET YOUR BRAKES INSPECTED ASAP!

Brakes can squeak for a number of reasons, most of them are not a big deal, but some can be potentially dangerous.

Brake inspections are usually free, so there's no excuse to not make time.

Misalignment of brake pads or rotors, dust or other foreign objects, air in the brake lines, et cetera, can all cause squeaking. Also, newly replaced pads often squeak for a few thousand miles until they are seated.

Drive safely,
PCM