Free Windows Vista Anti Virus

leeland

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2000
I don't have Vista yet...however a good friend who is not to tech savvy bought a computer from WORST BUY...and the jerk stores their loaded him down with seriously 200 + dollars of garbage software that is "essential" otherwise his computer will be infected and hacked.

GOD I want to beat their asses if they do this to every person that purchases a computer there.

SOOO...I told my friend to take that crap back, save some money and I will find him an anti-virus software that is like the AOL virus software for XP (NOT sure if that is available for Vista yet)....

Any recommendations is appreciated.

Leeland

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
Start with the fundamentals: get him set up with a non-Admin user account and make sure he knows to leave UAC enabled.

Also, since this topic is probably a better fit for either Security or Windows/PC Software, instead of Operating Systems, it's being transplanted to Security. Sorry for any inconvenience!

AnandTech Moderator
mechBgon

leeland

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2000
Ah Thanks Mech...for moving the topic. I didn't even see that category.

I will be working on his PC tonight so if anyone can help a brother out I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
leeland

leeland

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2000
Thanks Schandenfroh...I just found the post that lists that Active Virus Shield is Vista Compatible now...it wasn't last time I checked so i will go that route with him as I use it currently on my XP machine and really like it.