Free MMOs and games...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Back when it was subscription based, you could buy a lifetime account for $200. If you did, you'd never have to pay for a sub as long as the game existed. When it went f2p, the lifetime players now get 500 of the cash shop points each month for free since they are VIP but don't need to pay for a sub.

Yeah, I understand what a lifetime account is, but it just transitioned to a VIP. I had a 3 month plan earlier this year and I also got 500 pts/month. I still have a balance of around 2000 pts I think -- maybe I'll go back and spend them. :D First up is AoC, though -- I got a cheap 60 day game card and the expansion pack to keep me occupied.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
That is exactly what they are. They typically give access to the basic quests/areas/weapons but to go to other areas or get more advanced weapons, you might need to pay. LOTRO, for example, has quest packs for most areas so if you want to do the quests in a certain region, you'll likely have to buy the quest pack.

I just want myself, and everyone else, to pay their $14.99 a month for a great MMO game, and not run the risk of spending $50 per month in microtransactions.

Malladine

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
What do you mean? There are 3 kinds of accounts on LOTRO: Free, Premium, and VIP. Anyone who holds a subscription is a VIP, former subscribers or people who bought points at the store are Premium IIRC, and Free is for F2P players. There is a comparison chart on the differences, but I'm too lazy to search for it and link it.

There are those accounts types now sure, but PRE F2P there was a lifetime subscription option. $200 and no more monthly payments.

Thanks Gotham, that helps me decide. If they had shafted the lifetime subscribers I would have uninstalled and never looked back.

So you guys get lifetime VIP status instead?

I'm Premium and started on Vilya. I don't like the 5 gold cap...how difficult will that make things do you think? Also pissed me off to lose my lvl 35 warden...i hadn't bought Moria, but when they went F2P it became required in order to create the advanced classes. I guess they just wiped wardens/rks for anyone who didn't have it? Either that or I am using the wrong turbine account lol.

And when you say end game is reachable, you mean providing the expansions are purchased separately?

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I just want myself, and everyone else, to pay their $14.99 a month for a great MMO game, and not run the risk of spending $50 per month in microtransactions.

You know what? I agree 100% with you. I'd gladly pay $15/month for a great MMO but sadly, non exist.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
There are those accounts types now sure, but PRE F2P there was a lifetime subscription option. $200 and no more monthly payments.

Thanks Gotham, that helps me decide. If they had shafted the lifetime subscribers I would have uninstalled and never looked back.

So you guys get lifetime VIP status instead?

I'm Premium and started on Vilya. I don't like the 5 gold cap...how difficult will that make things do you think? Also pissed me off to lose my lvl 35 warden...i hadn't bought Moria, but when they went F2P it became required in order to create the advanced classes. I guess they just wiped wardens/rks for anyone who didn't have it? Either that or I am using the wrong turbine account lol.

And when you say end game is reachable, you mean providing the expansions are purchased separately?

Yup, we have lifetime VIP status for free, plus we still get the 500 points/month.

The 5 gold cap is annoying, but it's one of the cheaper things you can buy to remove it. I bought my friend a $10 750 point card at Target for part of his b-day present which gave him enough points to get rid of that plus other things.

If you buy the expansions, then yeah you'll be able to reach the end-game content and all that, plus it'll unlock the classes and etc. You can also just buy the quest packs, but that wont include the expansion classes.

Right now they have a special up for the Isengard expansion - the most expensive is $50 and it gives you 3 different colors of a cosmetic outfit (which looks pretty awesome), a horse w/3 matching colors for your outfit, 1000 turbine points, quest packs to get you through up to Isengard (the quest packs have you follow the fellowship), and a pocket item that gives you +25% mob xp until level 65. I'd buy it if I didn't have points saved up to use to buy the expansion :)

I don't think you'd actually lose your Warden, and you wouldn't have been able to make one unless you had the expansion anyways...so I'm guessing you're using the wrong account lol.

