Nov 26, 2005
I recently fell for the 128Gb 840 Pro. Haven't installed it yet. Does it have to be formatted before installing the OS? I usually hook it up to a port, computer management, format drive, etc.

Thanks

tracerbullet

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2001
I stuck Win 7 on mine today. Didn't do anything other than plug in the drive (also 128GB 840 Pro), boot from the Win 7 CD, and follow the on screen prompts for a fresh install. It did the rest on its own.

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
As a fun variation, try installing from a USB stick. I really like that method, but I was lucky to have a Win 7 installation that is easy to install from USB stick. Anyway, if you plan to re-install at all in the future, I'd say it's worth making a USB installation.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
You don't have to format an SSD or HDD to install Windows on it. Windows installer will format it properly for you.

Old Hippie

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2005
All drives need formatted to the correct file system before use.

Usually Windows will do it for you.

No do not format the drive. SSDs are not like HDDs.
How about a link for that?

ryderOCZ

Feb 2, 2005
Formatting an SSD is fine, but always use "quick format". You never need/want to "full format" an SSD.

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
I recently fell for the 128Gb 840 Pro. Haven't installed it yet. Does it have to be formatted before installing the OS? I usually hook it up to a port, computer management, format drive, etc.

Thanks

What OS?

Win 7 - No format, just straight install.

Other OSes - depends .

Coup27

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2010
Windows 7 install will take care of the formatting for him.
Yes it will, but it would also do the same for a HDD. You said that "an SSD is not like a HDD" but in fact they are exactly the same. They both require formatting before anything can be saved to them which is contrary to what you originally said.

Nov 26, 2005
I just wanted to know if I was going to needlessly wear the drive. I always do a full format before any OS instillation (HDD & SSD,) I haven't done anything yet and was just curious.

Coup27

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2010
Do not do a full format on an SSD. It is pointless in every respect. Quick formats are fine and if you wanted to use your SSD as a storage device then it is essential as formatting puts a file system on the SSD to allow you to store stuff on it.

When you are in the Windows 7 installer if the SSD is empty (unallocated), pressing install will automatically create the default 100MB system partition and then a second partition with the rest of the remaining space. Both partitions will get automatically quick formatted with NTFS and both will be aligned optimally to an SSD.

If you wanted more than the traditional single user accessible partition, you can use the partition editor during the installer to make as many partitions as you want. These partitions will need formatting in the editor before you can use them. Using the format option within the editor performs a quick format on the partition with the NTFS file system.

MrX8503

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2005
Yes it will, but it would also do the same for a HDD. You said that "an SSD is not like a HDD" but in fact they are exactly the same. They both require formatting before anything can be saved to them which is contrary to what you originally said.

Not the same referencing that you shouldn't do the same things to an SSD as you would/could with an HDD.

I assumed the OP meant full format (which he did), which would needlessly wear out his SSD.

Old Hippie

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2005
I assumed the OP meant full format (which he did), which would needlessly wear out his SSD.
LOL!

Where do you guys get this MISinformation?

A full format when needed is not going to hurt anything.