Friend Purchased XP-Pro REALLY cheap.. Legit or not???

MajorPayne

Dec 23, 2004
My next door neighbor often asks for my advice and help when working with his computer (he is an art appraiser, and not very computer savvy, but IS somewhat adventurous with his stuff). A few weeks ago, he asked me what I thought of a deal he found (on some site on the internet) to purchase Windows XP Pro for $40.00. I told him that it MIGHT be an OEM copy (and it is still WAY too cheep even for an OEM), and if it is, then the seller would require him to buy a hardware piece with it. He checked, and it was labled as an OEM, although it did not require any hardware purchase? I advised him to steer clear of it, and pay the extra from a up-and-up online retailer like newegg. He let the matter drop, and I forgot about it until yesterday, when he asked me to come over and install his new copy of XP! It came in a plain white shipping envelope with a support email address (something stupid like support@validms.com or some similar thing -- it sounded pretty fishy). when he opened it, the cd was just laying in there (no cd-sleeve, manual, etc.). Worse yet, the CD itself has an obviously homemade label, which is an ATTEMPT to imitate the regular MS one, but it is not actually holographic (it looks nothing like other copies of XP that I have). Also, the installation key is a part of the label! I explained to him that this looks VERY suspicious to me, and that MS would never add the product key directly onto the CD. He asked me to check it out, so I took it home, installed it on a spare machine (it took the key OK), and ran the MS real-windows test from thier website -- it passed fine, they claim it is a legitimate copy! However, the CD looks nothing like any of the CD's on the websites anti-piracy image design comparisons. I was then puzzled, but then decided that perhaps they had a legit license, sold with a duplicate disk... But, then I realized that it had never asked for activation! So at this point, I am pretty sure it is a non-legit copy of windows, which has either been hacked to avoid activation, or has a corporate key (god knows where they got it). My questions are: 1) does anyone else agree this sounds like a fake copy of XP? and 2, what should I tell my friend.. I can advise him to use it (since it works, installs, and passes the counterfiet test (except for the look-alike test). I can advise him to seek a refund from the seller (which would be difficult at best with no phone number, and only a fishy sounding support email), or I can tell him to use the MS anti-piracy exchange program, where you trade your fake copy for a real one in return for ratting out the dealer that sold it? I am not sure what to advise at this point, my instinct says to tell him to try the counterfiet exchange, and to NOT install it (since he would be doing an upgrade install to preserve his programs and files, etc.)?

yelo333

Dec 13, 2003
As mechBgon said, def. not legit.

I'd personally go the anti-piracy exchange program, if it would work. However, they are apparently not looking for "low-quality" counterfit, which your friends copy may fall under, given the fact the installation key was on the cd. See here:
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/purchase/QualifyInfo.aspx

I don't see why it would hurt to try the support email addy, though I would be surprised if it actually worked.

Dennis Travis

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
A VERY Nieve pastor friend of mine visited Phnom Penn, Cambodia. He went into a computer store there and they sold him a So CALLED factory Windows XP Pro. He brought it back home to Calif and showed it to me as he needed help installing it. I took one look and saw the label was fake and the serial was right on the label. I did a search and that was one of the most Pirated XP Pro serial codes on the net! They charged him $40 for it too! Amazing they could get away with selling that at a real comptuer store but I guess anything goes there in Cambodia. The Fake was destroyed and he learned a lesson although it was a shame he wasted $40.

The only Legit XP Pro I have seen for $40 is if you work for Microsoft, you can purchase XP Pro in the Box with SP2 for $35. I have a close friend who works for Microsoft. Any other copy that cheap at a store and not used has to be fake.

I agree, put the serial on Google, I would bet you will get a lot of hits.

MajorPayne

Dec 23, 2004
Guys, thanks for suggesting Googling the serial.... I cannot believe that I never thought of that (and I have done it before)! It is DEFINITELY a counterfiet -- the key shows up on hundreds of different sites for cracks and keys and serialz, etc. This is going to suck for him, I thought he paid $40.00, but he just let me know he paid over $80.00!

I know the site he bought from does not have a phone number, just a support@oemsupport.biz email address (which was written on the cover of the envelope in ballpoint pen)! I doubt he will be able to get his money back, and he definitely cannot use the MS-exchange program... This CD would not fool a blind man.

IF I recommend he not use it, and he does anyway, what can happen? I am pretty sure it is a corp key, since it has no activation, and it passed thier piracy check on the website... What is likely to happen if he does not listen to me about not installing it (especially since he will use it to upgrade from an earlier version, so he cannot really uninstall it)?

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
Aside from the possibility of it being pre-laced with a beautiful selection of rootkits and backdoors so it can be used as ___________ (a Spam relay, IRC server, worm-spreading bot of doom, etc), he also may not be able to get security updates at Windows Update either.

