Friend Buying Recertified Alienware Rage

iamskew

Aug 17, 2004
TL;DR: Incompetent friend bought recertified Alienware Aurora R3, plans to sell RAM/video cards and put in new ones. Never built a PC, part of part sale includes installing SLI setup & RAM in guy's computer. Meanwhile, he planned to magically use his computer without a video card for 3 months. Rage ensued.

I haven't posted here in ages, but my friend has pissed me off so royally that I had to post somewhere.

So, my buddy has been bugging me for months, while I'm in my last semester of school, about building him a new computer. His nagging finally gets the best of me (I finally get excited at the prospect of building another computer, my 5th or so I guess) and I spend several hours researching the latest parts and pricing them out.

He's originally obsessed with getting the best of the best, core i7, gtx 570, top of the line mobo, too much ram, etc. etc. I price something out at like $1800.

I tell him we can build it after my exams in late December, or he'd have to wait until after the bar exam in March for me to build it with him. He won't have the money in December, so we decide to wait until March.

Well, he's impatient, so he starts doing his own research and stumbles upon a recertified alienware here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883155310

Granted, at $1,009 it's not the worst deal I've ever seen. On top of that, someone is going to buy the two GTS 450s and the RAM for $225. That brings the price down to $784. He plans to add at least 8 gb of ram (~$45) and a gtx 570 (~$360). I figure there's a chance he'll need a new power supply, and he definitely will at some point because he has discussed going SLI later on down the line when the price of 570s drop. So, a new power supply will run ~$140. That takes him back up to $1329.

Now, the one thing I need to mention is that he's never built a computer before. Neither has the guy who is buying the video cards and RAM from him. Not to be a dick, but my friend is not particularly bright. When he told me he was going to sell the video cards right away, he told me he would then wait until March to get a new video card because that's apparently when new video cards are coming out. (I don't know if that's true, but it sounds reasonable.) When I asked him how he planned to use his computer with a video card, all I got in response was "oh" and then silence.

Meanwhile, when he first told me about the recertified alienware, I proposed an alternate build with a core i5 2500k, gtx 570, msi mobo, antec case, wd caviar black 1 tb hdd, corsair psu, and 8gb kingston hyper x ram, plus keyboard & mouse at around $1300, the same price.

So, in reality, the deals are pretty similar. Although an i7 2600 (not K) is presumably at least a little better all around than a 2500k, it really isn't for gaming. The msi mobo is probably better, and i'm guessing the caviar black is better as well. Also, I don't even know what kind of psu will fit in the aurora case.

I mean, it's his money and he's free to do what he wants with it, but I'm pissed off that he wasted a bunch of my time researching parts and coming up with a build and is instead buying some piece of garbage recertified dell/alienware.

Anyway, that's about it. I know this is a stupid post, but I had to write this down so I could move on. If you read it this post, thanks for sharing in my rage.

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
If he is going to be mainly gaming then either put a build together round the 2500k or get him to find a prebuilt from dell with that part. He doesn't need the I7 and the 2500k will actually return better results a lot of the time because you can very easily overclock it to around 4.5ghz.

A prebuilt might require him to upgrade the PSU when he fits more powerful gpu/s but considering the discounts you can find on dell systems it shouldn't matter.

Buying an alienware is completly pointless, you are paying for the name and personally I would much rather pick individual components tailored to exactly what he needs and put it together yourself.

For gaming only all he needs is something like

Z68 mobo
SSD/HDD of your choice but I would recommend 120gb SSD and a 1tb HDD with the OS installed straight to the SSD and some room left for his favorite games, with everything else put on the HDD)
GPU of your choice depending on the resolution/settings he will want to play on
8gb of ram (hell he will probalby never use more than 4gb but for the price 8gb is a nice future proofing)

TL/DR

Fill out the sticky post at the top of this forum with the relevant info and budget and you will get a build tailored to exactly what he needs. Also remember if he wants your help he has to take your advice, if he is going to confuse things by asking for SLI/16gb of RAM/prebuilts you have to mess around with to get working all of which he will never need and can cause increased system instability/upkeep on your part tell him to find someone else to build it because you will never hear the end of it.

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
It's hard being the resident computer geek. We try to help but people don't listen. Then it breaks and it's somehow our fault. Kinda no-win....... unless you charge $50.- up front every time anyone asks a ????? :twisted:

Otherwise they can take their sorry butts over to best buy and see how well the geek squad there bends them over.

iamskew

Aug 17, 2004
Puppies04: He already bought the alienware, so there's nothing I can do. In fact, the build you discussed in your post is essentially exactly the build I tried to get him to do. To keep the budget down I didn't include an SSD (he wouldn't believe me they're worth it anyway), but otherwise exactly the same.

