Free Comic Book Day

AStar617

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2002
Originally posted by: mikeford
I wonder if they are prepared for the A effect.

With the collapse of the comic speculation market in the late 90s, I'm sure they welcome unexpected response with open arms... it's no coincidence that it is scheduled for July 3, the day after Spider-Man 2 is released and thus the day of largest chance for general public interest. (as paraphrased from their FAQ).

Also my bday as well, kinda funny since I haven't actively collected since the 90s, but I probably wouldve pissed myself back in eighth grade, during the height of my "addiction"... :Q lol

cix22

Feb 12, 2003
Originally posted by: AStar617
Originally posted by: mikeford
I wonder if they are prepared for the A effect.

With the collapse of the comic speculation market in the late 90s, I'm sure they welcome unexpected response with open arms... it's no coincidence that it is scheduled for July 3, the day after Spider-Man 2 is released and thus the day of largest chance for general public interest. (as paraphrased from their FAQ).

Also my bday as well, kinda funny since I haven't actively collected since the 90s, but I probably wouldve pissed myself back in eighth grade, during the height of my "addiction"... :Q lol

Spider-Man 2 opened yesterday (Wednesday, 6/30)... I know, I went and watched it and really enjoyed it. :)

But you're probably right about Free Comic Book day coinciding around the time that SM2 was released.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Sweet. I live less than a mile from a participating comic book store. I may have to take my son over there just for the hell of it.

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
Comics are no longer kiddie stuff folks. If you enjoy the movies, pick up a Spiderman/X-men graphic novel. Good stuff.

I got back to comics when X2 came out, hadn't read them since I was a kid, and I was completely blown away by how mature and well written these books were.
I HIGHLY recommend anything by Brian Micheal Bendis, whos groundbreaking Daredevil is the best superhero crime fiction I've ever read.

suspectbanana

Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: sMiLeYz
Comics are no longer kiddie stuff folks. If you enjoy the movies, pick up a Spiderman/X-men graphic novel. Good stuff.

I got back to comics when X2 came out, hadn't read them since I was a kid, and I was completely blown away by how mature and well written these books were.
I HIGHLY recommend anything by Brian Micheal Bendis, whos groundbreaking Daredevil is the best superhero crime fiction I've ever read.

And please look into writers such as Neil Gaiman, Alan Moore, Warren Ellis, Garth Ennis, Frank Miller and Grant Morrison, just to name a few. They, along with many other talented individuals, have been telling complex and compelling stories in comic books for years. It's time we did away with this foolish notion that comic books and cartoons are just for kids.

and thanks to the OP for the post. I missed it last year and this year, it coincides with my birthday so it'll be a nice excuse to run down to my local comic shop and pick up a few trade paperbacks.

ComputerMonkey

Sep 25, 2002
I just got back from a local shop. I hit the motherload. I thought that I would just get one comic, but they let me take as many as I liked. Maybe because it was getting near the end of the day. I ended up with ten different ones. The artwork is amazing in some of them.

I was only briefly interested in comics in the early nineties around the time when Spawn came out. This has totally rekindled my interest though. I'm definately going to go back to that store and spend some bucks. Yay a new hobby!

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Awesome find guys... I missed it too, but signed up for their newsletter! HOT! Also see my sig if you want to sell your comics :)

dcdomain

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
I brought my little cousin into my local store. They ran some deals along with the free comic book day, so I bought a bunch of 50 cent comics, and a few GL trade paperbacks for my little cousin.