French Basher fired by his newspaper

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Writer fired after blasting French war coverage

PARIS, France - Reporter Alain Hertoghe?s book accused the French press of not being objective in its coverage of the U.S.-led war in Iraq. His newspaper fired him.

The book, ?La Guerre a Outrances? (The War of Outrages), criticizes the French reporting for continually predicting the war would end badly for the U.S.-led coalition.

?Readers can?t understand why the Americans won the war,? Hertoghe said in a telephone interview. ?The French press wasn?t neutral.?

Kind of says "Duh" to me, but maybe there are those who thought the French press was unbiased ;)

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Freedom of speech not freedom from consequense. Right.

Or at least that's what you guys said about clear channel for nixing the chicks.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
the leftist Liberation and the regional daily Ouest-France, which has the largest circulation in France.

I'm seriously thinking of moving to the south of france after I retire now. Left-libertarian? most popular? sheet/ Just the opposite of the crass police nanny state we have become.

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: Zebo
the leftist Liberation and the regional daily Ouest-France, which has the largest circulation in France.

I'm seriously thinking of moving to the south of france after I retire now.

...just be careful in the summer months, as your risk of death increases with age in France during times of increased heat. They don't really have a good system in place to address the needs of the elderly, or simply elect not to (in an effort to balance the budget shortfalls that accompany socialized medicine?).

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Freedom of speech not freedom from consequense. Right.

Or at least that's what you guys said about clear channel for nixing the chicks.

Sure, they had every right to fire him. Of course, they probably shouldn't traipse around claiming to be unbiased.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Are you sure you're not making to big a deal about that? Hav'nt followed it cause I fiqure it's your responsiblity to install A/C in your own home.

Jan 12, 2003
Are you sure you're not making to big a deal about that? Hav'nt followed it cause I fiqure it's your responsiblity to install A/C in your own home.

..tell that to the 15,000 grandmothers and grandfathers who didn't have the disposable income to afford such luxuries.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000

I'm seriously thinking of moving to the south of france after I retire now. Left-libertarian? most popular? sheet/ Just the opposite of the crass police nanny state we have become
No, Zebo, it's the Leftist paper named "Liberation". It is the Governments responsibility to make sure everyone is safe and cozy. You should know that leftist and libertarian don't co-mingle very well, except when it comes to smoking dope ;)

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx

...just be careful in the summer months, as your risk of death increases with age in France during times of increased heat. They don't really have a good system in place to address the needs of the elderly, or simply elect not to (in an effort to balance the budget shortfalls that accompany socialized medicine?).

where is your rant on Blair being responsible for all those deaths in the UK? or... do you have an agenda with the french?

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: Czar

where is your rant on Blair being responsible for all those deaths in the UK? or... do you have an agenda with the french?

I am still looking for information on it...actions taken by the government; previous data; warnings issued, et al...if you have more info, by all means, please provide.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: alchemize

I'm seriously thinking of moving to the south of france after I retire now. Left-libertarian? most popular? sheet/ Just the opposite of the crass police nanny state we have become
No, Zebo, it's the Leftist paper named "Liberation". It is the Governments responsibility to make sure everyone is safe and cozy. You should know that leftist and libertarian don't co-mingle very well, except when it comes to smoking dope ;)

Sure it does. I can't find the political "where are you" chart often posted hear but maybe you remeber it. Basically it had an X and a Y axis. along the x went authoritarian to libertarian. While the Y axis had Left to right.

anyway Ghandi was left-libertarian, Hitler was right/authoritarian, Stalin was left/autoritarian and I forgot who was Right/libertarian....

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: alchemize

Sure it does. I can't find the political "where are you" chart often posted hear but maybe you remeber it. Basically it had an X and a Y axis. along the x went authoritarian to libertarian. While the Y axis had Left to right.

anyway Ghandi was left-libertarian, Hitler was right/authoritarian, Stalin was left/autoritarian and I forgot who was Right/libertarian....

See! Only Ghandi could pull it off :p The French sure couldn't!

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Intolerance from a Christian paper -- how ironic!

Incidentally, Liberation is not only "leftist", it's actually (literally) Communist from what I recall.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Jesus, the heat wave was caused by Republican failure to regulate SUVs, so actually you're directly responsible for all that death yourself.

B00ne

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001

They live longer than you anyway - on average ;)