Malladine

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Hm, what the hell is my username then? :p

Glad to know they treated you well. That's actually a good deal, $99/yr for VIP and you have it for good

Coffinmaker

Sep 15, 2010
After playing Vindictus for a good 5 months, I got bored of it. Dungeon Fighter online is a great game and not grindy at all. It's got SNES graphics but the gameplay is so addicting. I'm level 35 and still don't have room for all the quests.

RisenZealot

Jun 8, 2011
I don't think all f2p mmo's are bad at all. I agree that the majority of them kind of suck but there is a handful of really great ones.

Runes of Magic is in my opinion the best f2p "fantasy" based mmo aside from maybe Lord of the Rings Online.

Outside of that there are a couple of shooter mmo's which are f2p and are pretty cool too. APB Reloaded is good, period. Personaly I could care less if one of the guys running the game is an ass. The fact is those kind of people are everywhere in this world and to avoid something that is fun to play just b/c of that one person is only hurting yourself not that person. My only knock on that game is there does seem to be more cheates and hackers in it then I've ever seen in another game.

Last but not least my current favorite game period, Global Agenda. That includes current favorite of f2p AND p2p games. It's 100% free to play and you never have to spend a dime if you don't want to. Sure leveling up is painfuly slow if you don't but lets get real here the game is an online shooter where you level by playing different game types against live humans. There have been multiple online shooters that were fun as hell and that people put thousands of hours into w/o even the ability to level period. No reason people couldn't enjoy this one.

I HIGHLY recomend people dl it on Steam as it is free to play. Also if you do chose to go Elite (a one time fee of $13.95) which gives you double experience, loot, coins and access to a player run AH message me and I can give you a code for 30% off that price.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I've tried a couple of free MMORPGs so far and out of them I like:

Allods Online (although, technically, I haven't played it since the past month)
Champions Online (the character customization alone I think is what makes the game)
Perfect World (superb character customization options)
Dungeon and Fighter (2D, beat-em' up style, but ultimately the controls turned me off)

And that's about it. I've recently tried the free version of World of WarCraft, made three characters to test out the builds, leveled them all three to Level 11, and then I proceeded to uninstall the game, just not for me. I thought that Lord of the Rings Online was half-decent, but the animations were turning me off completely, I just couldn't stand them, it reminded me of Oblivion and Morrowind, I tried to get past that anyway and couldn't, I don't know... I think it was the pace of the game, or simply put, the actual will to "invest more time" in "yet another F2P game that is hopefully good this time", it wasn't the case either. In Allods Online's case, I like the art-style, love the animations, the music, etc, but the quests are grinding parties, and the end-game content from Level 45+ is completely out of reach for the time I can put in similar games. Additionally, the runes system offers way too much advantages, it's one of those F2P games where the micro-transactions really do gimp up your character(s) compared to those who don't spend money towards such pluses. I do know that most, if not all micro-transaction based F2P's also do that, but Allods Online I believe rests on the throne when it comes to really showing it off in terms of clear advantages, shortcuts and powers.

With Champions Online, so far, I've created two accounts (Silver accounts, free) so that I could create four characters (since we're limited at two characters on a single Silver account, which I thought was one heck of an idiot type of limitation), and the character-creation phase alone is so fun that it already justifies giving it a try just for that part. As far as the game-play itself is concerned... it's "good enough", nothing jaw-dropping really, it's a solid game, enjoyable for most of it, it's "ok", what keeps me playing really is being able to create a unique character and immersing myself in "better", or rather in "more" role-play since I feel attached to my characters more than in any other similar games I've played so far. Additionally, being able to just enter a bar or go at a lounge and relax, looking at other players' characters, their costumes or just reading their sometimes very creative and complex descriptions/BIOs is worth it (for me anyway, I don't mind reading the equivalent of a novel for hours non-stop from reading the BIO of 50+ characters as they role-play around the bar).

If there is one universal negative point in the game so far, for me at least, is the combat system, or sometimes the physics, but just the combat pisses me off, it's clunky, awkward, and ALL enemies that I've encountered (my highest character is Level 26, max Level being 40) so far posses BOTH long-range and melee attacks, not to mention that ANYTHING that they throw at you, be it a chunk of rock, a Molotov cocktail, or even just a "straight" beam of light from their energy weapon is HOMING at you and will ALWAYS land on your feet WHATEVER you do and however you try kitting and moving and avoiding around like an idiot because really, there's no point in even moving at all. And that part of the combat system is what makes me spend 80% of my time at Club Caprice "role-playing" and reading character BIOs rather than actually questing and even PvP'ing around.

