Free Pledge of Allegiance Bumper Sticker!

TekDemon

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2001
umm isn't this more of a free religious brainwasher sticker deal than a pledge of allegiance sticker? I mean it's "I pledge allegiance, to the flag, of the United States of America, and to the republic, for which it stands, one nation, under God...." not the truncated version that completely leaves out the United States, and the flag, and the republic....

So this is not a hot deal for the Pledge of Allegiance, only a hot deal if you feel like getting more spam from this religious group.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
The bumper sticker reads: "I proudly pledge allegiance to one nation under God. The 700 Club"

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
Isn't that the whole issue about the pledge???? As far as the 700 club part is concerned, it is located at the bottom of the sticker, which can be cut off.

"The moral majority is neither" - that's a bumper sticker I remember from my grad school days at Cornell.

FeathersMcGraw

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2001
Originally posted by: allisolm
The bumper sticker reads: "I proudly pledge allegiance to one nation under God. The 700 Club"

And it doesn't say which nation! The 700 Club is trying to turn us all into Senegalese!

tomasz

Mar 8, 2000
So anybody got a link to cheap/free bumper stickers with the original version?

John T.

Scyber

Dec 10, 1999
Originally posted by: tomasz
So anybody got a link to cheap/free bumper stickers with the original version?

John T.

Depends what you consider the original version. The version written in 1892 by a school teacher, the modified in 1924 by congress, the one modified to add the words "under God" in 1954, or the one that may or may not be the result of the recent judges ruling?

-Scyber

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
my signature is how is was originally envisioned. Sadly, equality was stricken and religious zealots afraid of communism forced "under god" on us in '54.

Piblokto

Jan 15, 2001
Yeah, the 1954 addition of "under God" resulted from intense lobbying campaign by the Knights of Columbus, a religious group. They thought the addition was important because of the "red scare" sweeping the country (McCarthyism, conformity, the whole 1950s thing) and the "under God" would clearly reject the heathen communist lifestyle.

It's ironic how much of the American public reacted against the recent court decision. If a religious group tried to modify the pledge today, or some other iconic symbol of the U.S., I suspect a significant majority of us would react vehemently against that.

BTW, I'm not anti-religion, and I'm not trying to fan a flame war. Just noting the irony here.

BCompDude

Jul 30, 2001
Our nation was based on "God". Ever see. . ."In God We Trust"? Look at some of the money in your billfold. Or how about taking an oath on a bible? What, is that going to be ruled "unconstitutional" now too? Its really ridiculous.

BCompDude

Jul 30, 2001
Or how about the Star Spangled Banner? Should that not be played anymore? Why do I mention this?

"Blest with victory and peace, may the heaven-rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust." "

Like I said above, our nation was founded on God, if you don't like it. . .well thats the great thing about this country, you don't have to. Seriously, where does it stop? I reiterate: This is ridiculous. (Referring to the "we can't have God in our lives, its unconsitutional")

badluck

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2001
Our nation was based on "God". Ever see. . ."In God We Trust"? Look at some of the money in your billfold. Or how about taking an oath on a bible? What, is that going to be ruled "unconstitutional" now too? Its really ridiculous.

Our nation was founded on slavery as well, do you think we needed to stick with that as well? As far as the money is concerned, it will be changed one day soon....I would never take an oath on some bible, and I couldn't be forced to either. Religious people might still be the majority, but in my lifetime that will change. I can't wait.

JoeBaD

Banned
May 24, 2000
Take your atheistist and/or separatist bullshait to OT. If you don't like the deal STFU!!!!

BCompDude

Jul 30, 2001
Well, I found some more interesting info. . .

1. The DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE served a great purpose during the struggle to establish the nation. It refers to "nature's God", "their Creator", "Supreme Judge of the world", and "Divine Providence.

2. The ARTICLES OF CONFEDERATION acknowledged GOD with the words "great Governor of the World".

3. The constitution of every state of the United States of America acknowledges GOD.

I feel very sad that you feel that way Mr. "Badluck". I for one think this is a great hot deal! Thanks for the link yellowfiero. Heres a bump so that everyone may get an opportunity to take part of this deal.

SKiller

Oct 10, 1999
This was posted so many times that I'll just quote it and save myself some typing.
It must be remembered that The Founding Fathers did NOT put "under God" in the Pledge of
Allegiance or "In God We Trust" on U.S. currency. "Under God" was added to the Pledge by an act of
Congress in 1954, during the McCarthy "communist witch hunt" hysteria. "In God We Trust" began to
appear on coins in 1864 and became the official motto of the United States only in 1956. [The
motto conceived by the Founding Fathers was "E Pluribus Unum" (Out of Many, One).]

BTW, there's nothing wrong with this deal, but the title is misleading.

Justus

Sep 21, 2000
Seems like this bumper sticker is a fine demonstration of our religious liberty. However, the separation of state and religion, which is clearly stated in the Bill of Rights, part of the Constitution, is something that strict constitutional constructionists need to remember to apply consistently. Our nation was formed at a time when religious persecution was widespread. Religious freedom is not based on majority vote, but is a right enjoyed by all, including those in the minority.

As a historical note, many of our nations' founders who expressed their belief in God were Deiests (as in Deus ex Machina), not to be confused with Christians. Their God was not the God of those in the 700 Club.

JahWren

Dec 31, 2000
As a historical note, many of our nations' founders who expressed their belief in God were Deiests (as in Deus ex Machina)

You were doing excellent until you got to that part and made me bust a gut. Deism is definitely not about a hackneyed plot device that authors use when they've written the story into a corner and can't think of a way to continue the story without resorting to some outside force to fix things up.

But you are right, the God of the founding fathers has very little in common with the God of the 700 club, if anything the 700 club is big on the Deus ex Machina concept with all their focus on a God that pops in an meddles with human affairs, subtley or not.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
everything should be free. Money is now deemed unconstitutional since it has "in god we trust" plastered all over it. Just heard in on cnn.

Justus

Sep 21, 2000
Jah Wren,

Didn't mean for you to require abdominal surgery. I'm not one for understanding literary devices, and my reference to Deus ex Machina proves this point (google set me straight, a "godsend" for dilitantes like me). I really meant to refer to the Divine Clockmaker, who set it all in motion way back when, and then stood aside. Not much room for divine intervention in that scheme (or the Bible, for that matter). They called it the Age of Enlightenment, but others might not agree.