Freevo (software TiVO)

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Anyone played with Freevo yet?? It's an open source project that works on any distribution of linux.

It still has a way to go but definitely looks promising.

I'll have to wait until I can build a new box for it. I want a dedicated computer setup as a PVR, but I want to do it right (quiet and not an ugly beige box).

Packy

Platinum Member
Mar 8, 2001
Damn, that interface is exactly the kind I'm looking for, but I don't really want to do a Linux install :p ... I'm currently looking for the best PVR software for Windows XP. So far I'm considering:

Main Lobby
ShowShifter
SnapStream (I have yet to get the trial ver. to work though, plus it's buggy)
ATI MMC (problem is, I got my AIW in the forums and I don't have the CD, so no Gemstar Guide+ to get listings and make schedules)
WinDVR
PowerVCR II
MSDVR
ATV2000

[edit] I found another Linux TiVO-like software package called MythTV, which looks AMAZING, and is probably the closest thing I've seen to a TiVO-like GUI on the PC.

Are there any I'm missing? I'm really looking for one that has an EPG (electronic programming guide) built in. :)

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
I'm thinking a microATX system 1600+ AMD XP, Redhat (or any other distribution of linux). An ATi All in wonder (doesn't even have to be the latest and greatest since 3D gaming is not the object here) and FreeVo.

But dude, that Main Lobby you posted looks sweet as hell. I might have to consider the same hardware with win2000 or XP and Main Lobby.

Regardless. I dont have a spare box for this project yet and it will take something a little higher end than I usually have "laying around"

Again Packy, thanks for the links. I've used SHowShifter before, but I think it still has a way to go before it's ready for prime-time, but this Main Lobby looks pretty good. I'll have to check it out.

Packy

Platinum Member
Mar 8, 2001
I'm glad the links were helpful :) I'm also glad you posted the freevo link or I would have never found out about MythTV. I think I'm tempted to try the ATI MMC + Gemstar GuidePlus, since I found an old disc around that had the software. If it's ugly, I may switch to showshifter, since it still has an EPG, a MUST-HAVE feature.

Right now the PVR system I have is lower-end but solid.

Duron 900
256mb ram
Maxtor 80gb 7200
ATI AIW 128
SB Live!
ECS K7S5A mobo... originally I got a K7SEM, but I found out I had to use Nvidia AGP cards in it, so I swapped the K7S5A out of my main machine to use in my HTPC. My HTPC is living in an old ATX case, but since I'm going to use a RF keyboard/mouse combo (Globlink, from Newegg), I figure I can hide where I want.

I'm tempted to switch the motherboards back and use the built-in video of the K7SEM plus, say, a Leadtek TV200xp, since then I'd have a remote control and probably better TV quality. I'm not sure though.

I've been rooting around rage3d and avsforums for other PVR software and solutions, but the ones I listed are all I've come across. That is, the only options that are mildly affordable.

:D