What would worry me most is that these chumps have his credit-card number now. :Q But anyway, tell him to listen to the little voice that's saying he ought to get a legit license and a known-good piece of media (the CD). It's only money.

jamesbond007

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
First things first, I'd go report it to Microsoft by calling their 800 number.

http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/Reporting.mspx

Then try to get it exchanged, but that'd be the least of my worries. Get that guy's creditcard cancelled now! Follow close with MS to see if they can't find this ass-clown and put him in jail!

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
It is more than likely a corporate edition of XP, it does not require activation.

Oct 16, 2002
MS will compensate you or exchange a legit copy if you give all the info that you have about the people you bought it from.

agentsmith101

Mar 15, 2005
Originally posted by: Dennis Travis
A VERY Nieve pastor friend of mine visited Phnom Penn, Cambodia. He went into a computer store there and they sold him a So CALLED factory Windows XP Pro. He brought it back home to Calif and showed it to me as he needed help installing it. I took one look and saw the label was fake and the serial was right on the label. I did a search and that was one of the most Pirated XP Pro serial codes on the net! They charged him $40 for it too! Amazing they could get away with selling that at a real comptuer store but I guess anything goes there in Cambodia. The Fake was destroyed and he learned a lesson although it was a shame he wasted $40.

The only Legit XP Pro I have seen for $40 is if you work for Microsoft, you can purchase XP Pro in the Box with SP2 for $35. I have a close friend who works for Microsoft. Any other copy that cheap at a store and not used has to be fake.

Not true, I purchased an OEM copy for $8 plus shipping. I think its better than getting the retail version for $40. (I believe paying morfe than $10 is too much for microsoft.)

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Originally posted by: agentsmith101
Originally posted by: Dennis Travis

Not true, I purchased an OEM copy for $8 plus shipping. I think its better than getting the retail version for $40. (I believe paying morfe than $10 is too much for microsoft.)

You're probably a student. We're not talking about special academic purchasing programs here. :)

fuentefan

Nov 2, 2004
I've bought several copies of Windows over the years and I find it easier to use the "corporate" versions, no activation necessary, especially considering how much i change hardware

Jon855

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2005
Originally posted by: fuentefan
I've bought several copies of Windows over the years and I find it easier to use the "corporate" versions, no activation necessary, especially considering how much i change hardware

I wonder how much do they differ in terms of cost?

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
tons...

I think most of the "Corp" versions floating around are from valid MSDN packs. With the MSDN pack, you get a "Volume License" version of Windows XP, which does not require activation (I know because I have an MSDN account). Someone in IT copies it, passes it on to a brother in law/friend etc, who keeps passing it around. I don't know if MS tracks Volume License keys, and they are unique per MSDN account, but I would suspect they do. Try explaining to your boss why your MSDN account was suspended...

MajorPayne

Dec 23, 2004
Originally posted by: nweaver
tons...

I think most of the "Corp" versions floating around are from valid MSDN packs. With the MSDN pack, you get a "Volume License" version of Windows XP, which does not require activation (I know because I have an MSDN account). Someone in IT copies it, passes it on to a brother in law/friend etc, who keeps passing it around. I don't know if MS tracks Volume License keys, and they are unique per MSDN account, but I would suspect they do. Try explaining to your boss why your MSDN account was suspended...

Just to update everyone.... I spoke with my friend, and showed him the key search on google.... It is true that seeing is believing, I think he doubted me until he saw that, then he just got real quiet... Also, I thought he paid 40, but he is actually out around $80.00, so he got screwed for almost double the original amount that I thought. He is NOT going to use it (since his intention is to upgrade his machine he uses for his business, and once upgraded, he cannot go back). He is seeking a refund from the place that sold it to him, but I am doubtful that he will get his money back. He is also disputing the charge to his CC, and he says that he will watch it for charges, but he will not cancel it. Hopefully the company is just selling illegal software, and not collecting CC numbers for use later. And at least I warned him, so he should be aware that this is possible, but he did not listen to me about the discount software either, so hopefully this choice will not bite him in the butt too!

RaiderJ

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
Your friend isn't the brightest guy in the world.... doesn't everyone know "if it seems to good to be true, it probably is."

Oh well. Props to you for helping him out.

gwag

Feb 25, 2004
it just a corp version, its likely he will never have a problem using it, I would have him get his money back or call the credit card co and contest the charge.

MajorPayne

Dec 23, 2004
Originally posted by: gwag
it just a corp version, its likely he will never have a problem using it

I know, which is why I was wondering about the possibilities if he did not listen to me, and used it anyway (since he ignored my advice about buying the damn thing, and about his CC number being possibly vulnerable now). Fortunately, he decided that it is not wise to install possibly illegal software on your business machine, especially considering he wants to use it to upgrade from his current version, so he would not be able to uninstall it (and a clean format/reinstall is this guy's WORST nightmare scenario -- he has millions of odd little programs and files that he could never find/back up). He is going to get it from newegg, and hopefully get his money back for the counterfiet copy.