From nView to "Windows DualView" in Win2K & WinXP

SUOrangeman

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999

I have a Leadtek WinFast GeForce2 MX DH Pro (whew!) with two 17" displays connected. I would prefer the Windows native multi-display implementation that nVidia calls "Windows DualView." Essentially, this mode treats my nView/TwinView capable card as two separate display devices.

According to this PDF file (page 29 of 116), I can activate Windows DualView mode in Win2K via the steps provide. That has yet to happen.

In WinXP, I'm only seeing one display, with double-wide resolutions like 2046 x 786. This is akin to Win2K, even though the PDF states otherwise.

What gives? Was this feautre *only* in 28.32 and got pulled?

-SUO

SUOrangeman

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
After searching the 'net, I came across a registry file that is supposed to force that missing checkbox to show. After applying that reg patch XP, I still could not see two separate displays in the default Windows display control panel. Thus, I still had to enable nView to use both screens.

Well, I recently threw 29.40 drivers at XP. Again, my only option still seemed to be nView. Just for kicks, I applied that reg patch again (with nView active and using both displays as one large display). The next time booted into XP, the second "individual" display showed alongside the elongated nView display (image display 1 as a double-wide and display 2 was disabled). I disabled nView (no more double-wide) and was able to "extend my desktop" to display 2. FINALLY!!!! The DualView mode (seen as separate video devices) was mine. All hail nVidia and 29.40! :p

-SUO

dude

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
Hey, can you hook me up with that reg file? I would like to use the Windows DualView thingy rather than nView. nView is a pain in the ass.

SUOrangeman

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak]
"NvCplExposeWin2kDualView"=dword:00000001

I finally got it working in XP with 29.x and in 2k with 29.42. Chances are that it will NOT work the firs time you apply it ... nor the second, for that matter. I have tried to figure out the right combination of steps, but I don't have anything concrete yet. I think you have to have nView up so that both displays are active, apply the reg, check the control panel to see if it worked, realize that it didn't, reboot, try again (no, I am not joking).

Also, before you attempt all of this with the lowest resolution (no more than 800x600), because when it finally works, it will try to do the nView res (1600x600, or 2048x768, etc.) on one screen. It is very unlikely that your monitor will handle that res (a "double-wide, if you will) if the original res is above 800x600.

Good luck and have patience!

-SUO