Fried rice

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Any recommendations on how to make it? I've never made it before but I love the stuff when I eat at chinese restaurant.

I guess its pretty simple, but what all goes in it? Any tricks to making really it really well?

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Throw some MSG in there and it tastes great. Otherwise I can't remember anything else special...

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Make the rice the day before, shove in fridge. Don't make it using freshly cooked rice as you want dry grains.

Make sure the heat is high enough, otherwise everything will mush up. I cook the meats/veggies ahead of time and then dump the rice in there. One pan/wok, all the way through. Also, get good dark sodium filled soy sauce.

Josh

Lifer
Mar 20, 2000
it never tastes like the fried rice you get at a local chinese delivery place though

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
heres how I do it, but it's probably not authentic:

Meat:

Butterfly/pound chicken breasts/thighs. Marinate in teriyaki/soy for a few hours.
Cook it in a skillet with olive oil.

Veggies:

Saute brocoli first, then toss in peppers/peas/onions, etc...
Use lots of olive oil and some soy sauce
I usually also throw some sugar into the veggies before hand

Rice:

Cook rice ahead of time, and let cool
I use a mixture of half whole grain wild rice, and half white rice
Saute rice in olive oil and some soy sauce.
Scramble some eggs next to the rice (in the same skillet), then when they are close to being cooked, mix them in with the rice as it fries...

Mix everything together, and enjoy.

sonambulo

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2004
Originally posted by: Josh
it never tastes like the fried rice you get at a local chinese delivery place though

That's because you're missing the sweat of a man working off a lifetime of mah jong debt.

ChaoZ

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Josh

Cause they reuse the oil. If they deep fry something with the oil, they'll save the oil. I think they also use a bit of chicken stock. The degree of heat from the stove is also a factor.

richardycc

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
the secret is pork fat/lard and high heat pro gas range, thats the fried rice you make at home will never taste like it's from a restaurant.

Chronoshock

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: richardycc
the secret is pork fat/lard and high heat pro gas range, thats the fried rice you make at home will never taste like it's from a restaurant.

Yep, chinese restaurants (any restaurant really) has extremely high BTU burners that impart a "smokiness" to the rice which you cannot get any other way.

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Rudee
Originally posted by: ChaoZ
http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-egg-fried-rice

Switch the oyster sauce to soy sauce. You can basically use any ingredient you want.

Carrots in fried rice?

I always use carrots. green peas, string beans, shrimp, and pieces of maybe chicken or liver.
But then again...The African version I know and cook is different from the Chinese variety.

And no, I don't use egg.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Chronoshock
Originally posted by: richardycc

Yep, chinese restaurants (any restaurant really) has extremely high BTU burners that impart a "smokiness" to the rice which you cannot get any other way.

A heavy cast-iron helps.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Kelvrick
Make the rice the day before, shove in fridge. Don't make it using freshly cooked rice as you want dry grains.

Make sure the heat is high enough, otherwise everything will mush up. I cook the meats/veggies ahead of time and then dump the rice in there. One pan/wok, all the way through. Also, get good dark sodium filled soy sauce.

:thumbsup:

JC86

Jan 18, 2007
here's what you need,
two eggs
skinless chicken breast
diced onions and carrots
day old rice
salt pepper soy sauce

scramble the eggs in oil until they're not watery but not completely cooked, remove and add some more oil
Oil and a big pan is the key because it coats the granules and a big pan allows you room to properly stir the rice
add the diced chicken, onions and carrots till and cook till the chicken in brown and the onions and carrots are softened
add the rice and eggs in and stir vigorously to combine, now's the time to season it to your liking.