Free Car Worth The Expenses ?

UnatcoAgent

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Evening all.

Quick question for you.

My girlfriend has been offered a free car by her uncle. It's a 92 corolla, I believe the 4 door non station wagon model, might be the 2 door. I have the same car, same model but the wagon, it's been wonderful, no major repairs, still runs wonderfully.

The problem is that she thinks it's going to cost about 500$ in taxes to have the car handed over, along with plates and some used car kit. Not sure on these prices, but it will probably cost a lot of cash for her. She's 19 and isn't making millions, yet.

Anyway, the car I know had some troubles in the past, but apparently has been fixed and is 'certified'. What do you guys think ? Free car but is it worth the cost ?

yobarman

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
i got a free car from my grandparents when i was about 18-19, didn't cost too much cause our insurance agent is cool and the transfer only cost like 90 bucks... she should be more worried about paying insurance

UnatcoAgent

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Originally posted by: yobarman
i got a free car from my grandparents when i was about 18-19, didn't cost too much cause our insurance agent is cool and the transfer only cost like 90 bucks... she should be more worried about paying insurance

She is, that's also an issue that has to be addressed right now.

I dunno..

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
based on the limited info in your post, kelly shows $1950 for that car. something pretty major would have to break to come close to that, so she should come out ahead. no way will taxes be $500.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Yossarian
based on the limited info in your post, kelly shows $1950 for that car. something pretty major would have to break to come close to that, so she should come out ahead. no way will taxes be $500.

I agree.

Don't worry about it.
Take the car. If she doesnt want it, I'll take it.

UnatcoAgent

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Originally posted by: krunchykrome
Originally posted by: Yossarian

I agree.

Don't worry about it.
Take the car. If she doesnt want it, I'll take it.

Alright , thanks guys.

UnatcoAgent

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
This is based on the American blue book pricing right ? We're in Ontario - should have mentioned that :)