Free Norton Internet Security Suite for Comcast Customers

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Nice find and thanks.

Haven't used Norton since the bloated days but have heard really good things about the newer (2009 and 2010 versions).

Hard to pick between this, the new Avast, Avira, and MSE.

Macgyversite

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2002
Is this anything like Norton 360?

I have Comcast but am using, on a few of my pc's, the Mcafee bloatware.

If it is similar to 360. Then thats mighty nice of Comcast.

Oh wait Comcast is so overpriced but oh well. I hate Comcast but I love their speed/bandwidth. No competition in my area either. So I am stuck.

Last edited:

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
Nice find and thanks.

Haven't used Norton since the bloated days but have heard really good things about the newer (2009 and 2010 versions).

Hard to pick between this, the new Avast, Avira, and MSE.

I've dealt with the new versions of Norton on customer machines. Still a pain and still likes taking over and causing trouble. I'm still not impressed at all with it.

compman25

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2006
I've dealt with the new versions of Norton on customer machines. Still a pain and still likes taking over and causing trouble. I'm still not impressed at all with it.

Still likes taking over what and causes what kinds of problems?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
This is pretty hot. Their previous free McAfee was a bit on the bloated side. One of my clients is on Comcast and has that installed, and it takes literally about two minutes after XP boots to the desktop, before she can do anything with the machine or go online.

Norton is much better, IMHO. I don't know how the 2010 is, but the 2009 was excellent.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I got sick of McAfee and installed MS Security Essentials, which seems pretty low footprint and efficient. Haven't used Norton in a couple of years (the bloat got to me) but I've heard they mended their ways. Would switching to Norton be an "upgrade" over MS Security Essentials? One Win7 Home 64 bit box, one XP.

RedsB3

Sep 1, 2004
Figures they would offer it free after I just bought NIS 2010. I got a free trial on a recent computer I bought. The new version are much less bloated then they used to be and no 2 hour scan once a week like McAfee. It may not be the best, but it is better than McAfee IMO. The section that will remember your passwords and user name is a bonus too. I had a seperate program to remember all that crap. On a side note, I purchased it recently at OD when they had that buy tax software and Norton and get a $10 gift card and $30 back from Symantec. This is why I hate rebates. Got confirmation on the OD gift card, valid. Just today, I get an email that my Symantec rebate is invalid, reasons given: failed to return original confirmation email or failed to include UPC code or invalid UPC code. All of which is bogus. I have multiple copies of everything. So I contact them via Symantec Chat, which I guess is the only option given. Magically, when I confront them about it and complain that I have copies and everything was submitted, so that leaves an invalid UPC. I ask what the problem is, he replies if I have the correct one, send it in and they will reconsider. I reply that I already sent it in for NIS 2010 1 PC 1 year. He replies that since I am a valuable Symantec customer, they will make a one time exception and validate my rebate. I checked my rebate code about 5 minutes later and magically it is now valid and being processed. @#%&## rebates, this is why I swore off of them before, nothing but a huge PITA.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I ordered NIS 2010 too, but one was from Staples, with a SER for $40 (prepaid card), $30 AR, and one was from buy.com, about $38. Both were 3-user editions.

Status
Not open for further replies.