Monkeydelmagico: Exactly sir. I railed on him for days telling him not to buy that computer, but he wouldn't listen. I think the selling point for him, however pathetic this is, is that he could have the recertified alienware this upcoming week rather than the build with me the following week. That's why I told him to never speak to me about the computer again, and to not ask me for help with anything regarding it. If he won't take my advice, then I'm not going to rescue him when he messes up.

EagleEye

Nov 5, 2005
I've been there with you..."you spent how much for what??"...shortly followed by, "then why did you ask for my help?"

It's his loss, but at least you were trying to be a good friend and get him the best computer for his buck. It's his fault for not being able to be patient and delay gratification for a week.

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
Puppies04: He already bought the alienware, so there's nothing I can do. In fact, the build you discussed in your post is essentially exactly the build I tried to get him to do. To keep the budget down I didn't include an SSD (he wouldn't believe me they're worth it anyway), but otherwise exactly the same.

Monkeydelmagico: Exactly sir. I railed on him for days telling him not to buy that computer, but he wouldn't listen. I think the selling point for him, however pathetic this is, is that he could have the recertified alienware this upcoming week rather than the build with me the following week. That's why I told him to never speak to me about the computer again, and to not ask me for help with anything regarding it. If he won't take my advice, then I'm not going to rescue him when he messes up.

Sorry to hear that, probably better you wash your hands of it, these people never learn and are always the first people trying to blame you when something goes wrong.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Wow, that's bad.

I would've spent $400 less and gotten 90% of the performance with an XPS 8300 + 6950.

Last edited:

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
Dual GTS 450? LOL! You want to know what's worse than a low-end GPU in a gaming rig? Two low-end GPUs in a gaming rig. Welcome to microstutter city.

Oh well, you just can't teach some people. You did the right thing by telling him that you're not going to help him out after he ignored your advice.

iamskew

Aug 17, 2004
Thanks for the comments everyone. I was worried I was being too harsh on the guy, so it's nice to hear everyone agrees with me. He's still my friend, but the computer is officially his problem to deal with.

General Kenobi

Sep 29, 2011
Yeah, you did the right thing there. I've learned from experience that getting involved in other people's projects will invariably cause you a lot of work and some of it isn't going to be used. Well, at least that's how it is with non-tech-savvy people.

Maybe your friend will learn a lesson here. It should have been learned with cheaper components, but what can you do.

Edit: I just looked at the Alienware case... that's one fugly case. You'd expect to get something a bit better looking from a brand name.

Last edited:

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
I just looked at the Alienware case... that's one fugly case. You'd expect to get something a bit better looking from a brand name.

Agreed. Skew can point and laugh. "It hurts my eyes". Send lolcat pics with captions. General ridicule until said friend absolutely does not EVER speak about computers again.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
All you can do is give advice based on the best information you can obtain.

What your friends do with that advice is up to them.

(see my ZT systems thread)

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
It's hard being the resident computer geek. We try to help but people don't listen. Then it breaks and it's somehow our fault. Kinda no-win....... unless you charge $50.- up front every time anyone asks a ????? :twisted:

Otherwise they can take their sorry butts over to best buy and see how well the geek squad there bends them over.
If you're the last one who touched the PC, anything that ever goes slightly wrong with it is automatically your fault, even if it's just something like replacing a surge suppressor or the speakers. You own that PC forever, as well as others that will sit in its place in the years that follow. You'll also be called upon when they discover that all their files from the old PC have not magically migrated to the new PC.

"Well maybe the new surge suppressor is inducing some extra megabits into the CPU. That's probably defragging the monitor cable, which is what's keeping my windows from minimizing."*

They know a few keywords, and they think they know how to diagnose a computer, or at least they want to find a way to make it your fault.

No, I don't know a darn thing about computers, sorry. :sneaky:

*- Not an actual quote, but I've heard things along these lines, which clearly demonstrate that a lot of people receive their knowledge of electronics and physics from Power Rangers and CSI, which are of course written by people who are TV writers because all they ever knew of physics was "This stuff sucks, I hate numbers and atoms."

A fine example was someone who insisted that a relay had stopped working because of interference caused by a ~20-story that had been recently built. This building was located about 15 blocks away. o_O
Actual cause of the problem: A car had hit the sensor that triggered the relay.

Last edited: