French kick Sarkozy to the curb - Hollande to tax rich at 75%

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
The EU will not keep Europe from another war. Why? Because there is not a country in Europe or the world for that matter, that likes France. Everyone to include Americans just want to find a Frog and punch them in the face. They are that irritating.

I like the French, but Parisians get on my nerves. If anything war will be between Germany and other EU states as Germany basically runs Europe now. Hello 4th Reich.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
But it's not the greedy American worker that wants $30/hr and retirment with full medical and pension at 50 for turning a few screws into a car frame that is to blame?

I'd suggest you try it before making that sort of inane judgment. There's not much gravy in assembly line jobs- mostly, they work their asses off.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Just like the US dollar, the intent of the Euro is to simplify trade. Can you imagine all 50 US states having their own currency? That's what Europe had. French francs, German marks, Italian lira, etc.

the intent was endless creep to removing sovereignty, they went way past trade long ago. now its just a whole lot of meddling in each countries internal affairs. lots of weird protectionism as well.

simplifying trade would have meant first adopting a single language, but that would have been too obvious.

if it had really just been about free trade it would have been a sensible project.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
the intent was endless creep to removing sovereignty, they went way past trade long ago. now its just a whole lot of meddling in each countries internal affairs. lots of weird protectionism as well.

simplifying trade would have meant first adopting a single language, but that would have been too obvious.

if it had really just been about free trade it would have been a sensible project.

You're not thinking of the big picture. The intent of the Euro, the EU, etc. is to rekindle the dream of empire.

PingviN

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2009
Unless I'm mistaken France uses marginal tax rates...
http://www.lost-in-france.com/living-in-france/finance/810-french-tax-system

If that's the case the wealthy won't pay and overall average tax rate of 75% on all of their income. On the first fractions of their income that are the same as the income of a typical citizen of France they'll pay the same rate of tax... it is the income over and above that is taxed at increasingly higher rates. If they earn enough the last portion of their income over a certain amount will be taxed at 75%

http://www.ehow.com/how_6196933_explain-marginal-tax-rates.html

A brief overview...

Yes, only the income exceeding one million Euros would be taxed at 75%. That wont generate much tax income for the state, so it's safe to say it's a symbolic tax.

Apr 27, 2012
The people of France haven't learned anything. They have to cut spending otherwise they will destroy the country

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The people of France haven't learned anything. They have to cut spending otherwise they will destroy the country

Why?

Their government expenditures as a percentage of GDP are roughly in line with a number of very prosperous nations. You might wish them to cut government spending as a policy preference, but the idea that their country will be destroyed without it is absurd.

Apr 27, 2012
Why?

Their government expenditures as a percentage of GDP are roughly in line with a number of very prosperous nations. You might wish them to cut government spending as a policy preference, but the idea that their country will be destroyed without it is absurd.

Hollande has pledged to increase spending and run up the debt in order to fix the economy, except that wont work, the debt will go up and spending will go up and if they dont make changes they will be destroyed

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
Hollande has pledged to increase spending and run up the debt in order to fix the economy, except that wont work, the debt will go up and spending will go up and if they dont make changes they will be destroyed

You do know that China is running up spending and debt to keep the economy humming... and guess what... it works.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
You do know that China is running up spending and debt to keep the economy humming... and guess what... it works.

China is creating private industry, manufacturing and the like. Such private sectors jobs will pay for themselves keep on going like the energizer bunny. Pay to start them up and they pay for themselves thereafter, meaning a long stream of revenue going back to the govt from taxes.

Europe's, or France's in particular, are welfare type spending (unemployment, pensions at an early age etc.). It doesn't pay for itself like the private sector jobs that China is creating. It's not just that debt is important, but why/how you're incurring that debt.

I'll take a million $'s in debt to build a factory or a million $'s in debt to buy food and clothes and the like any day.

Fern

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Well I'm convinced! I like how you responded to the simple fact that other quite prosperous countries have governments that spend the same amount with nothing more than continued ranting.

And you wonder why you aren't taken seriously? Then again facts have a well known liberal bias.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
China is creating private industry, manufacturing and the like. Such private sectors jobs will pay for themselves keep on going like the energizer bunny. Pay to start them up and they pay for themselves thereafter, meaning a long stream of revenue going back to the govt from taxes.

Europe's, or France's in particular, are welfare type spending (unemployment, pensions at an early age etc.). It doesn't pay for itself like the private sector jobs that China is creating. It's not just that debt is important, but why/how you're incurring that debt.