In the end however, even though I "appreciate" some F2P MMORPGs I have to say that none of them are really polished with the sole exception of World of WarCraft, it is certainly polished on a technical level, I can objectively give credits to that, the music is sublime (although Allods Online's OST really is something to hear, it does rival some of the best compositions I've heard in recent years of gaming)... but really, it's a SEVEN years-old game and I just couldn't get into it, animations turned me off but above all, the character creation phase is pathetic, which completely caught me off guard especially coming from a company like Blizzard. But other than WoW going F2P (with severe limitations, mind you) I can't really say that out of those I've played so far that I'm quite happy with any of them really, some are "decent" yes, for a time, but they usually get boring fast enough, and I do know myself enough to feel that right now I am "hyped" with Champions Online especially with the coming patch (tonight, in fact, as I type this) and the arrival of personal Hideouts, which will increase the potential for role-playing peeps around, including myself.

Last edited:

RisenZealot

Jun 8, 2011
Hey Zenoth dude I really think you should DL GLobal Agenda from Steam and give it a try. As I said it's free to play and by far has the best transaction system I've ever seen in a free to play game.

There is absolutely no advantages other then getting more coins and experience. In other words there is no item that players who play to play can get that you as a free player cannot get.

Also while the character creation isn't as in depth as Champions online itself it does have a greay customization system as you can buy numerous dye colors to personalize your armor however you want.

Last but not least my favorite part of the game is that EVERYTHING in your inventory is shared by ALL your characters. No more gridning the sme stuff over and over for multiple characters :)

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Hey Zenoth dude I really think you should DL GLobal Agenda from Steam and give it a try. As I said it's free to play and by far has the best transaction system I've ever seen in a free to play game.

There is absolutely no advantages other then getting more coins and experience. In other words there is no item that players who play to play can get that you as a free player cannot get.

Also while the character creation isn't as in depth as Champions online itself it does have a greay customization system as you can buy numerous dye colors to personalize your armor however you want.

Last but not least my favorite part of the game is that EVERYTHING in your inventory is shared by ALL your characters. No more gridning the sme stuff over and over for multiple characters :)

Yup thanks for the suggestion, I've had my eyes on that one for some time, I will surely give it a go eventually, but for the moment I'm giving the little spare time I have lately (due to my job, doing some over-time lately) for Champions Online and my in-progress campaign in the original The Witcher (from GoG.com). I will eventually give it a try, however.

That, and I also downloaded the on-line installers for two other F2P MMORPGs that I had often heard about but never tried yet, namely Dungeons & Dragons Online, and "Loong" I think is the name. That one is set in ancient China, it's 3D, fantasy-based and from what I've seen in the screenshots I could find of it the character creation phase seems to be quite varied, which is something I'm looking for in similar games. If I can't give a unique enough look to my character and just ends up looking like the 1K+ other Warriors or Mages around me in the map then it just turns me off completely UNLESS it's a single-player game in which case I can deal with it, for some reason (go figure that one).

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Guild Wars is awesome.

I've always wondered about guild wars, i looked it up briefly again this week because its on sale on steam, and half tempted to get it. still not really sure.

I have been playing Lotro since it went f2p and been liking it, guess im on a low pop server because I never had really seen alot of the trash/idiot talk people mention.

Had tried Runes of Magic long while back but never really go into it.

Last edited:

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
After putting 10K hours into WOW, I'm done with MMO's altogether.
Also. Most "free" games these days come heavy with micro-transactions. So in essence, it's not really free, if they want you to pay micro-transactions for a moderately optimal experience.

10k or did you mean 1k?

If 10k thats 416 solid days :eek: Thats dedication!

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I've always wondered about guild wars, i looked it up briefly again this week because its on sale on steam, and half tempted to get it. still not really sure.

