Fried Memory Slot Question

mysticjbyrd

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2015
I have 6 memory slots in MS 7591 Board. This is a triple channel board. They are colored with a 3 set black, and a 3 set white. I can't put three sticks of memory into the black slots, as they won't be recognized.

The middle white slot is fried, and won't recognize my memory.

I currently have 2 memory sticks into the white slots, and one in the first (closest to the CPU) black slot. This is currently working, and yields 4x3=12gv of memory.

My questions are,
Is this configuration is the best?
I realize I can't get triple channel functionality back as things stand, but is this an issue?
How is CPUz showing this as Dual channel, when I am missing a 4th slot of memory?
Would I be better off with 8 GB in dual channel?

EDIT:
I also have 3*2 Gb of DDR3 1333 memory sticks if that is helpful somehow.

This is the full story of my failed OC, if you are interested.
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2457601

Last edited:

ArisVer

Golden Member
Mar 6, 2011
More memory is better than speed. Get by with what works until you upgrade. It's not a big deal. I would also try to add some 2GB sticks, if they can work together.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Nah, it's personal now. I refuse to upgrade until I find out the specs of Zen.

You have a long, long wait then.

Besides, you just need a new MB, not a new CPU yet, so, might as well get a used MB if you want to save some $$$.

mysticjbyrd

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2015
Well if you've only got two working slots then do the math.

6 dimms actually

You have a long, long wait then.

Besides, you just need a new MB, not a new CPU yet, so, might as well get a used MB if you want to save some $$$.

The board can still work fine like this.

It shouldn't make a huge difference in performance either.

Last edited:

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
How is CPUz showing this as Dual channel, when I am missing a 4th slot of memory?

Because you only need two slots to have dual channel. Why would you need 4? Right now, you have a total of 8GB working in dual channel, plus 4GB working in single channel.

I also have 3*2 Gb of DDR3 1333 memory sticks if that is helpful somehow.

It's only important if A) It requires the same amount of voltage as your 4GB sticks with the same (or tighter) timings and B) You're interested in having 16GB of dual-channel memory, without having to buy another 4GB stick of RAM.