From one annoyed conservative to another

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Proprioceptive
Now I'm definitely a conservative, and I love listening to talk radio, but lately one host has been getting on my nerves. Sean Hannity. This guy has started the "conservative underground" and "conservatives in exile" movement and it makes me want to spew chunks all over my car stereo. He's taken this conservative ideology too far and frankly, I hope it hurts his ratings. It probably won't, but it's gotta stop. Am I alone on this? I take pride in my conservative views, but man is he getting irritating.

You're just now noticing this? :Q

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Craig234
Originally posted by: Corbett
Good start, but it'll help more when you move away from identity politics - 'you're a conservative' - and towards specific policy goals, so you can switch parties if appropriate.

For me personally, I'm a conservative. Meaning, I vote pro-life, I'm for small government, low taxes, less spending, etc. I'm not a republican but currently they are the closest party to my beliefs (though not for the past few years). If the democrats want to support those issues, I will gladly switch parties.

Identity politics is something completely different. Example, "Hey, I'm black so I'll vote for the black guy" or "Hey, I'm a Christian so I'll vote for the Christian." Personally, I've never played around with identity politics and I feel sad for all those who did this past election.

Well, snce Democrats had a smaller government than Republicans for quite a while now, had as low or lower taxes for you and all but the top 2%, since Republicans have a consistent record for inceasing spending way beyond the democrats they follow - I'd say on everything but abortion you are getting a better deal on your own stated issues from Democrats. Will you back up what you said and switch? Or are you a 'one issue voter' on abortion, and if so, say that instead.

I will give you that Republicans tend to appoint anti-abortion Supreme Court justices, though you have to take a horrible radical right-wing agenda with them as well.

I'm totally open to it, but we will see just how left they take the country over the next 4 years. If they want to expand social programs, spread the wealth, tax me more, etc, then no. If they cut taxes, shrink govenment, and show themselves to be fiscal conservatives, I will consider it. Of course they will have to support social issues I line up with as well, not just abortion. Gay marriage for starters. *runs*

Of course, Craig. I could ask you the same question. Why dont YOU switch to the republican party since they seem to line up more with your ideas lately? Other than gay-marriage of course. But you're not just a "one issue" person are you?

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Kremlar
As old people die off and the younger generation takes over, conservatives i nthis country will loose power. THANK GOD!

Too bad the young grow up and become old conservatives. :laugh:

Fixed.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
I would need some specifics as to what is wrong with him to agree or disagree.

The list is too long. Just watch his show one night.

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
Now I'm definitely a conservative, and I love listening to talk radio, but lately one host has been getting on my nerves. Sean Hannity. This guy has started the "conservative underground" and "conservatives in exile" movement and it makes me want to spew chunks all over my car stereo. He's taken this conservative ideology too far and frankly, I hope it hurts his ratings. It probably won't, but it's gotta stop. Am I alone on this? I take pride in my conservative views, but man is he getting irritating.

I actually feel bad for rational conservatives. The fringe hijacked the party and brought its platform into the stone ages - many I know are embarrassed to be a part of it.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
As old people die off and the younger generation takes over, conservatives i nthis country will loose power. THANK GOD!

Too bad the young grow up and become conservatives. :laugh:

They don't actually.

Nearly everyone becomes more liberal as time goes on, it's just that as you age you become more liberal at a slower pace than the rest of the world. That's why although you're likely to be more liberal at 60 than you were at 30, the world has become so much more liberal in the time being you might be viewed as conservative.

I mean from a common sense standpoint think of most 70 year olds today. They probably are okay with interracial marriage, think segregation was wrong, many are okay with gays, etc... etc. What do you think they all thought when they were 20 in 1958? Probably something very different.

This is another reason why social liberals always win.

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: eskimospy

Too bad the young grow up and become conservatives. :laugh:

They don't actually.

Nearly everyone becomes more liberal as time goes on, it's just that as you age you become more liberal at a slower pace than the rest of the world. That's why although you're likely to be more liberal at 60 than you were at 30, the world has become so much more liberal in the time being you might be viewed as conservative.

I mean from a common sense standpoint think of most 70 year olds today. They probably are okay with interracial marriage, think segregation was wrong, many are okay with gays, etc... etc. What do you think they all thought when they were 20 in 1958? Probably something very different.

This is another reason why social liberals always win.

Nice find. I've been saying that for a while, and I'm an example of that phenomenon, and its nice to see that some one has actually studied it.

Oct 30, 2004
Now I'm definitely a conservative, and I love listening to talk radio, but lately one host has been getting on my nerves. Sean Hannity.

Hannity is a mindless moron. Based on what I've heard from him on the radio a couple years ago, he's almost incapable of critical thinking and analytical thought. He couldn't play a good Devil's Advocate if he had to to save his life.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Good start, but it'll help more when you move away from identity politics - 'you're a conservative' - and towards specific policy goals, so you can switch parties if appropriate.

