Friend REFUSES to buy any Gas besides 76!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
I had a friend that would go out of his way to buy Shell gas only, funny thing though was that one time somehow ammonia got into their gas and when he filled up it destroyed some seals in his engine or something like that, then he had to go through an ordeal to get Shell to pay for the repairs to his engine, which they did.

As far as I know he still prefers Shell gas though.

For me, I don't give a shyte where I get it from, I usually get it from the Sam's Club gas station though since it's on average at least 20 cents cheaper per gallon.

thirdeye

Platinum Member
Jun 19, 2001
www.davewalter.net
I generally only put Sunoco in my TL and STi. Up until recently they were the only ones who sold 94 octane, but they dropped to 93 for whatever reason. My tuner also informed me that he has had best luck tuning with Sunoco, so I'm sticking with it.

misle

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
I get about 300 miles from a tank went I use BP and Shell.
If I fill up anywhere else, I get around 250. I don't know why, but this is what I've observed.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
While it's true that gas is gas at most stations, some stations are not maintained well and can have dirty tanks or water in the gas. And if your vehicle requires super or mid grade, some stations can have bad mixes and you're getting a lower octane gas.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Most gas companies have thier gasoline shipped through the same pipe. And that barrel that they put in won't be the same barrel that they take out.

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
Originally posted by: SagaLore
Actually, not all gas mixtures are the same.

My engine always sputtered after filling up at a Citgo.

The station you used probably has old tanks that accumulate condensation (water in the gas)