Question Fresh Windows 10 Installation Help

cctaylor88

Nov 2, 2012
I plan on saving all of my files/documents on another device. So I want to perform a like new clean install. Is my best option to "Reset this PC" under the "Recovery" tab of the Control Panel?

On a separate USB I plan on creating Windows 10 installation media, do I have to format the USB in anyway or will the website run me through all of that?

Things I'm worried about:

1. I essentially want to wipe everything and it's been a long time since I've "partitioned" any drives. I have many SSDs. When I am greeted with the "Where do you want to install Windows" screen I will select my hopeful C:drive to install Windows BUT for all of the other drives that show up... I want to wipe these clean as well. Am I to "format" or "delete" or "refresh" these drives?

2. Am I able to utilize and insert the Windows Media USB in 3.0 or must it be 2.0? I remember USB being an issue 4yrs ago when I did this.

3. My biggest worry is all of the drivers that are currently up to date on m y PC. I have no idea where/how to download new drivers etc. What can I do ahead of time to find updated drivers? For example GPU and LAN drivers are my biggest concerns.

4. What is Ninite good for?

5. I feel like I'm forgetting a lot of stuff so please give me any advice at all.

ArisVer

Golden Member
Mar 6, 2011
You are overthinking this or trying to be cautious.

Anyway, you should always have a backup of your files, at least two copies.

Then try the "Reset this PC" way. There should be an option there to keep your files, better choose it. When you do a reset, everything but your files is written from scratch.
As far as the drivers, unless your machine is too old you shouldn't have any problems. Windows will take care of that. You can always update your drivers to the latest by searching the manufacturers website, after the initial installation.

Ninite is good for downloading a lot of programs at once, instead of going here and there and elsewhere.

In case the reset does not work come back for more (the USB way).

Nov 20, 2009
Personally, I would buy a new drive, HDD or SSD, and install Windows 10 on it and then migrate stuff. As others have said, remove all other storage devices and during the Windows 10 install make sure you disconnect any means for that PC from connecting to the Internet to avoid being forced to create a Microsoft online account. Once the basic Windows 10 install has completed, reconnect to the Internet and complete the update, forgoing additional benefits of online account, and complete to fully updated system and then, and only thn, begin migrating your other stuff from its original drive.

Drives today are so cheap there is no reason to mess with an existing drive and its existing OS installed or having to risk backing stuff up and then forgetting something. Let the past remain safe and separated and treat the new as a unique install with its own drive.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Drivers: OP, did you have any trouble getting anything working when you first built the PC?

Chances are Windows 10 is going to have at least some basic drivers for you to work with (particularly networking), and from there newer drivers can be downloaded if need be.

Sak78

Jun 15, 2020
On a separate USB I plan on creating Windows 10 installation media, do I have to format the USB in anyway or will the website run me through all of that?
The minimum USB size is 16GB, depending on how big the Windows iso file you downloaded is.It is best to use an empty USB.
About burning tool,how about iMgburn?
It is good at burning Windows iso to a disk without losing.

Last edited:

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Currently for both ISO or Boot USB, when choosing the option of All versions of Win 10, Both x86 & x64.

The Media Tool generates 6.8GB of content.

:cool: