*FREE* OFFICE SUITE MICROSOFT COMPATIBLE!

adig

Nov 24, 2001
Get your free Microsoft Office compatible office suite at OpenOffice! This is the open source version of Sun Microsystem's Staroffice suite.

Adi.

-------------------- Features from Open office Website

OpenOffice.org Features
-Nick Richards

April 30, 2002

Introduction
What's in OpenOffice.org? What does it do? This page seeks to provide a brief synopsis of the features of OpenOffice.org. For more information on updates, you should go to the current Release Notes, or the 'What's New In OpenOffice.org 1.0' document that can be accessed from Download Central.

First, let's clear up some major misunderstandings:

OpenOffice.org 1.0 prints, saves to PDF (*) , has an online help, and does have a working spellchecker with many available dictionaries. Having said that, let's detail some of the major features:

(*) Under UNIX based systems where spadmin, the printers administration program, uses ghostscript, ps2pdf, etc.

The Entire Suite
Native XML file format for small, yet powerful documents.

The powerful OpenOffice.org API allows you to create external functions to leverage the power of the suite just how you need it.

Ability to import many different types of documents and templates from a range of other programs.

Ability to export to a huge range of formats from HTML to MS Office XP

Functionality to import address book from Mozilla/ Netscape 6.x or LDAP

Unicode support, allows more than 15 localisations of OpenOffice.org to be available.

Vastly enhanced printing capabilities and options.

Autopilot guides you through creating complex document, clearly.

WRITER
Direct connection with external email software to seamlessly send your documents worldwide.

The Stylist allows you to change the entire look of your document instantly.

Form-letter management to send letters to addresses in a database.

Compare changes and work collaboratively using the Versions system.

AutoCorrect word completion speeds up your writing in a non-obtrusive and powerful way.

Indexing and Bibliographic functions make moving around inside a document easy.

Sophisticated layout manager that allows you to display everything you want simply and clearly.

CALC
Create StarBASIC macros or sophisticated Add-In functions in Java or C/C++ using the OpenOffice.org API.

Import and manipulate information from external sources (such as ODBC or JDBC databases) or other OpenOffice.org programs using DataPilot.

Natural language formulas.

Combine the contents of cells from several sheets with data consolidation.

Scenario manager to perform what-if-when analysis.

Charting tools to visualise data in 2D or 3D.

DRAW
FontWork allows you shape text for an extra effect.

Quick and easy creation of complex 3D shapes.

Bezier curves, for realistic smooth curves.

Eyedropper to change any pixel color into another

Raster tools and effects.

IMPRESS
Exploits all the effects and graphics tools from Draw

AutoPilot helps you get your ideas down just how you want them.

AutoLayout makes sure your presentations look professional.

A number of slide effects add an extra spark to your presentation.

--------

upwardspiral

Apr 16, 2002
server response =

"Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /static-hack/www-index.html on this server."

MontyBurns

Platinum Member
Feb 29, 2000
Site won't load for me either.

But why is this better than just downloading StarOffice from Sun?

alm4rr

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
this was just posted on slashdot as its the milestone version 1 release. dont expect to get it for a bit cuz its getting really hammered

check out abiword at www.abisource.com and u can dl star office at www.staroffice.com for free (fake registration reqd)

Gilby

May 12, 2001
Openoffice is, and will continue to be, free.

Staroffice will be based off of Openoffice and will run, IIRC, $45.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Ewwwwww.....choppy, buggy, crash prone.....not good. It once corrected a letter I was sending from "a case of pencils is on order" to "a case of penis is on order". Definately re-read your documents that you create with it :D

CyberZenn

Jul 10, 2001
if you are looking for an MS office compatible (and free) suite i throw my vote in for 602 pc suite. Its got a word processor and excel like program and both save in the native office formats. Small DL and they run fast. Try it out here:
http://www.software602.com/download/

RandomCoil

Feb 22, 2000

<< .choppy, buggy, crash prone >>

Wait, isn't that MS Office? Seriously though, if you haven't tried it recently, give it another shot. I've had no problems using the 641 version (pre-1.0 release) and I've dealt with some fairly complicated text and spreadsheet documents. It even opened a lengthy, image-filled powerpoint presentation without any problems.

As a particularly bright note, OpenOffice does not support macro viruses... and it's free.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Not really a deal if you ask me, open source stuff has always been free ...

anyway ill stick of ms office, it works good and i have no reason to change.

takhyon

Nov 28, 2000
I think it's a hot deal, especially considering that it's an office suite.

The Spain link works fine too.

solo

Oct 9, 2001
It doesn't have an Outlook counterpart. That's about all I use MS Office XP for...

idgaf13

Oct 31, 2000
Link

The CD can be purchased for $0.99 +$1.50 shipping
Link is from openoffice.org web page they recommend these people as a retailer
others are also mentioned.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
I use 602pro. also free, and pretty good. THey also have a sweet E-mail server / fax server in the lan pack.

602pro

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000

<< It doesn't have an Outlook counterpart. That's about all I use MS Office XP for... >>

Oh man, I'm sorry

esoteric0

Jan 15, 2001

<< It doesn't have an Outlook counterpart. That's about all I use MS Office XP for... >>

run linux and get evolution. it's a great email/organizer app (oh, and it's completely FREE) and it's much more secure than outlook. iirc, it even plays nice with ms exchange.

solo

Oct 9, 2001
602pro looks pretty interesting. Anyone here have experience or opinion on it?

dimwit

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2000
This is not for for people to switch from MS Office to, it's for people who don't have MS Office in the first place. Unless you get it bundled, or get it on campus, Office is quiet expensive. Of course many on AT do have the juarez version of Office (among other things) apparently.

Jindan

Apr 10, 2000

<< This is not for for people to switch from MS Office to, it's for people who don't have MS Office in the first place. Unless you get it bundled, or get it on campus, Office is quiet expensive. Of course many on AT do have the juarez version of Office (among other things) apparently. >>

What is a juarez version?

tvarad

Golden Member
Jun 25, 2001
I hope software like this works out and the standards are taken out of Micro$oft's hands. We seem to be paying $$$s for junk software simply because they have the copyright on the software equivalent of the location of the cluth pedal, brake pedal and accelerator in a car. At the very least, there should be an expiry of copyright after a set period of time like in the case of drugs so that software become becomes cheaper, not costlier as in the case of MS. $40 billion in the bank attests to the fact that the consumer has been overcharged.