Free: Mediochre Korean-based MMO - RF Online

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
I played RF Online last year for a bit when I had a free trial. It really was a laugh back then. It is (or at least was, haven't tried the new episode yet) a typical boilerplate Korean MMORPG game. The controls were very un-American and unintuitive and such... the graphics were okay. The only thing that kept me going for the month I played it was big friggin robots.

Anyway, I just got an email from Codemasters saying it's free to download and free to play, no monthly. Not sure what the catch is now - maybe micropayments or something, but there's no mention of it anywhere. As far as I can tell, it's 100% free now, which makes it almost worth the price.

Get your install key and links to downloads.

Warning, this isn't a small game - 1.5gb download. Anyway, free is good, no?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
if I give you a pile of dog shit for free, thats good? lol

i played tried it out awhile back also and it was horrible. i din't find the controls too bad but its your typical korean grindfest type mmorpg (or it was back then anyway). they probably made it F2P because no one wants to pay to play a crappy game.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: pontifex
if I give you a pile of dog shit for free, thats good? lol

i played tried it out awhile back also and it was horrible. i din't find the controls too bad but its your typical korean grindfest type mmorpg (or it was back then anyway). they probably made it F2P because no one wants to pay to play a crappy game.

For what it's worth, Codemasters was basically handcuffed with what could be done with the US port of the game at the time. They had to wait for the original devs to do anything or approve any change. When I left, I know Codemasters was actively trying to secure full rights to the game. I have no idea if it happened, but they may have, and this "EP2 update" may actually have changed a lot about the game. I wouldn't know because I haven't tried it.

But I for the most part agree with your assessment. Still, it's a free game that someone might like...

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I also tried it a long time ago..for about an hour. Unless they changed anything significant - you couldn't pay me to play [and thus probably why it's free now]