'Friendly fire' hits Kurdish convoy (and American special forces)

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002

Massoud Barzani's brother was wounded in the attack
An American warplane has bombed a Kurdish convoy in northern Iraq which had been joined by members of US special forces, killing several people.
The BBC's world affairs editor John Simpson, who was travelling with the convoy, says he counted at least 10 bodies and several others were wounded.

It is the latest in a series of "friendly fire" incidents involving coalition forces during the Iraqi conflict.

Kurdish military commander Wajy Barzani, brother of the leader of the Kurdistan Democratic Party (KDP), was wounded in the attack.

The US military acknowledged that coalition aircraft were conducting close air support at the time of the incident, and said it was investigating the incident.

'Scene from hell'

The incident occurred about 30 miles (48km) south east of Mosul, as the convoy was heading towards the town of Diberjan, a town recently captured by the Kurdish forces from Iraqi soldiers.

More pictures from the scene

Mr Simpson said the convoy had joined up with another US special forces group of vehicles, and all parties had just got out of their vehicles, when a US special forces soldier called in an air strike after spotting an Iraqi tank in the distance.

Our correspondent, who suffered minor injuries in the attack, said a bomb was dropped from a US plane only 10 to 12 feet (about four metres) from where he was standing.

'FRIENDLY FIRE' INCIDENTS
6 April: US/Kurdish convoy attacked by US jet
3 April: US soldier killed by US ground forces
3 April: US ground forces attacked by US jet, 3 killed
28 March: UK vehicles attacked by US jet, 1 killed
25 March: UK tank fires on another British tank, 2 killed
23 March: UK jet shot down by US missile, 2 killed

He described a "scene from hell", with all the vehicles in the convoy on fire and bodies - American and Kurdish - lying around and others burning to death right in front of him.

Those who survived suffered only light shrapnel injuries and perforated eardrums.

But despite the efforts of US special forces' medics, Mr Simpson's translator died from injuries caused by a large piece of shrapnel which hit him in the lower legs.

Kurdish forces, backed by the US, are advancing south from their self-ruled enclave in northern Iraq on the cities of Mosul and Kirkuk, held by Saddam Hussein's forces.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/2921743.stm

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
Not to minimize this tragedy, but methinks the correspondent was exaggerating when he said that a bomb landed 10-12 feet away from him and he suffered only minor injuries. The concussion from the bomb, at that distance would have popped his eardrums, hence he would have been stone deaf, it also would probably have collapsed his lungs and most probably would have thrown him 50 or more feet through the air only to land in the dirt fracturing bones and incurring severe lacerations. This is all presuming that he miraculously wasn't hit by any shrapnel!

Sounds a bit like self -aggrandizement in his report.

Again, I'm not minimizing the horror of the friendly fire incident.

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
Im waiting on official verification of the total damage since the BBC has been known for its over zealous reporting in a negative light and the Pentagon has only reports of a lot fewer casualties.

PELarson

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2001
From the BBC link

"It was painted white and red. It crashed into the ground about 10 or 12 metres from where I was standing"

So around 30 feet give or take.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
I guess the reporter could have exaggerated, maybe he would since he got shrapnel in the leg and had bleeding eardrums, and still reported, so he might be a little peeved.
I say Simpson has some serious guts, and I would e inclined to believe him.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I am watching the footage on ABC World News right now.

He was bleeding all over the camera.

Morph

Banned
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: mastertech01
Im waiting on official verification of the total damage since the BBC has been known for its over zealous reporting in a negative light and the Pentagon has only reports of a lot fewer casualties.

Wrong. BBC is reporting things objectively. If you want the sugar-coated version, wait for the US media to report it or wait for the statement from the Pentagon.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The US Military is obviously the best Military Machine on the planet. I think the biggest improvement it could possibly get would be either an improved Freindly Verification System or perhaps a more stringent Targeting Procedure. Friendly Fire will always be a part of war, but IMO there is no reason why Friendly Fire should occur in Low risk situations.

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Morph
Originally posted by: mastertech01

Wrong. BBC is reporting things objectively. If you want the sugar-coated version, wait for the US media to report it or wait for the statement from the Pentagon.

Morph shut up already.