Free partition utility for NTFS 5? (was: Gaa... screwed up MBR!)

IcemanJer

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2001
Dammit... was copying partitions back and forth, and inadvertantly overwritten the MBR of the HDD with all of my data on it. Sh!t sh!t sh!t sh!t.......

anyone know a way to recreate the MBR into a file and I can overwrite back into the HDD?

edit: fixed, now need to move partitions around the RIGHT way..

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
Originally posted by: IcemanJer
anyone know a way to recreate the MBR into a file and I can overwrite back into the HDD?

format c: /mbr ???

just a thought...

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
this is on Win2K / XP tho..

In Microsoft Windows XP Professional, you can perform most disk administrative tasks, both local and remote, by using the Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-in tool called Disk Management, which can be used to convert disks, as well as format current partitions and unallocated space. You can also check on the status of fixed and removable disks and their associated properties.

To open the Disk Management MMC, you can select Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Manage, which will open the Computer Management MMC. Under the Storage icon, click Disk Management to open the Disk Management MMC.

You can also type compmgmt.msc in the RUN box or from a command line to launch the Computer Management MMC.

If that doesn't work... try FIXMBR

FORMAT: fixmbr device name

Use this command to repair the master boot record (MBR) of the boot partition. In the command syntax, device name is an optional device name that specifies the device that needs a new MBR. Use this command if a virus has damaged the MBR and Windows cannot start.

WARNING: This command can damage your partition tables if a virus is present or a hardware problem exists. Using this command can result in inaccessible partitions. Microsoft recommends that you run antivirus software before you use this command.

You can obtain the device name from the output of the map command. If you do not specify a device name, the MBR of the boot device is repaired, for example:
fixmbr \device\harddisk2
If FIXMBR detects an invalid or non-standard partition table signature, FIXMBR prompts you for permission before rewriting the MBR. FIXMBR is supported only on x86-based computers.

IcemanJer

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2001
yes yes, I knew that. my problem is that the MBR on one of my HDD was replaced. I need to find out the physical partition table (as oppose to what's in sector 0 right now), create a MBR image from the physical table, and write that back into sector 0.

IcemanJer

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2001
haha... success!
borrowed my buddy's new HDD, created partitions that resembles what mine looked like before, saved the MBR to a file and used that to overwrite my screwed up MBR.

sweeeeeeeeet.... :D

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
haha... success! borrowed my buddy's new HDD, created partitions that resembles what mine looked like before, saved the MBR to a file and used that to overwrite my screwed up MBR. sweeeeeeeeet.... :D

Nice job. :)

In the future you can backup/restore your mbr using a floppy or another sector with mbrtool (free).

IcemanJer

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2001
cool, thanks jjsole. :)

on second thought, anyone know a free utility that can resize, move, and copy NTFS 5 partition?
(yeah so I'm cheap and don't want to pay the $70 for PartitionMagic...)