I'll take a million $'s in debt to build a factory or a million $'s in debt to buy food and clothes and the like any day.

Fern

So you're agreeing that the government can create jobs?

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
So you're agreeing that the government can create jobs?

Yeah, the Chinese govt. But China is much different than us. From what I understand they are subsidizing private industry. I've read that the govt (the military) actually owns many of the businesses. They also seem much better at it than our govt, from what I can tell from our few examples.

It doesn't necessarily matter where the money comes from to create factories etc. It's of no import to the company's profit making ability that the money (capital) come from bank loans, shareholders or the govt. Capital is capital.

Fern

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Well I'm convinced! I like how you responded to the simple fact that other quite prosperous countries have governments that spend the same amount with nothing more than continued ranting.

And you wonder why you aren't taken seriously? Then again facts have a well known liberal bias.

You understand you're arguing with what is likely a parody account right?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
You understand you're arguing with what is likely a parody account right?

Oh, I guess I missed that memo. In all fairness on here I've thought a number of accounts were parody ones that turned out to be real. haha.

Pneumothorax

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2002
And what if its citizens need to be protected from themselves?

That's the root of the problem. All this government cuddling is very anti-Darwin and weakens the 'herd' by taking away natural selection. Compare domesticated animals which are cuddled with free food and housing until their slaughtered. Dumb as nails, right? Whilst their 'wild' cousins have had to compete and work for their food, therefore have had to keep some intelligence. We've made it easier to be stupid and get free food and housing and look where it's gotten us. For example, look what bofa just announced, anyone who was dumb (or smart lol) enough to buy too much house, refi their house ,cashed out, or got a low interest arm that now has re-adjusted is now going to have their principal reduced to affordable levels. Btw, you also have to be 2 months behind in payments. Whilst the rest of us who've never missed a payment and severely upside down get nothing. I know all about the bailout shens that the banksters got, but this is just as bad.

Last edited:

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
That's the root of the problem. All this government cuddling is very anti-Darwin and weakens the 'herd' by taking away natural selection. Compare domesticated animals which are cuddled with free food and housing until their slaughtered. Dumb as nails, right? Whilst their 'wild' cousins have had to compete and work for their food, therefore have had to keep some intelligence. We've made it easier to be stupid and get free food and housing and look where it's gotten us. For example, look what bofa just announced, anyone who was dumb (or smart lol) enough to buy too much house, refi their house ,cashed out, or got a low interest arm that now has re-adjusted is now going to have their principal reduced to affordable levels. Btw, you also have to be 2 months behind in payments. Whilst the rest of us who've never missed a payment and severely upside down get nothing. I know all about the bailout shens that the banksters got, but this is just as bad.

Except the banks had to pay their bailout back (because it was a loan). And if they dont pay it back the FDIC sells them off to their competitors.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Oh, I guess I missed that memo. In all fairness on here I've thought a number of accounts were parody ones that turned out to be real. haha.

I'm just assuming it, the way some of the posters comments are made. Parody or Trolling, it's basically the same...

Chuck

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2245242

Is that lulz as well?

Face it, there's a breed of international capitalists who have zero interest in contributing to the countries that provide the foundation of their wealth. It's not about France or America. It's about wanting to make money in these countries but not wanting to give anything back. Instead of trying to race each other to the bottom countries should be either cooperating to tax them evenly or at least set up systems that don't allow them to evade their responsibility.

Albatross

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2001
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2245242

Is that lulz as well?

Face it, there's a breed of international capitalists who have zero interest in contributing to the countries that provide the foundation of their wealth. It's not about France or America. It's about wanting to make money in these countries but not wanting to give anything back. Instead of trying to race each other to the bottom countries should be either cooperating to tax them evenly or at least set up systems that don't allow them to evade their responsibility.

That`s true,but rich people own the government in any country and that`s the nature of capital,to roam for opportunities.
No government in the world can stop the tsunami of globalization,at least not without falling into autarchy.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
I living/working there when establishing the EU was being discussed. Nobody was talking war.

I'm pretty sure it's primary purpose was to make doing business easier among the EU countries.

Back then, every transaction between companies in different EU countries had to deal with currency exchanges and contracts had to created to deal fluctuating rates for future payments etc. It was a PITA.

Fern

check your history, the EU grew out of the European Community of Coal and Steel that was started in 1951. The idea was to integrate the most important industries between France and Germany so much that a war would be impossible. So yes, it started as a ever lasting peace initiative, that was one of the main reasons