Friend's prog house/trance mix *download me!*

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

phatcow

Platinum Member
Nov 25, 2000
i love it.. its nice and techy...

this is really tech housy...

nice......

i should make a techhouse mix sometimes

mithrandir2001

Diamond Member
May 1, 2001
Originally posted by: NeuroSynapsis
eh? stereo is incorrect? what was i supposed to do then?
Stereo is inefficient. You should use -js or joint stereo. For segments where the stereo separation is small, joint stereo compresses much better than stereo mode and the algorithms have become very advanced so you shouldn't hear any stereo artifacting.

LAME 3.90+ features the EASIEST way to get the best quality from MP3: the --alt-presets.

Use "lame --alt-preset standard mywav.wav mymp3.mp3" for ~192kbps VBR
Use "lame --alt-preset extreme mywav.wav mymp3.mp3" for ~256kbps VBR

The --alt-presets have special, low-level, highly-optimized code that you can't get from the legacy switches (like -V2 -q0). They are even better than the popular -r3mix switch.

bizmark

Banned
Feb 4, 2002
it's really pretty good. I have listened to it a few times now in the past few days. The mixes are all pretty smooth, it's fairly difficult to tell when one song ends and the other begins, esp. if you're not paying very much attention. So the mixing technique is good. Also all of the songs seem to be good matches. So he chose them well and ordered them well. Last thing is the choice of music.... this is rather percussive stuff, if you catch my drift. I tend to like things with more of a vocal line or a melody, done with heavier synths etc.... So that's the only place where I can really find fault with it, and of course that's more of a personal matter... of course things with prominent melodies can be a lot harder to mix together and have it come out right. But overall a very good mix.... can he pull it off on the fly? How long did it take him to develop it? Did you record this all in one take?

Also could you give some vague timings for the various tracks..... There are a few songs that I really like, but I'm too lazy to listen intently and figure out where each track begins and ends, and count up 1-2-3 songs...

I'll do some more intense listening sometime and see if I can give any more feedback... this was all based on casual listening while I did something else.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: bizmark
it's really pretty good. I have listened to it a few times now in the past few days. The mixes are all pretty smooth, it's fairly difficult to tell when one song ends and the other begins, esp. if you're not paying very much attention. So the mixing technique is good. Also all of the songs seem to be good matches. So he chose them well and ordered them well. Last thing is the choice of music.... this is rather percussive stuff, if you catch my drift. I tend to like things with more of a vocal line or a melody, done with heavier synths etc.... So that's the only place where I can really find fault with it, and of course that's more of a personal matter... of course things with prominent melodies can be a lot harder to mix together and have it come out right. But overall a very good mix.... can he pull it off on the fly? How long did it take him to develop it? Did you record this all in one take?

Also could you give some vague timings for the various tracks..... There are a few songs that I really like, but I'm too lazy to listen intently and figure out where each track begins and ends, and count up 1-2-3 songs...

I'll do some more intense listening sometime and see if I can give any more feedback... this was all based on casual listening while I did something else.

I have the cd segmented already, PM me if you want to know the times and stuff, I cna't find the piece of paper taht has it right now. See, me and him are over the vocal stuff, we're all about music without lyrics, forces you to pay attention to the beats and all the different layers and such, instead of just concentrating on the vocals/beat.

He's been spinning for about 2 years now, and has a residency at an la club (opening, but hey gotta start somewhere right?). Does a pretty good job live, has to play to the crowd though, so it doesn't make a good cd, but sure gets people on teh dance floor ;)

We did this recording in 1 shot, he thought of the set 1-2 days before, but for the most part he pulled out the records when I got there and we went with it.

bizmark

Banned
Feb 4, 2002
sounds cool, good luck to Mr Pearce. It's awesome that he has a steady DJing job in LA.

I've figured out that my favorite song is whatever is playing at 40:00... it's got more of a melody than most of the other ones. Which track would that be?

BTW I actually dislike tracks with *lyrics*-type vocals.... the fewer lyrics the better IMO. But just chanted/sung vocals w/o words can do a lot IMO.... I like the type of thing that is used in Asencion's "Someone" (Slacker and Original Vocal Mix) featured on Oakenfold's Tranceport mix CD. There are lyrics too, but the best part is this sung melodic line that has no words. (At least, I *think* it's sung -- it could be computer generated though.) BTW this CD is my 'gold standard' for both the mix and the individual tracks... I guess that can tell you something about my tastes. Tracks 3-6 and 10 in particular are my favorites.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: bizmark
sounds cool, good luck to Mr Pearce. It's awesome that he has a steady DJing job in LA.

I've figured out that my favorite song is whatever is playing at 40:00... it's got more of a melody than most of the other ones. Which track would that be?

BTW I actually dislike tracks with *lyrics*-type vocals.... the fewer lyrics the better IMO. But just chanted/sung vocals w/o words can do a lot IMO.... I like the type of thing that is used in Asencion's "Someone" (Slacker and Original Vocal Mix) featured on Oakenfold's Tranceport mix CD. There are lyrics too, but the best part is this sung melodic line that has no words. (At least, I *think* it's sung -- it could be computer generated though.) BTW this CD is my 'gold standard' for both the mix and the individual tracks... I guess that can tell you something about my tastes. Tracks 3-6 and 10 in particular are my favorites.

track at 40 is christopher lawrence - mind eraser

the great thing about me and walter is that we both evolved into listening to the same type of music. we started out listening to pussy trance and the like (no offense to you pussy trance listeners ;)) but now we both like the same kinda music, so it's great =)

Actually in his record collections, he doesn't have any true vocal tracks lol. Personally I like the mixes between track 1-2 and 2-3, + 7-8 the best ;)

How do I make a cue file with nero? or what's an easy way to make a cue file? I'll send you that, because I made this a cd for myself and I listen to it often ;)