For me personally, I'm a conservative. Meaning, I vote pro-life, I'm for small government, low taxes, less spending, etc. I'm not a republican but currently they are the closest party to my beliefs (though not for the past few years). If the democrats want to support those issues, I will gladly switch parties.

Identity politics is something completely different. Example, "Hey, I'm black so I'll vote for the black guy" or "Hey, I'm a Christian so I'll vote for the Christian." Personally, I've never played around with identity politics and I feel sad for all those who did this past election.

Well, snce Democrats had a smaller government than Republicans for quite a while now, had as low or lower taxes for you and all but the top 2%, since Republicans have a consistent record for inceasing spending way beyond the democrats they follow - I'd say on everything but abortion you are getting a better deal on your own stated issues from Democrats. Will you back up what you said and switch? Or are you a 'one issue voter' on abortion, and if so, say that instead.

I will give you that Republicans tend to appoint anti-abortion Supreme Court justices, though you have to take a horrible radical right-wing agenda with them as well.

I'm totally open to it, but we will see just how left they take the country over the next 4 years. If they want to expand social programs, spread the wealth, tax me more, etc, then no. If they cut taxes, shrink govenment, and show themselves to be fiscal conservatives, I will consider it. Of course they will have to support social issues I line up with as well, not just abortion. Gay marriage for starters. *runs*

Of course, Craig. I could ask you the same question. Why dont YOU switch to the republican party since they seem to line up more with your ideas lately? Other than gay-marriage of course. But you're not just a "one issue" person are you?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

Well your problem is listening to Sean Hannity. There is conservatism then there is a talking mouthpiece. Hannity is nothing but a mouthpiece for the republican party.

I like Oreilly and Medved. Medved has a great show structure and will actively debate anybody in a logical well thought out way. He rarely will ever resort to using talking points when he cant think of a quality response. And best of all he will admit when he has his mind changed.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: cwjerome
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
Further proof that conservatism is dead/dying in America. The only semi-rational person is O'Reilly and that's not saying much. at. all.

No, just further proof that YOU live in the mainstream media-world of pundits and talking heads.

It's astonishing to hear Libs proclaim conservatism dead/dying. They did the same thing after Goldwater's crushing defeat, after Nixon's embarrassment, and even after Bush 1. And all the meanwhile this country moved Right. Absolutely brilliant.
Actually I'm Libertarian and not liberal. So I should have clarified: social conservatism is dead/dying, not fiscal. But considering blundering idiots like Hannity are making ALL conservatives look bad, all that's left will be the fiscal conservatives who will jump ship to Libertarian or Whig parties. This trend is already beginning, hell I used to be a Repub until the Bible thumpers pushed me to find another party that wasn't socially conservative (but still somewhat fiscally).

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: IHateMyJob2004

Yeah that is what every generation says. Then they find out conservative and progressive is a relative term.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
:thumbsup:
Originally posted by: Genx87

Well your problem is listening to Sean Hannity. There is conservatism then there is a talking mouthpiece. Hannity is nothing but a mouthpiece for the republican party.

I like Oreilly and Medved. Medved has a great show structure and will actively debate anybody in a logical well thought out way. He rarely will ever resort to using talking points when he cant think of a quality response. And best of all he will admit when he has his mind changed.

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004

Well, I don't want to make things to complicated for you, but you have to understand that there is a thing on the radio called a power button and a tuner. Use of either one will likely solve your problem.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005

Craig?

JohnnyGage

Feb 18, 2008
Haven't listened since Shiavo, and even then it wasn't very much. Nails on a chalkboard. I only listen to Dennis Prager now--he's about the only rational one. We have a 'conservative' guy here in Phoenix, Bruce Jacobs, and he's a bigger loud mouth than Rush. I don't know how he stays on the air.

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
Afraid I have to agree with moobnbeam on this one. You will have to be more specific, as I don't watch Hannity enough to comment.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005

Craig?

Bump, for a response from Craig.

Deliximus

Aug 11, 2001
my parents have become way more liberal in the last 15-20 years.

If i go any further left, I will more left than Marx. haha

Hannity is a nut case. O'Reilly isn't that bad.

I'm all for Repubs to flock to the far right where they can wear the anchor or extreme-religiousness, fear+hate politics.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
Further proof that conservatism is dead/dying in America.

But conservatism works.

And is continuing to work at state levels.

It's just too bad the Republicans in Washington lost their ways.

Just because this board likes to pin dubya as the face of conservatism, doesn't make it true.

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004
Originally posted by: JohnnyGage
Haven't listened since Shiavo, and even then it wasn't very much. Nails on a chalkboard. I only listen to Dennis Prager now--he's about the only rational one. We have a 'conservative' guy here in Phoenix, Bruce Jacobs, and he's a bigger loud mouth than Rush. I don't know how he stays on the air.

Hah, Bruce Jacobs is the biggest douchebag...

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005

Craig?

Bump, for a response from Craig.

Craig, you've been added to my sig! Congrats!

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999

Craig, you've been added to my sig! Congrats!

ah, how pathetic, with a family to tend to - yet you find the time to rack up a list of those who you don't agree with.....