The sale on GW only goes for a few more hours so you had better decide quickly. ;)

I picked up the Trilogy pack, I've always wanted to try it and $15 for all expansions plus no more fees or microtransactions is hard to beat.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
10k or did you mean 1k?

If 10k thats 416 solid days :eek: Thats dedication!

Hmm,

All Estimates:

Well if he played, say, 4 hours a day, which could be entirely possible if he raids a lot and genuinely enjoys the hell out of the game, then that would equate to 2496 days @ 4hr/day.

Considering the game has been out for around 7 years, that's 2555 days, so it's entirely possible, Hell even probable.

Break it down even further, and put in variable such as weekends and summers. It's possible to game 8 or so hours those days and still be able to do things during the day, so approx 730 of those days allow for 8 hr/day.

So, 2555 days with 730 @ 8hr/day = 5840 hrs
10000 - 5840 = 4160 hrs
4160/4 = 1040 days
1040 + 730 = 1770 days

So, estimating he plays about double on the weekend and during the summer, he could have easily gotten that amount of time in 1770 days, which is about 4.85 years out of the game's 7+ year lifetime.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
You know what? I agree 100% with you. I'd gladly pay $15/month for a great MMO but sadly, non exist.

Well, none may be great, but I think that the $15 per month model is what it needs to be. I firmly believe the gaming companies are envisioning a future where people spend hundreds of dollars per month on one game in microtransactions, and for that reason I think the community needs to be responsive to attempts to do that, and call out games and companies that take steps toward it. If we do not, the days of paying $5 for ammo in the middle of an FPS firefight, or $5 to recharge your healer's mana deep in a dungeon, and having to do this several times per day, are coming.

Malladine

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Well, none may be great, but I think that the $15 per month model is what it needs to be. I firmly believe the gaming companies are envisioning a future where people spend hundreds of dollars per month on one game in microtransactions, and for that reason I think the community needs to be responsive to attempts to do that, and call out games and companies that take steps toward it. If we do not, the days of paying $5 for ammo in the middle of an FPS firefight, or $5 to recharge your healer's mana deep in a dungeon, and having to do this several times per day, are coming.

great post. Maybe not hundreds on average per player, but they're certain to be hoping to break the $15/month mold with microtransactions. greed is greed afterall.

I actually just signed up for the regular 15/month for LOTRO. Screw micro transactions.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
great post. Maybe not hundreds on average per player, but they're certain to be hoping to break the $15/month mold with microtransactions. greed is greed afterall.

I actually just signed up for the regular 15/month for LOTRO. Screw micro transactions.

Since I can't remember where to find the link as support I will not mention the company's name but I recently listened to an audio of a company CEO talking to his stockholders(or the board, I don't know), and he was describing how he personally had spent 5000 "year to date" on microtransactions, and he also mentioned that in the middle of a firefight if they can charge to reload, the player isn't price conscious at that moment.

The writing is on the wall, people.

Hell, I played battletech solaris on AOL back in the 90s and they charged extra for that by hour. If I played that as much as I do modern MMOs, I'd have paid $100 per month easily. I was very pleased when Everquest launched at $10/month. History is repeating itself.

Last edited:

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
So i like tihs Akia game i've been playing. Not to grindy (only level 45 so far). But the PvP in it is awesome. HUGE battles in game to, the biggest i've "seen" was around 50 people. But they get larger..way larger.

Arglebargle

Dec 2, 2006
For those trying out the older MMOs gone freemium, you can get some great deals by picking up copies that have filtered down to the discount places. I picked up LoTRO, Mines of Moria, Age of Conan, Vanguard Delux, all under $3, when I was taking a break from my regular MMO. Got months of play out of this for next to nothing.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
For those trying out the older MMOs gone freemium, you can get some great deals by picking up copies that have filtered down to the discount places. I picked up LoTRO, Mines of Moria, Age of Conan, Vanguard Delux, all under $3, when I was taking a break from my regular MMO. Got months of play out of this for next to nothing.

Where'd you find these? I might get em for my buddy so that he can get the character classes for LOTRO.