free or trial versions of windows

jgamer578

Dec 24, 2013
hi im studying for the comptia a+ exams and i want to familiarize myself with all versions of windows in use today (namely windows xp, windows vista, windows 7, and windows 8.) is there any way to use a trial version or a free version of these operating systems?

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
You can install windows for 30 days before activating it. I believe that most modern versions of Windows allow you to "rearm" twice, giving you up to 120 days. Google "rearm windows."

I'm not sure about XP...it's been a long time since I had that installed.

james1701

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2007
Are you a student? If so, register with Dream Spark and you get the full OS for free.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Are you a student? If so, register with Dream Spark and you get the full OS for free.
Furthermore if he's a student then his school likely has MSDNAA, so he can pick up copies of Windows through that too.

joseph0042

Jan 24, 2012
Yeah check with your IT department, many schools are registered for MSDNAA and give free (well you pay for it with your tuition) accounts to students for their classes.

grss1982

Mar 11, 2012
You can install windows for 30 days before activating it. I believe that most modern versions of Windows allow you to "rearm" twice, giving you up to 120 days. Google "rearm windows."

I'm not sure about XP...it's been a long time since I had that installed.

Only applicable to Windows Vista and 7. In Windows 8 you need to punch in a key at the very start of the installation and there's not option to activate later.

@OP: As for Windows 8 you can still download the Windows 8 Enterprise version, IIRC.

stinger608

Mar 6, 2009
In Windows 8 you need to punch in a key at the very start of the installation and there's not option to activate later.

Yea there is a way to change product key and/or activate later on:

1. Launch the Start Menu and type in command prompt or cmd so that it shows up on your start menu search list. Right click on the Command Prompt shortcut and select Run As Administrator.

2. At the administrator command prompt, type in "slmgr.vbs -ipk <insert your product key here>"

slmgr.vbs -ipk 00000-00000-00000-00000-00000

3. To activate windows after changing the key, run "slmgr.vbs -ato"

rtrt

Dec 1, 2013
Thank you ViRGE.

I have Windows 8 on a small desktop, will upgrade it to 8.1 soon. I like it enough that i'd like to dual boot my macbook too, but the pricing i've found so far is very high.

The version I have I bought from MS when they had their offer around Windows 8 launchtime and I paid a lot less - iirc i paid around £30-35. If I knew then what I know now i'd have bought 2 or 3 copies!

Any suggestions - for example do MS have a time during the year when they run offers that I should wait for?

Last edited:

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Any suggestions - for example do MS have a time during the year when they run offers that I should wait for?
Nope. That was basically a one-time offer.:(

rtrt

Dec 1, 2013
ok thank you - feared as much.

might just move windows 8 to the laptop and play around with linux on the desktop instead.